Who had a 600cc + first bike? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #1 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 04:07 Thread Starter
Dridamar

Who had a 600cc + first bike?

Just thought it might be interesting to hear real tales from the people who got a 600cc bike for their first bike and how they went on it. How many of us can be honest? :)

I bought the 675 after riding race dirt bikes(I know, completely different) as a kid, and a kwacka ZZR-250 on the road for just over a year. In hindsight even though I love the 675 and Im normally a responsible rider, another year or so on the 250 wouldnt have been a bad thing, and the 675 still spooks me at times.

And since we're all being honest, can we all now admit that Scorched yellow is the best colour and everyone else is envious? :D

Note : I reserve the right to delete the last comment when/if black is released as a choice
The Following User Says Thank You to Dridamar For This Useful Post:
ododicssork (08-18-14)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 04:14
ShnikeJSB
Resident Heckler & Deserter

Send a message via AIM to ShnikeJSB Send a message via Yahoo to ShnikeJSB
My first bike was a '00 Yamaha YZF-600R. That thing was a TANK. I wasn't a big fan of it, but I found it for a good price - $3,700 with 8,000 miles on it in March 2003, and it went over 200 miles to the tank... Definitely wish I would have started on a Ninja 250, though. I don't miss it at all. But, my second bike was actually slower, but I thoroughly enjoy(ed) it -- and that is/was my '03 Suzuki SV650S. Fun as all getout! It would have been a better 1st bike than the YZF, what with its friendlier powerband and nimbler handling. Bought that one for a great deal also, in April 2004 for $3,800 and 4,200 miles.

The 675 is a head-and-shoulders improvement over the YZF in EVERY which way, and technically better than the SV, though the overall fun-factor is suprisingly close to the SV. Though my 675 gets the nod in amount I love it, LOL!
post #3 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 04:27
triple grrr
"Officer Doofy reporting!"

Tank?, try starting on a 92 ZX-6D. That thing was awful. I did crash it, rider error. Fixed it, rode it another year, moved up to a 95 ZX-6R. much faster and way better suspension/handling. Had that over a year with no incident before stepping to the 675. Haven't looked back since!!

I did ride dirt for 2 years before a two year drought with no bike. Been riding for 5 years solid now.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to make that man cry!

Favorite 675.net quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by hmucho1
"You specifically are why I started to create rules on this forum!"

post #4 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 10:04
Scott

I started offroad at 12 with a honda monkeybike and honda xl125 dirtbike.varios little bikes through the years and now
the 675 is my first road bike(27 now)and its great. 1905km so far,no spills or big scares yet. love to buy more carbon parts and tidy it up a bit but Finland is one expensive place to live! ( im Scottish)
post #5 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 10:41
BioHazard

Garage
I also started on a YZF-600R (1997). I loved that bike. It was great for commuting and was great in the canyons as well. I have no regrets.
post #6 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 10:42
fargin_bastiges

FZR400.

Just because other people started on 600s doesn't make it a good idea.

Graphite is the best color:)
post #7 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 10:58
Sarchi
T675.net Founding Father...

Send a message via MSN to Sarchi Send a message via Skype™ to Sarchi
I started a few yrs ago on an '86 Ninja 1000R. :shock:

I enjoyed that bike, but never got really confident on it. I learned more in a month on the 600 than I did in a year of riding the ZX. It just had too much torque....and weight. Not to mention crap tires, brakes, and suspension. Stonkin' motor on that bike tho. :P

post #8 of 961 Old 08-23-06, 14:19
triple grrr
"Officer Doofy reporting!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargin_bastiges
FZR400.

Just because other people started on 600s doesn't make it a good idea.

Graphite is the best color:)
I forgot to say, I did wish i had started with something newer, with better suspension. I also should have known to start smaller, like a 2000's or newer 500 or even 250. I think I would have had much more fun. I now see why it is better to start small, as my crash is evidence. That is why I tell the newbs to start small instead of buying the 675 as a first bike.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to make that man cry!

Favorite 675.net quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by hmucho1
"You specifically are why I started to create rules on this forum!"
post #9 of 961 Old 08-24-06, 04:03
Devilfish

Send a message via AIM to Devilfish Send a message via Skype™ to Devilfish
My actual first bike was a 400cc, an 82 Yamaha Seca 400 I got for $700! What a piece of crap, but I loved it. I rode it for a month and a half then got my true first bike - the Suzuki SV650S and that was an awesome bike. After 2 years on it, I finally got bored of it and moved up to the awesome D675!

R.I.P.
Daytona 675
June 3, 2006 - June 27, 2010
post #10 of 961 Old 08-24-06, 06:47
endicott

Send a message via AIM to endicott
my first bike was a 2002 gsxr 600. really great bike.. until i wedged it underneath a parked car on sunset blvd. its funny how huge it seems now compared to my 675.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement