Engine Mgmt Warning Light - Triumph675.Net Forums
United Kingdom UK Forum, rides, get togethers and events

post #1 of 48 Old 03-03-08, 08:22 Thread Starter
rich2w

Engine Mgmt Warning Light

Bums,

Took my bike into town on Saturday (card and choccies plus stuff for me) and the warning light is on.

That said the manual says it should be in limp home mode and it felt fine - revved all the way and went briskly enough (I was in normal pants (not leathers) so wasn't pushing the big speeds).

Now the Triumph garage in Leeds is shut (wel I presume it is) the nearest dealer is miles away in York! The Leeds engineers managed to balls up the last work so not too displeased they won't be touching it again.

Triumph ownership has been (unfortunately) very much as expected - lovely bike but hopeless reliability.

I'm gonna just see if it sorts itself out next ride.

Rich
post #2 of 48 Old 03-03-08, 08:35
punkindave
Race Team Sponsor

Just had the same thing happen to me nd it was fixed in 5mins Saturday at the dealer..
Most likely the exhaust valve servo.. Dam weather and winter riding will bind the cables.. (Not a great design) They ain't Hondas but these bikes are pretty damn reliable.. It'll get sorted quickly, if it's running fine, just ride it.. Once the code is set once the light won't go out (or so I'm told)..

'07 CBR1000RR - NESBA #74
'06 RED Daytona 675 - SOLD
EX MSF RiderCoach
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #3 of 48 Old 03-03-08, 10:40
sharkface

try this

I had the light come on once as well. Dealership said one of the reasons it comes on is as a low battery indicator. Sure enough, I took the battery out, charged it a while, put it back in the bike and light went away. Make sure to unhook the battery cables completely when juicing the battery in order to reset the computer. Good luck.
post #4 of 48 Old 03-03-08, 11:37
Edski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkface View Post
I had the light come on once as well. Dealership said one of the reasons it comes on is as a low battery indicator. Sure enough, I took the battery out, charged it a while, put it back in the bike and light went away. Make sure to unhook the battery cables completely when juicing the battery in order to reset the computer. Good luck.
Same thing used to happen with my D650. The battery was forever being drained by the alarm, and then the EML would come on, way to fix it as above.

Graphite D675 Masterbike Edition no 87, TOR exhaust, gel seat, aero screen, T3 sliders, Scottoiler with dual injectors

Proud to be British
post #5 of 48 Old 03-03-08, 13:07
chimkychink
PBOTM Winner

i've had it happen to me a couple of times.
you may not even have to charge the battery. try fully disconnecting it for 30 sec, the bke will reset itself.
post #6 of 48 Old 03-04-08, 08:29
Stu

Rich

Same here. My light came on about 4 weeks ago and I took it into Eddy's as I know them all very well. Steve the mechanic put the diag tool on and found it was the exhaust valve sticking. I managed to get over to A1 in York yesterday to get it fixed. It needed new cables and a new acutator.

To tell if it is the exhaust valve just take the cover off to see if it moves. If you don't know where it is then it's on the off side behind the foot peg. Black box with two cables coming out of the bottom. This is the acutator and it should turn on start up and when over 4k rpm. The actual valve is in the exhaust and you need to take the fairing off to get at it.

Where are you as there is another Triumph dealer in Doncaster if that is nearer.

One life, live it.
Three is greater than four.
post #7 of 48 Old 03-04-08, 08:48
Digger675

Just this weekend I had the engine malfunction light come on -- all down to a flat battery (so flat that it wouldn't charge up again, after jumpstarting. Weird as it had worked fine on the Friday commute).
post #8 of 48 Old 03-04-08, 13:36
punkindave
Race Team Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
To tell if it is the exhaust valve just take the cover off to see if it moves.
Mine made a labored motor noise that repeated three times when the key was turned on.. Zzzzzzzz.....Zzzzzzz.....Zzzzzzz
Thought it was the fuel pump at first, but it was the motor trying to move the valve...
So there are TWO common causes of the Check Light, Exhaust and flat battery! Good to know!

'07 CBR1000RR - NESBA #74
'06 RED Daytona 675 - SOLD
EX MSF RiderCoach
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #9 of 48 Old 03-04-08, 14:08
norville2

My light came on Saturday, took it too the dealers today and found it to be the exhaust valve...when you turn on the ignition you can hear it making a different noise to what i am use to. The dealer was muttering something about it might not be under warranty, until i replied you must be joking mate it is only 6 months old.

They do try.......
post #10 of 48 Old 03-04-08, 14:34
hmuchmo1

Send a message via AIM to hmuchmo1 Send a message via Yahoo to hmuchmo1
I had mine come on for an ambient air temperature reading that was out of range.

Never came back. And limp home is only for serious problems, so if it didnt limp home then its been my experience that its just a nuisance light.

still needs to be fixed if possible though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement