Dart Manta: Reviewed! (page 4) - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 47 Old 01-05-12, 16:44 Thread Starter
tnr4

Dart Manta: Reviewed! (page 4)

Anyone know anything about this? I think it must be new -- hadn't come across it before. I'm hoping to take the Streety on some pretty decent touring next year, and wonder if this really provides any more wind protection than the stock flyscreen/visor combo. I also wonder how easy it is to install/uninstall. Looks pretty simple since it doesn't require the flyscreen, but I wouldn't want it on there permanently -- just for long trips.

Opinions?
tnr

Last edited by tnr4; 02-17-12 at 20:27.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-05-12, 17:12
ANZAC

I looked into this screen awhile back and it looks pretty good. Might provide better protection than the Triumph Streety or Speedy versions.

It's made in England too

He has Risen
post #3 of 47 Old 01-05-12, 17:20 Thread Starter
tnr4
Threadstarter Threadstarter

That's what I was thinking too. Here's the link, BTW, so you don't have to google it: http://www.british-customs.com/produ...cat=316&page=1.

tnr

post #4 of 47 Old 01-05-12, 20:31
ANZAC

Thanks for the link.

BTW, over on the RAT boards - they have postings and links too. They make screens for other bikes as well like the Bonnies and Thruxtons.

He has Risen
post #5 of 47 Old 01-06-12, 01:06
Ken M1

Thanks for the link! I'm definitely interested! If this is a "quick detach" (or at least reasonably quick without adjusting things), then I'll be all over this thing. Barracuda makes a sweet looking one also, but that one requires using the headlight through bolt (which means adjustment of lights EVERY time you install/reinstall). If this screen (AND bracketry) comes off quickly WITHOUT adjustment of anything (time consuming), this could be a winner!
We need a guinea pig to "test" this and give a full report
post #6 of 47 Old 01-06-12, 08:57 Thread Starter
tnr4
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken M1 View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm definitely interested! If this is a "quick detach" (or at least reasonably quick without adjusting things), then I'll be all over this thing. Barracuda makes a sweet looking one also, but that one requires using the headlight through bolt (which means adjustment of lights EVERY time you install/reinstall). If this screen (AND bracketry) comes off quickly WITHOUT adjustment of anything (time consuming), this could be a winner!
We need a guinea pig to "test" this and give a full report
Lol. Well, I may indeed by a guinea pig, but not until spring -- I don't ride long enough in the winter to justify it now. But I spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at wind protection yesterday, and I think I may well buy this one come time. The folks over at RAT seem to be pretty happy with it, with one guy saying that the air goes clear over the helmet. I'm 6'1", so I'm guessing it won't be quite that good for me, but even a decent help, plus the ability to tuck behind it occasionally, could make this the right one. Plus, I personally think it looks pretty trick -- maybe even better than the OEM flyscreen/visor.

EDIT: Ken, this is from Dart's FAQ. "How easy is it to fit?
Very easy. You'll need a couple of spanners or Allen keys, twenty minutes and that's it. The screen uses the standard headlamp brackets and if it's carefully fitted, you won't even need to readjust the headlamp. Please note that the screen may not fit some bikes with aftermarket instruments - please enquire before ordering." One of the testimonials claimed a 5 min install. FTW.
tnr

Last edited by tnr4; 01-06-12 at 09:29.
post #7 of 47 Old 01-06-12, 09:45
Neanderthal

Garage
That does look like it would be pretty functional, and not fugly at the same time. Since they do not show it, I am assuming it won't work if you have the OEM flyscreen attached?
post #8 of 47 Old 01-06-12, 20:50
Phantom

Screen

says it only works with the std Street - not the R
post #9 of 47 Old 01-06-12, 21:57
Ken M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Lol. Well, I may indeed by a guinea pig, but not until spring -- I don't ride long enough in the winter to justify it now. But I spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at wind protection yesterday, and I think I may well buy this one come time. The folks over at RAT seem to be pretty happy with it, with one guy saying that the air goes clear over the helmet. I'm 6'1", so I'm guessing it won't be quite that good for me, but even a decent help, plus the ability to tuck behind it occasionally, could make this the right one. Plus, I personally think it looks pretty trick -- maybe even better than the OEM flyscreen/visor.

EDIT: Ken, this is from Dart's FAQ. "How easy is it to fit?
Very easy. You'll need a couple of spanners or Allen keys, twenty minutes and that's it. The screen uses the standard headlamp brackets and if it's carefully fitted, you won't even need to readjust the headlamp. Please note that the screen may not fit some bikes with aftermarket instruments - please enquire before ordering." One of the testimonials claimed a 5 min install. FTW.
tnr
Thanks! I wonder which "headlamp brackets" they are talking about? Hopefully not the throughbolt (as Barracuda uses. Nothing wrong with that mount, I just don't like the idea of messing with the headlights constantly since I'd take it on and off often). Hopefully it uses the bolts that hold the headlight/cluster assembly to the frame! That would be sweet! Hopefully someone who has one will chime in and let us know exactly which bolts it uses. Thanks for the info!
post #10 of 47 Old 01-09-12, 10:16
neuroboy

the dart one looks pretty sharp but it's still not as clean looking as I'd like. allow me to quote the description:
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishcustoms
We knew we wanted to make a screen for it, but what approach to adopt? The essence of “Streetfighter” style is to avoid a “factory” look – certain parts of the bike should look like they’re from different sources and an element of disharmony is important. This is the intention with the Manta screen – it’s styled like something from a sports bike, but deliberately avoids an overly-integrated look.
ok, in my humble opinion that's ridiculous. correct me if i'm wrong but here's my translation of that description:
Quote:
Oh you want a unique bike that you cobbled together from whatever parts you could find, especially parts meant for other bikes, you know, so it looks all piece-meal? Well here you go, we made a part for your bike that LOOKS like it's not for your bike! We did all the work for you! You too can be a trail-blazing individual, just like everyone else who orders this part.
amirite?

. . . or am i just an inveterate cynic? heh.

edit: that said, when I had my Bonnie I got a Dart flyscreen for it and the fit and finish were top notch, so this is definitely my pick for my roadtrip next summer

Last edited by neuroboy; 01-27-12 at 15:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement