Frame slider Recommendation - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 10-19-18, 00:16 Thread Starter
Tripster

Frame slider Recommendation

Does anyone have experience with frame sliders? Perhaps had the chance to test one out? Which one do you recommend? Any pictures?

2009 WR250R
2009 Daytona 675
2009 SV650s - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-19-18, 08:22
hzhong456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
Does anyone have experience with frame sliders? Perhaps had the chance to test one out? Which one do you recommend? Any pictures?
If this is for a track bike, I highly recommend Woodcraft frame sliders . I think for the older Daytona's you will have to cut a hole in the plastics. For 2013+ Daytonas, the sliders go under the bodywork. Your bodywork will be rashed/destroyed but your frame will be untouched. I lowsided at the track, and my 2013+ bike slid about 50-60 feet with no damage to the frame.

I've used and seen other brands of sliders after a crash and they all get mangled at the base of the slider; which then usually messes up the part of the frame where the sliders get screwed into.
The Following User Says Thank You to hzhong456 For This Useful Post:
Tripster (10-20-18)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-19-18, 20:07
Plasmablaster

Garage
I'll second that ^.

This is my experience with frame sliders. Highsided at the track and that's what happened: cracked everything attached to the mounting point of the slider: the engine head and the frame bracket screwed on it. They were of the single mounting bolt type.

Dual-mount should be much better, there are many stories of people whose (such) sliders worked as they should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken frame.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	247821  

post #4 of 10 Old 10-20-18, 01:40 Thread Starter
Tripster
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
I'll second that ^.

This is my experience with frame sliders. Highsided at the track and that's what happened: cracked everything attached to the mounting point of the slider: the engine head and the frame bracket screwed on it. They were of the single mounting bolt type.

Dual-mount should be much better, there are many stories of people whose (such) sliders worked as they should.
Well high-slide is pretty bad, glad you were okay. What slider were you using? hzhong456 recommended the woodcraft which is a single mount slider. I've heard good reviews but hesitating to drill holes. I used to have no cut sliders for my sv650s which looks good but never tested it. BTW this is for street use. Most likely looking for a low slide under 40mph protection.

2009 WR250R
2009 Daytona 675
2009 SV650s - Sold
post #5 of 10 Old 10-20-18, 05:58
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
What slider were you using? hzhong456 recommended the woodcraft which is a single mount slider. I've heard good reviews but hesitating to drill holes.
I don't know what brand they were, previous owner had installed them.

Actually, IMHO the sliders that go under the plastics would be a better idea as the plastic of the fairing would not allow the slider to grip strongly in the asphalt at the moment of impact and do serious damage. It's the impact moment that does the damage as the grip that the slider has at that very moment doesn't allow it to slide.

About the Woodcrafts I don't know. I wouldn't put single-mount sliders on my bike, but maybe they have some pre-engineered flexibility in their mounting system that disallows extensive frame damage... but then again maybe not.

I think LSL produces a dual-mount slider that doesn't need frame drilling. Take a look (shop around if you like them - I don't endorse this particular shop, it just happened to be the first search result with a picture):

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/l...me-slider-kit/

Last edited by Plasmablaster; 10-20-18 at 06:31.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-20-18, 12:52
crispietofu

I use these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...street-tripler

It's mounted on two points. They are super low profile to minimize flipping. They sit behind my race fairings so don't expect them to save your fairings if you go down
post #7 of 10 Old 10-20-18, 22:41
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

I have the Triumph OEM
post #8 of 10 Old 10-22-18, 00:10 Thread Starter
Tripster
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I've decided to go with the woodcraft sliders

2009 WR250R
2009 Daytona 675
2009 SV650s - Sold
post #9 of 10 Old 11-06-18, 21:22
JonyB

Hey mate,

I've got sliders on my ZX9R and also on the Street Triple. Luckily I've only ever tested them on the 9...

So, on the 9 I've got R&G sliders. They're an English company, and they're quite big. They do a lot of things related with crash protection and other accessories. I find them bit on the expensive side, but after having my little off (lowside crash) I have to say that the product is good quality. Essentially I dropped the bike on a tight hairpin, and the bike ended up sliding all the way to the other side of the road finally stopping on the gutter. Didn't hit anything or anyone, and I managed to get up, pick the bike up and ride home (luckiest day of my life). Only damage was a slight scratch to the lower fairing and a cracked stator cover. After that, I replaced not only the slider (the nylon bit) but also the actual bolt that connects to the bike.

On the Street Triple, I've got a set that I got from another English guy I found on e-Bay (JayBee biker bits). Stuff seems to be good quality, but can't really say how it will work if I fall (Hope I never find out)Ö

In saying that, there's a couple of things that I'd recommend; there's a world of crap available on the net for sliders and they all have the same description (well kind of). The differences will be the material the actual slider is made of, and (more importantly) the connection point of the slider... In some cases, I've seen sliders connected onto the fairing connection point, rather than the engine mounting bolt... On my 9 for instance, the sliders are connected to the engine mounting bolt, and let me tell you, a pain to put on, BUT after having tested them, I have to say that this is the way to connect them. As for the slider, stay away from nice bling sliders made of carbon or things like that. The slider is meant to be made of a soft material, and it is meant to wear down in case of an accident.

Hope it helps.

Life's so much better on a bike!

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL
The Following User Says Thank You to JonyB For This Useful Post:
Hamburg (11-21-18)
post #10 of 10 Old 12-23-18, 22:48
T-Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I have the Triumph OEM
Ditto here. The only minor issue I have is that the seem where the split pieces meet on one side doesn't lay flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement