Lay It On Me Boys! - TuneECU - Total Triumph Newb Tuning Junkie - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-19, 23:18 Thread Starter
High on Octane

Lay It On Me Boys! - TuneECU - Total Triumph Newb Tuning Junkie

Hey Everyone! First post and first Triumph. Last week I traded in my custom 2001 Harley Road King for a mint bone stock 2014 Street Triple R with 6900 miles on it. And, what can I can say? I am thoroughly impressed and a little obsessed with this thing. I'm a little old school. I've been wrenching and riding since 1991 at age 13. I have always been really good at jetting and tuning carbs, points, and all that other ancient stuff. But, my Road King came with a PC-V and immediately dove into building maps. I was eventually able to build a real solid map without a dyno. But, I guess with with our lovely Triumphs we can tap into the stock ECM with an app called TuneECU and a Bluetooth OBDLink scan tool.

I have a Two Brothers S1R slip on coming in on Tuesday and will be installing that immediately. But, besides tuning, I don't plan on any other performance mods except maybe a BMC race air filter, and an air box mod if there happens to be one. But, honestly, the sound of the stock intake is one of my favorite features.

So, here come the questions that I've been having trouble getting solid answers on. With tuneECU I see the subscrition is $10.99 USD. Is that a 1 time purchase or monthly subscription? Also, what is the best recommended scan tool that is going to be the most reliable? Are there any risks of ECM damage? Do you have full control over the entire fuel curve and tunable from your phone?

General performance question: Are the Daytona camshafts a direct bolt in swap?

And lastly, does anyone have a map for a 2014 Street R ABS - VIN 688*** - Stock Air Filter and Box - 2 Bros S1R (or similar wide open slip on)?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-12-19, 23:22 Thread Starter
High on Octane
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Here's the new ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_093509_HDR(1)_resized.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	250983  
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-19, 11:59
Plasmablaster

Garage
Hi there,

the only thing I can reliably answer to is that the cost of TuneECU is a one-off purchase, or at least it was when I got it about 18 months ago. Connectivity with your bike requires special OTG usb cable or Bluetooth.

If you want a more customisable monitoring app, Torque Pro is very good. You can choose any parameter the ECU can provide and show it on your phone's/tablet's screen as a gauge in any size you want. Tune ECU can do that too but the letters are so small you can not really look at them while riding. Torque of course can not read or write maps on your bike's ECU.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-13-19, 14:45 Thread Starter
High on Octane
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Thanks PB! That gives me a little bit more knowledge. I did see the Torque app mentioned while reading about the OBD Link Bluetooth tool. But, I hadn't looked into yet.

So, I'm assuming if you get a handlebar phone mount you can gather live data while riding and build new maps accordingly?

2014 Street Triple R ABS
Riding & Wrenching Since 1991
post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-19, 05:30
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by High on Octane View Post
So, I'm assuming if you get a handlebar phone mount you can gather live data while riding and build new maps accordingly?

Yes. Of course you'll also need a wideband O2 sensor to do that.

My rig consisted of the phone running Torque, that provided RPMs and throttle %, the wideband gauge and a camera with a tripod tied on the tank that recorded all the values. I went for a ride and tried to ride in all possible scenarios - slow roll-ons at various gears, normal cruising, acceleration from mild to the hardest possible. According to the data I then compiled a spreadsheet and saw what kind of alterations were needed. It is mostly the low throttle that needs addressing, in my case it was overly lean (you aim for 13.5 a/f for best response and power).

The method is not very accurate of course, as it's no dyno work but it is huuugely better than no tuning at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement