Gopro custom chin mount DIY w/pics - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-15, 12:27 Thread Starter
SpaceCaptain

Garage
Gopro custom chin mount DIY w/pics

After a few months of experimenting with gopro placement on the helmet, i came to grips that the "best" place for a POV is the chin. Unless you have an HJC, i've found that most helmets have the agressive chin cut that does not provide a flat'ish surface to mount your gopro. So my solution was to custom mold a mount. It was fairly easy and took a couple hours of work. Most of the time spent is waiting for the stuff to set and cure.

Anyway, here is a DIY PDF of the process. Use at your own risk and logic. I make no claims to its safety and effectiveness.
It has been almost 3 months since i've made them and they are still holding strong, doing a great job on my helmets.

Please enjoy, constructive feedback is always welcome

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6a...ew?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-15, 12:36
Bamboo671

Garage
Nicely done! I currently have mine mounted on the side but have recently started mounting the camera on the tank. I like the tank mount just because of the safety aspects in the event have an off and I don't want the camera snagging and ripping my head a direction I don't want. I do however like the helmet mount because essentially looks where I am. I check my mirrors when I come to a stop so it sees in there and also gives an idea of what is happening around me if something horrible happens like being struck by a car!

Great job though! Looks like a ton of work and time needed to be dedicated to it but it came out great!

1997 YZF100R/Thunderace - She committed suicide 15Mar07!
2008 Daytona 675 - She was murdered 30Jan13
2013 Daytona 675R - Sexy reincarnation 15Mar13! Here's my build

"Win or learn...never lose"
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-15, 13:02 Thread Starter
SpaceCaptain
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks!
The POV is pretty wide, i have been using a gopro 3+ that has superview (a bit wider than the standard look), and lining up the angle with the line of the visor (down slightly). I get all the road, sky, and the speedo in the shot. Which is sometimes a bit incriminating.... but oh well.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-15, 13:44
Neanderthal

Garage
Very nice! I used clear packing tape over the Shoei's chin bar, then added a glob of JB Weld. After that cured, it was easy to remove the block of JB, and grind/sand to required shape. Just a matter of adding some 3M VHB tape to the back side and I was good to go. I epoxied a GoPro J-Hook to the front side.

Sugru looks like the way to go. I haven't made a video in over a year - just lost the interest/time required to do it, lol. Just an FYI, most Arai helmet chin bars are very GoPro friendly. The J-Hook easily went right on my RX-Q and the orientation was perfect.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-15, 14:07
Bamboo671

Garage
I have an Arai RX-Q now. Care to share how that worked or did you still have to build a little bit for it to get on flush?

1997 YZF100R/Thunderace - She committed suicide 15Mar07!
2008 Daytona 675 - She was murdered 30Jan13
2013 Daytona 675R - Sexy reincarnation 15Mar13! Here's my build

"Win or learn...never lose"
post #6 of 9 Old 02-25-15, 14:17
Neanderthal

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo671 View Post
I have an Arai RX-Q now. Care to share how that worked or did you still have to build a little bit for it to get on flush?
Sorry for the craptastic photo quality. I believe it's just the plain "curved" base mount. I don't remember if I added an extra layer to the tape or not, as I had some extra VHB at the time. Has never moved a bit in that position.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-15, 08:40
NateOne

Cool idea. I usually ride mine on my bars.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-15, 09:32
Decipher

Great idea. I don't want mine hanging on top of my helmet so I've also had mine mounted to the bars. Good view but not good for looking around which is where it matters. I'm going to look into this option with my new lid.

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-15, 09:46
biggziff

There are several videos on youtube showing how to walk through this with similar technique.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement