Tuning options after EXUP delete - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 04-14-20, 08:45 Thread Starter
benp

Garage
Tuning options after EXUP delete

Hey all. I have a 2011 Daytona 675R on which one of the EXUP (exhaust valve) cables failed, throwing a check engine light. Based on some posts here and elsewhere, I've elected to just remove all of the external EXUP hardware in lieu of replacing it. Now, of course, I've still got the CEL and a non-functioning EXUP. So while I have no desire to restart the argument as to the exact function of the EXUP, it seems that there is at least some basis for applying a different tune after disabling the EXUP.

While I wouldn't mind any extra performance that a custom tune would provide, I am still the slowest thing on the bike by quite a bit. So, I would be very happy to just to turn off the CEL and apply a base/stockish tune that accounted for the deleted EXUP. Note that I haven't started, let alone ridden the bike since I actually removed the EXUP. I did, however, run the last track day of the 2019 season with the CEL and apparently non-functioning EXUP and didn't notice any gross issues.

So, what does everyone recommend as my next step? I have zero tuning experience outside of ham fistedly changing some carburetor jets and shimming a needle or two. I'm considering the following options (as well as others y'all might suggest):
1. TuneECU to eliminate the EXUP/CEL and maybe apply a "close enough" tune for the missing EXUP. I currently have neither a Windows laptop or an Android phone (and don't have burning desire to purchase either one if I can avoid it).
2. Take it to a tuner and have them actually do a proper tune. Would this be a waste on my largely stock bike? Also, I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area if that helps, because I definitely don't have a shop in mind.

Also, a couple of things about the bike:
-Stock tune (as far as I know)
-Roughly 11k miles on the odometer
-Has been track only for a few years (and will likely remain that way)
-Intake and exhaust are stock/OEM with the exception of a Competition Werkes slip on

Thanks in advance!

2011 Triumph Daytona 675R
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-14-20, 16:17
Renboy

Garage
Disabling it with tuneecu would be the path of least financial resistance, that's for sure. Also, it's a very intuitive program to use, not difficult at all. Maybe someone here is in your area that can help you out.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-17-20, 13:39
Travis Pinto

Hey Man... I was able to get past this with my bike. It's a mostly stock 2012 used for Track Days. I used TunECU and Com Cable to simply Disable both the Exhaust Valve and Intake Flap. I'm still using the Stock Tune, just disabled the stuff I didn't need. It works fine and won't cost you much.

The Cable I Used:
https://www.amazon.com/capital_auto-...7144992&sr=8-1

Download TuneECU Software and Driver for the Cable
https://tuneecu.net/TuneECU_En/links.html

post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-20, 16:50 Thread Starter
benp
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Disabling it with tuneecu would be the path of least financial resistance, that's for sure. Also, it's a very intuitive program to use, not difficult at all. Maybe someone here is in your area that can help you out.
Thanks! I think looking for a local with the hardware is my next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Pinto View Post
Hey Man... I was able to get past this with my bike. It's a mostly stock 2012 used for Track Days. I used TunECU and Com Cable to simply Disable both the Exhaust Valve and Intake Flap. I'm still using the Stock Tune, just disabled the stuff I didn't need. It works fine and won't cost you much.

The Cable I Used:
https://www.amazon.com/capital_auto-...7144992&sr=8-1

Download TuneECU Software and Driver for the Cable
https://tuneecu.net/TuneECU_En/links.html
Thank you. I think I will go the TuneECU route, though I've been trying to avoid buying a laptop or Android phone to achieve it. Perhaps I can get my bike physically close enough to my Windows desktop, ha??

2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850
post #5 of 6 Old 06-24-20, 11:32
MissedApex

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Thanks! I think looking for a local with the hardware is my next step.

Thank you. I think I will go the TuneECU route, though I've been trying to avoid buying a laptop or Android phone to achieve it. Perhaps I can get my bike physically close enough to my Windows desktop, ha??

I have definitely rolled my bike through the yard and in front of my window so I could run a USB extender to it from my desktop!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-20, 12:52 Thread Starter
benp
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissedApex View Post
I have definitely rolled my bike through the yard and in front of my window so I could run a USB extender to it from my desktop!
Funny you mention that...that's exactly what I did! Side note, TuneECU didn't seem to mind the USB extender in the mix (which was a concern of mine after hearing about people have troubles with off brand cables).

2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement