CVMA January round: Roll call - Triumph675.Net Forums
675's racing in world wide club & regional events Daytona 675 racing news from CRA, CSS, MRO, Ireland, IOM TT, WSMC, etc. This includes club and regional events from around the world!

post #1 of 6 Old 12-12-15, 18:29 Thread Starter
aftriathlete

CVMA January round: Roll call

Hey gents, did my first race at Arroyo last month, and I'm going to make it to CVMA for next month's Friday track day and Saturday races. I've seen a couple on here post they race or at least ride at Chuck -- who all's gonna be there?

I'm already signed up for the track day, but I'm still debating on what races I'll run. Do they normally post the race schedule up in the weeks before?

My first time at Chuck, and I'm very amateur, so any local knowledge/tips/lines would be welcome :)

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-15-15, 15:09
Marcismo55

Garage
Awesome! The more Triumph's we can get out there, the better! You can view some of my races HERE and maybe get a better idea of some of the lines before you arrive there at the track. My best laptime there is a 1:54.03 for reference.

I'll be there on Friday as well and can try my best to help you out. I pit with the Low Budget Racing crew next to the big white canopy the rider's meeting is held in.

As for races, for your first time out I would recommend you sign up for the Amateur Supersport Middleweight and Formula Middleweight classes for both days. As an amateur, I started racing up a class in the Amateur Supersport Open and Formula Open classes since their laptimes were only slightly faster than mine.

Make sure you have a front brake lever guard as CVMA just implemented that requirement this season and it is mandatory.

Feel free to PM me or I'll pop in this thread if you have any other questions

Cheers,
Marcus

Current:'16 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Previous:'12 Daytona 675R-SOLD
TrackXperience Trackdays
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-15, 15:58 Thread Starter
aftriathlete
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcismo55 View Post
Awesome! The more Triumph's we can get out there, the better! You can view some of my races HERE and maybe get a better idea of some of the lines before you arrive there at the track. My best laptime there is a 1:54.03 for reference.

I'll be there on Friday as well and can try my best to help you out. I pit with the Low Budget Racing crew next to the big white canopy the rider's meeting is held in.

As for races, for your first time out I would recommend you sign up for the Amateur Supersport Middleweight and Formula Middleweight classes for both days. As an amateur, I started racing up a class in the Amateur Supersport Open and Formula Open classes since their laptimes were only slightly faster than mine.

Make sure you have a front brake lever guard as CVMA just implemented that requirement this season and it is mandatory.

Feel free to PM me or I'll pop in this thread if you have any other questions

Cheers,
Marcus
Hey Marcus, I figured you would be there from some of your other posts. Woo buddy, a 1:54 is fast -- honestly I'm hoping to get into the 1:59s, but who knows, I've never been there. I ran in the 1:19s at Arroyo last month my first day ever riding the bike (Formula lap record there is 1:05.9), so getting in the 1:59s I think is possible. It's a goal to shoot for anyway. Right now I'm just planning on the track day Friday then race Saturday and head home Sunday, so with that said, if the race day schedule is the same as the November round Saturday schedule, I think I'll run AM SS MW, AM Formula MW, and AM SS Open since those are pretty spaced out throughout the day. I read thru the rulebook last week and I just placed an order through TRS for a cheapish ($60 shipped) pair of brake/clutch lever guards -- I doubt how well they crash, but it'll get me on the track next month at least. I just have a couple more things to drill/safety wire since ASMA doesn't require as much.

I'll be in a red Silverado with a red trailer -- I'll look for your tent and say hello. Thanks for the video link too, I started watching a couple youtube vids this weekend, I found one useful one in CCW direction of a guy running about 1:58s.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999

post #4 of 6 Old 12-15-15, 16:35
Marcismo55

Garage
It's not too bad but I need to drop a lot of time to be competitive with all these beast R6's out there. I think most of the amateurs who are getting podiums are in the 1:56-57 range. A sub 2:00 would be a nice initial goal for your first time at the track. A group on Friday's is usually running a pretty quick pace so just a heads up.

As for the races, yeah you definitely do not want to have your races too close together. I've made that mistake once and had to pay the price due to fatigue.

Some of my older videos might be a bit more representative of the lap times you're shooting for but you would be better off looking at the newer videos.

I'll be sure to keep a lookout for you in the pits come January! My 675R is all black by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
Hey Marcus, I figured you would be there from some of your other posts. Woo buddy, a 1:54 is fast -- honestly I'm hoping to get into the 1:59s, but who knows, I've never been there. I ran in the 1:19s at Arroyo last month my first day ever riding the bike (Formula lap record there is 1:05.9), so getting in the 1:59s I think is possible. It's a goal to shoot for anyway. Right now I'm just planning on the track day Friday then race Saturday and head home Sunday, so with that said, if the race day schedule is the same as the November round Saturday schedule, I think I'll run AM SS MW, AM Formula MW, and AM SS Open since those are pretty spaced out throughout the day. I read thru the rulebook last week and I just placed an order through TRS for a cheapish ($60 shipped) pair of brake/clutch lever guards -- I doubt how well they crash, but it'll get me on the track next month at least. I just have a couple more things to drill/safety wire since ASMA doesn't require as much.

I'll be in a red Silverado with a red trailer -- I'll look for your tent and say hello. Thanks for the video link too, I started watching a couple youtube vids this weekend, I found one useful one in CCW direction of a guy running about 1:58s.

TrackXperience Trackdays
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-16, 18:35 Thread Starter
aftriathlete
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcismo55 View Post
It's not too bad but I need to drop a lot of time to be competitive with all these beast R6's out there. I think most of the amateurs who are getting podiums are in the 1:56-57 range. A sub 2:00 would be a nice initial goal for your first time at the track. A group on Friday's is usually running a pretty quick pace so just a heads up.

As for the races, yeah you definitely do not want to have your races too close together. I've made that mistake once and had to pay the price due to fatigue.

Some of my older videos might be a bit more representative of the lap times you're shooting for but you would be better off looking at the newer videos.

I'll be sure to keep a lookout for you in the pits come January! My 675R is all black by the way.

1:58.9 best lap! Super stoked about that. I had a handful of 1:59s too, so that best lap wasn't a fluke or a timing error. Big breakthrough for me on the track, I'm actually a competitive amateur now, so I'm really motivated for this race season. I won't be making it back out to Chuck though before the Arroyo season starts in March, so next time I might go out to Chuck would be next fall/winter. But it's a sweet track man, very fast and very technical, I really enjoyed myself.

I met an older guy wandering around the pits the whole weekend with a top hat on, he was with the Low Budget Racing crew, I believe he said he knew you but you weren't there this weekend.

2010 Daytona 675
2005 Ducati 999
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-16, 14:19
Marcismo55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
1:58.9 best lap! Super stoked about that. I had a handful of 1:59s too, so that best lap wasn't a fluke or a timing error. Big breakthrough for me on the track, I'm actually a competitive amateur now, so I'm really motivated for this race season. I won't be making it back out to Chuck though before the Arroyo season starts in March, so next time I might go out to Chuck would be next fall/winter. But it's a sweet track man, very fast and very technical, I really enjoyed myself.

I met an older guy wandering around the pits the whole weekend with a top hat on, he was with the Low Budget Racing crew, I believe he said he knew you but you weren't there this weekend.
Good work man and congrats on the PR! The time will keep dropping off as you get more familiar with the track but that's a bummer you can't make it out soon.

Haha You must be talking about Vern. He's one of the volunteers that helps with the operation of the trackday/racing. Great dude and his son brings his homebrew to the track that is pretty solid!

TrackXperience Trackdays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement