low side crash and throttle response. - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #11 of 20 Old 08-21-19, 00:14
ramnakhle

Garage
low side crash and throttle response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaxy View Post
Damn I'm embarrassed to say I didn't research torque charts but I'm glad you said something. Found this gem of an chart comparing the 675r to everything else: https://images.app.goo.gl/nBPcs9LWVZ1dDx259

So my mapped r6 essentially was a shit baseline to go off of and doodoo compared the the triple which acts more like a 750 or an 848 evo. +1 for hamfisting it then. That being said shes getting a PCV and map as soon as I find a shop that's worth a damn. I'll play with the chain tension and throttle tensions as well though they pass all the basic tests. One of the drills I work on in the neighborhood and at the dirt track is applying just enough throttle to tighten the top chain line while effecting the chasis is little as possible. I feel that amount of fidelity just isn't there right now and it's way harder than it needs to be on this beast. My brothers 1198 doesn't even punch like this.

+1 for cold tires and shit track conditions. Bunch of offs there all weekend, and the track safety guy "thought" an oil spill was "hopefully" cleaned up there during the riders meeting....like, what? Also should have thrown on the tire warmers when offered but I've never used em before and wanted to get a gauge on pressure changes hot off the track. This is the first crowd i've seen hate on dunlops. Q3+s are all I know and I can get sets for under $200. But like the r6 comparison maybe they're not a good enough tire for the torque? What do 675rs like for rubber?

I have never tried Dunlops so I canít speak for or against them.

I have tried these and here is my experience with them in a nutshell:

- Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP (stock tire on my 675R). Amazing grip, but very quick to wear and slow to warm up. Overkill for street riding.

- Bridgestone RS10: quicker to warm up lasts longer than, but not as sticky as, the super corsa. Front tire has a bit less aggressive profile, so it is less flickable and fights back more during trail braking.

- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa: quick to warm up, decent grip, outlasts both above options. Feels tame and steady and is a good option for street riding.

- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II (current tire)
The best tire compromise with grip levels close to the Supercorsa (Shoulders made of track SC compound). Warms up literally in minutes of normal street riding. Front tire is very responsive and leaning is telepathic. Treadwear is excellent. This is my favorite tire so far.

Hope this helps.

You have to understand you can high / low side any tire with ease if you donít know what youíre doing.
Warm up your tires (you donít really need warmers unless youíre using track compounds) just ride your first laps slowly and build up your pace. You will get a feel of your rear tireís grip limits and just how much throttle you can hammer in in different situations. Iím now at a point where I feel like my bike is connected to my brain! But she can still throw some surprises if Iím riding like an ass.

Practice makes perfect.
+1 for PCV/Bazzaz/ tune ecu and a decent dyno tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 08-21-19, 01:13
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I can see it and it works right now. Do you have a blocker?

Nope. But if I right click on the header, I can watch it in Youtube.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-21-19, 08:15
cyclesailor955

Word of Advice

I use Q3+ on my 675 and on my S1000RR for track riding.
First lap on the track accelerate on the straights reasonably hard with the bike on the center of the tire.
Apply hard braking as you approach the corner with the bike vertical. Release the front brake and Roll through the corner.
Upon corner exit roll on the throttle hard and brake hard into the next corner and release the brakes and roll through the corner.
REPEAT the above procedure for the 1st lap.Then "Turn & Burn!".

post #14 of 20 Old 08-21-19, 23:08 Thread Starter
Shaxy
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnakhle View Post
I have never tried Dunlops so I canít speak for or against them.

I have tried these and here is my experience with them in a nutshell:

- Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP (stock tire on my 675R). Amazing grip, but very quick to wear and slow to warm up. Overkill for street riding.

- Bridgestone RS10: quicker to warm up lasts longer than, but not as sticky as, the super corsa. Front tire has a bit less aggressive profile, so it is less flickable and fights back more during trail braking.

- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa: quick to warm up, decent grip, outlasts both above options. Feels tame and steady and is a good option for street riding.

- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II (current tire)
The best tire compromise with grip levels close to the Supercorsa (Shoulders made of track SC compound). Warms up literally in minutes of normal street riding. Front tire is very responsive and leaning is telepathic. Treadwear is excellent. This is my favorite tire so far.

Hope this helps.

You have to understand you can high / low side any tire with ease if you donít know what youíre doing.
Warm up your tires (you donít really need warmers unless youíre using track compounds) just ride your first laps slowly and build up your pace. You will get a feel of your rear tireís grip limits and just how much throttle you can hammer in in different situations. Iím now at a point where I feel like my bike is connected to my brain! But she can still throw some surprises if Iím riding like an ass.

Practice makes perfect.
+1 for PCV/Bazzaz/ tune ecu and a decent dyno tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best break down of pirellis I've seen, thanks. I'm pretty sure I actually pulled the stock SPs off, year says 13. If I find some good prices over the winter I'll experiment a little but its really hard to beat the deal I get on Q3+s. I'm really interested in the TDs but no one has em in stock.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-21-19, 23:26 Thread Starter
Shaxy
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesailor955 View Post
I use Q3+ on my 675 and on my S1000RR for track riding.
First lap on the track accelerate on the straights reasonably hard with the bike on the center of the tire.
Apply hard braking as you approach the corner with the bike vertical. Release the front brake and Roll through the corner.
Upon corner exit roll on the throttle hard and brake hard into the next corner and release the brakes and roll through the corner.
REPEAT the above procedure for the 1st lap.Then "Turn & Burn!".
Textbook approach man. This is what I aim to do every time I go out and even more exaggerated on a race warmup lap. I was just kinda shocked because I don't think I could have rolled through that corner any slower without being a danger to others. I probably could have waited a few more moments after the apex to get on the throttle, but again, grip was just gone completely with no warning. I've been down before, but never that quickly or without some sort of feedback warning from the bike. I do hang off a ton and try to reduce lean angle as much as I can.

On positive note, if this bike is really is that powerful then I'm excited to master it. I've read some folks with triumphs like to get on the throttle early and maintain it before hitting the apex. I'm definitely more accustomed to a combination of trail braking and closed throttle turning at lowest/gear high RPM, and then getting the bike upright and on full gas as quickly as possible. Keeping a 300 above 9k RPM was way fun.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-29-19, 00:20
Sportytoes

I have been using Dunlops for quite a while. Yes I have crashed first lap on a cold front. I have many many track days done (double digits easy). Never used warmers. Crashed once on a cold tire (3rd turn). My fault. Crash another time clipping a tall curb on the first lap. Not shock there.

Yes, the torque on the 675 took some readjustment for me. You acclimate to it

Oil on the track? At lower speeds you spend a longer time in contact with it. Higher speeds on small spots may actually be less unsettling.

Unplug the quickshifter. Rule that out as a possible malfunction. Super easy to check.

I also had a quick turn throttle at one point. With all the torque it was way too touchy. Harder to modulate. Too hard for me anyway.

Any or all of these things that may be working against you? What do you think? Interested to hear what you find. Always interested in learning from others.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-29-19, 18:05
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
I can't read Greek so no clue what it said at the end of the video, but, I don't see how that was the fault of the tires. You can see that the front of the bike was in the air just as the rider was coming out of a lean. Too much throttle caused that slide.

This was a warm-up lap... the "front in the air" was just a pothole that is invisible due to the low quality of the video. What happened was that the front tyre negotiated the pothole fine but when the rear got over it... bang - instant and complete loss of traction without warning or any progressiveness whatsoever.

The crash was a combination of 3 factors: 1. The pothole itself, 2. A defective shock absorber that never really absorbed anything nomatter what adjustments I made (I replaced it and never dared sell it to anyone) and finally 3. The vicious nature of the Dunlop Sport Smarts which took forever to warmup and slid like hell until they were properly warm. I had many scares on them because of that reason and I was kind of wary against them.... but still I crashed.

Greek captions more or less summarize what I wrote above.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-31-19, 15:34
Arawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaxy View Post
Damn I'm embarrassed to say I didn't research torque charts but I'm glad you said something. Found this gem of an chart comparing the 675r to everything else: https://images.app.goo.gl/nBPcs9LWVZ1dDx259

Weird, that explains why the Daytona felt so natural coming from a GSXR-750; but both feel like geared GSXR 600 (I know, flame suit on).

But that graph also makes it pretty evident why I loathe the R6, it's just too weak down low. In the street it doesn't start making power until you're past the speed limit and it's pretty unforgiving if you are not in the right gear at the track. Fell in love with the GSXR because of its friendliness, that torque down low made it very forgiving and allows for a more relaxed ride on the street.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-13-19, 11:29
Larzzz

Send a message via AIM to Larzzz Send a message via MSN to Larzzz Send a message via Yahoo to Larzzz
I agree w/ ramnakhle...cold tires! Go get back on that bike and get your confidence back!!
post #20 of 20 Old 10-13-19, 01:32
Ken

You seem like a more experienced rider than I am. I have 0 track time, no track near me :(. I just got my triple a few weeks ago. Coming from a sv650 I was used to the low end torque, but it was still nerve wrecking to see all around power without any fall off, jaw dropping man.

What speed were you going into the turn? I feel like it's not your fault here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement