3,700 miles across the US on my 2014 Daytona 675R - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Trip reports Been on tour? Tell everyone about it here. Old threads may later be moved to the regional forums.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-10-20, 00:05 Thread Starter
Campbell
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlayer43 View Post
That was a great write up of an amazing trip. It's almost sad that you didn't get the ride back, but I can not say that I blame you. Your story reminds me of when I tried to make it from Sturgis to Tacoma in two days. (That was about 1485 on an 06 Daytona...) Unlike yourself i didn't plan it at all, and after one day of high country highway miles, I couldn't take it and had to find something with some turns in there. If you make it back out to Colorado there's many roads that you missed taking the 80 over to SLC that you would love to ride on now that the weather has melted 'most' of the snow and we're still locked down.
Thanks! Yeah I was heavily considering doing the ride back, but I was feeling somewhat burnt out on long days in the saddle and wanted to be home after a couple months away. And wow 1485 miles is no joke! I don't think I could do that in two days honestly. My 600 mile day was more than enough.

For sure! Colorado was beautiful, and I'd love to make a trip out there again sometime in the warmer months to check out some of the mountain roads. I bet it would be tons of fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-10-20, 05:13
TheRedSlayer43
Race Team Sponsor

towards the end, it was just getting off the bike and being done with the ride. I meet up with someone at the end of the second day, trying to tempt me into popping a wheelie. To which I just shook my head, tail bag on the bike, WAY TO MANY MILES gone past, and I was not about to put fate into the hands of some place I didn't know as beat as I was. That might be part of the reason that I bought a cruiser, so when it comes to putting miles down, I can do it in style now...

not and exact map of the route that I took, but most of the stops I slightly remember being at... I did run outta gas at one point, which could have been real shitty, but it was just a quick push to the pump that I costed up to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	253031  

2019 Road King ~ "Lucille"
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 ~ "Natalie"
2013 Kawasaki ~ "KeeWee" wife's ride
2016 Yamaha R6 ~ Gone
2003 Honda CBR F4i ~ Gone
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ~ Gone
Life is short, live it while you still can

Last edited by TheRedSlayer43; 07-10-20 at 05:19.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-10-20, 18:32 Thread Starter
Campbell
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlayer43 View Post
towards the end, it was just getting off the bike and being done with the ride. I meet up with someone at the end of the second day, trying to tempt me into popping a wheelie. To which I just shook my head, tail bag on the bike, WAY TO MANY MILES gone past, and I was not about to put fate into the hands of some place I didn't know as beat as I was. That might be part of the reason that I bought a cruiser, so when it comes to putting miles down, I can do it in style now...

not and exact map of the route that I took, but most of the stops I slightly remember being at... I did run outta gas at one point, which could have been real shitty, but it was just a quick push to the pump that I costed up to.
Yeah I bet. I completely agree with your decision too, there's no way in hell I'd be trying wheelies after so many miles haha. I can definitely see myself getting a cruiser down the line so I can enjoy those long trips in greater comfort!

That's a nice route by the way! I'd imagine seeing your gas gauge going all the way down to empty was pretty nerve-wracking. Lucky that you were so close to the pump! I made sure to look out for gas stations once I got down to a quarter tank, so I would never be in a position of cutting it too close, although in the end there was never a stretch of road that had wildly long distances between gas stations.

I didn't even think to post my route, so here it is for the most part. I made a few detours that I couldn't fit in one map, but this was the main course I took:

Once I got home I actually ordered a map of the US that shows the major roadways so that I could trace out my route with sharpie and plot my major destinations with pins. I plan to add future trips as well so I can have a physical representation of where I've gone on the Daytona!

post #14 of 15 Old 07-10-20, 21:58
TheRedSlayer43
Race Team Sponsor

that looks like it was a blast, it was in MT when there was nothing out there, one of those fluke things where the last gas station I filled up at I believe and didn't really notice until it was the 'oh F**K' pull in the clutch to hear the bike just die out... it could have been real bad.

2019 Road King ~ "Lucille"
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 ~ "Natalie"
2013 Kawasaki ~ "KeeWee" wife's ride
2016 Yamaha R6 ~ Gone
2003 Honda CBR F4i ~ Gone
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ~ Gone
Life is short, live it while you still can
post #15 of 15 Old 07-14-20, 21:14
whimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs675 View Post
Cool trip, the Daytona is a wonderful bike but I don't think I could make the mileage. Oh to be young again.

Quick question -- so you put in earplugs and were able to listen to music. How did that work? I find that I need earplugs but haven't found a way to get music/etc working.

thanks and congrats on an awesome trip.
I use Etymotic noise isolating earphones. They cut the noise as well as filter-type ear plugs and also sound really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement