Oil in race bike - Triumph675.Net Forums
General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

post #1 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 12:10 Thread Starter
HoneyBadger

Garage
Oil in race bike

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but the search function isn't working for me today.

Basically wondering what oil(s) people have had the best luck with, specifically in a race bike (675). I was/am running the Maxima 530RR, bike has run great on it, but it seems to get a little too thin on extremely hot days (upper 90's+) when I'm at a race pace. Zero issues at a slower pace or on cooler days.

Seriously considering a switch due to the above, cost is fairly irrelevant as long as I can purchase it through my sponsor who lets me order at their cost.

Planning to do another oil change after this next race weekend, so wanted a little time to see what other people are running successfully in the Daytona (mine is an '07).

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 13:41
Marcismo55

Garage
I've been using Amsoil 20w-50 as it was recommended by them. Gives me the peace of mind my oil isn't going to be too thin when on the track since most in CA are located in the desert.

I'll be sending out my oil for analysis the next oil change to see if I have been making the right choice.

Current:'16 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Previous:'12 Daytona 675R-SOLD
TrackXperience Trackdays
post #3 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 13:48 Thread Starter
HoneyBadger
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcismo55 View Post
I've been using Amsoil 20w-50 as it was recommended by them. Gives me the peace of mind my oil isn't going to be too thin when on the track since most in CA are located in the desert.

I'll be sending out my oil for analysis the next oil change to see if I have been making the right choice.
Would love to hear the results of that analysis!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #4 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 14:23
Marcismo55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Would love to hear the results of that analysis!
You got it! It might be some time though as I just changed it and forgot to keep a sample DOH.

Current:'16 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Previous:'12 Daytona 675R-SOLD
TrackXperience Trackdays
post #5 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 14:34
Hokie

What's the symptoms you are seeing when it gets too hot/thin?
post #6 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 14:39 Thread Starter
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
What's the symptoms you are seeing when it gets too hot/thin?
As I pull into the pit with the bike at an idle (just when I'm backing the bike into the shade) the oil light flickers. Levels are all topped off. Never see it any other time, been keeping an eye out on while on track, no issues, nothing when the temps are cooler and/or I'm coaching the slower groups - only ever had it happen with high ambient temps AND when I've been at my fast/race pace, only at an idle.

AFM #302

post #7 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 15:48
jdgun_13

I personally use motorex, expensive but the bike runs smoother in my experience. Any oil that is GREEN is better than one that is not..

http://www.motorex.com/index.cfm?oid...&eintragId=153

which dipstick do you have in your bike (2007)?
You should have the one in it from the 09-12 model bike, that might explain the light coming on when backing it up as it is actually low on oil.

Most of you people are not capable of being your GD self, to damn worried about being politically correct.
2015-MV Agusta F3 800
2011- Triumph Daytona 675R
post #8 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 16:18 Thread Starter
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun_13 View Post
I personally use motorex, expensive but the bike runs smoother in my experience. Any oil that is GREEN is better than one that is not..

http://www.motorex.com/index.cfm?oid...&eintragId=153

which dipstick do you have in your bike (2007)?
You should have the one in it from the 09-12 model bike, that might explain the light coming on when backing it up as it is actually low on oil.
While I still have the old dipstick I topped the oil off to the "new" level after a side by side comparison - the flicker happened less frequently, but still happened.

I like the green oil LOL

AFM #302

post #9 of 21 Old 08-19-15, 16:49
jdgun_13

Quote:
While I still have the old dipstick I topped the oil off to the "new" level after a side by side comparison - the flicker happened less frequently, but still happened.

I like the green oil LOL
if you want the new dipstick let me know... will send you one.

I used the motorex the whole time in Italy, based on the obscene AVG MPH my zx-10r & 1098 ducati would see on a regular basis. after coming back to the US and availability on it, went back to mobil 1 and there was a distince difference in shifting and smoothness in the motor.

Most of you people are not capable of being your GD self, to damn worried about being politically correct.
2015-MV Agusta F3 800
2011- Triumph Daytona 675R
post #10 of 21 Old 08-22-15, 16:03
samwise_i

Quote:
the Daytona (mine is an '07).
Hopefully this is not the case, but your motor could just be worn out since early motors(Gen1) are not as reliable as the later motors under racing conditions.

Hopefully there is an oil fix for you, but you might also want to investigate the condition of your motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement