Windshield for st3 - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 22 Old 06-04-12, 23:31 Thread Starter
old&ugly

Question Windshield for st3

I need some kind of windshield installed if I am to keep taking the bike on the highway. After certain speeds the wind is brutal and I can't feel my upper body if I keep riding nonstop for a 200-300 km stretches.

I have my flyscreen ordered from Triumph as a part of the free accessories kit but I don't believe it will give me the wind protection I need.

What windshields are you guys sporting on your ST3? What's the best option for the windshield for the (cough) spirited (cough) highway riding? Pictures will be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 00:03
tnr4

Howdy,

I've got a thread around here somewhere about the Dart Manta screen. I was in the same boat as you, as I really like taking long rides, so I wanted something fairly substantial but not ridiculous-looking. I'm a pretty big fan of the set up I landed on. Another guy on here ordered it as well, and he seemed to be pretty happy too. Here are a few pics.

Hope that helps!

tnr

NinjaEdit: Here is the thread I originally started on it: https://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...t=58793&page=4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040367.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	30835   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040377.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	30836   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040375.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	30837   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040451_3.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	30838  

Let's just say I like to change bikes...
post #3 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 00:13
cjjmls

I found that the flyscreen provides a decent amount of wind protection. I have no troubles with her up on the interstate(even in the more spirited rides). I like the feel of the wind though, which is one reason i ride the naked bikes.
i did see this while randomly searching for parts
http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/stre...eel-6731-p.asp
looks a little overkill to me, but if its lets you ride comfortably then go for it

post #4 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 00:35 Thread Starter
old&ugly
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Howdy,

I've got a thread around here somewhere about the Dart Manta screen. I was in the same boat as you, as I really like taking long rides, so I wanted something fairly substantial but not ridiculous-looking. I'm a pretty big fan of the set up I landed on. Another guy on here ordered it as well, and he seemed to be pretty happy too. Here are a few pics.

Hope that helps!

tnr

NinjaEdit: Here is the thread I originally started on it: https://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...t=58793&page=4
WOW!!! Many thanks tnr4!!! I love everything about it. The size is just right! Reminds me of a supersport windscreen but no fairings. I will read the whole thread tomorrow for details and will bother you with more questions if any left after the reading. GREAT!!!
post #5 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 01:14
TripRider
Banned

wash water

Last edited by TripRider; 06-16-12 at 07:11.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 03:11
ANZAC

This subject get battered around a lot so here is what I finally did:

Triumph Flyscreen with Powerbronze Light Screen.

This gives me pretty good protection for the clocks as mine sprung a leak and was covered just under warranty. I ride year round in the PNW so I don't want this to happen again.

Regarding the airflow - the Streety is pretty smooth with minimal buffeting. My Powerbronze screen moves the air upwards to chest level but still pretty smooth. You need to hit the tank when speeds climb but at least you have coverage.

My recommendation is so live with her for awhile before you make your move

He has Risen
post #7 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 06:31
Orangeman
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripRider View Post
Is this a joke?
"You get a naked street fighter, then whine about wind?
This must be a joke. Don't act like a Little Girl.
If you need a windshield, radio, and cup holder... get a Hardly."

Man up, lie down on the tank cafe style on the highway,.Dude,
take breaks. Besides we only have about 128 mile range before the little orange friend glows for gas..."help help...feed me fuel"...so you have to stop.

...........oops....OP..you are a girl....yeah it's a joke back to you. almost kidding....gotcha

But really, get tank bag, lie on bag on highway, tuck arms, take breaks, enjoy your very cool bike and the sometimes cool wind blow of the ride.
Hate to give bad news, Triumph nose shield screen does near zero wind improvement. Besides, Wind Keeps your speed honest and under three digits. No fairing means there are unpleasant rider comfort consequences of high speed. .....unlike you spoiled Daytona fairing kids

What I'd like is a bigger tank capacity. But what.... "I buy a naked, street fighter, then whine about tank capacity." :-) AND No....I won't... be buyin me.... a Hardly. Besides i'm not good enough to sip a cherry big slurp from a cup holder and brake/downshift/stop. Those straws will get my eye when I stop quick. Eye protection and a helmet would mess up my hair....besides a Hardly is about bein a cool kid at the bar...bein seen... and bein heard...pipes save lives ya know!."

Really: You will Love the ST3 when you become acquainted, give it time. Good choice you made. Congrats. You did well on purchase. Whoever said, "you can't buy smiles or happiness has not ridden a Street Triple."

Please Note: just kidding to you Hardly ever rides her. So peace. yes I am that wise ass on the Brit Bike at the Hardly events. "Love it when you call my bike a jap POS rice burner." (Yes I'm smiling under my dark tint shield.)
Actually I like all flavors of two wheeled machines. Peace to my Vespa bro's and sis's.
No Hardly's were ridden in this spoof. (few are)....there I go...can't stop myself. Just kidding....almost. Peace.

Do your parents know you are using their computer after bedtime

How about a little respect, this isn't a squid bike forum.

post #8 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 08:39
neyzen

hmm.. at legal speeds I find the wind isn't a problem at all. but north of 170km/h it really wants to rip your head off.. a small windscreen isn't going to do much at those speeds i think?..

i must say, trn4, that windscreen looks good... nice bike..
post #9 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 09:15
pokeyjoe

Might I suggest you take it one step at a time. Try it with just the flyscreen for awhile. Many of us have discovered that it removes a lot of the blast and we don't need a windscreen. If, after riding it with just the flyscreen for a couple weeks, you think you want more, then go for it. If not, you'll have a flyscreen without holes in it on your bike.

If a British high school dropout can put it together, I can take it apart.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-05-12, 10:26
tnr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old&ugly View Post
WOW!!! Many thanks tnr4!!! I love everything about it. The size is just right! Reminds me of a supersport windscreen but no fairings. I will read the whole thread tomorrow for details and will bother you with more questions if any left after the reading. GREAT!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyzen View Post
hmm.. at legal speeds I find the wind isn't a problem at all. but north of 170km/h it really wants to rip your head off.. a small windscreen isn't going to do much at those speeds i think?..

i must say, trn4, that windscreen looks good... nice bike..
Thanks! And OP: no prob -- happy to answer any questions!

It's true that at high speeds, a small screen doesn't do A LOT, but it still gives you something to tuck behind. But the most important thing it does, I've found, is provide some relief from the worst of the wind at about 50-70mph. Since that's where most of my superslab cruising is -- while trying to get to the twisty bits -- it's really worth the price for that.

Plus, I think it looks pretty good.

tnr

Let's just say I like to change bikes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement