An interesting thing - Triumph675.Net Forums
General Racing Discussions Discussion area for any non 675 related racing (Moto GP, World Superbike, etc) & general race set up / questions.

post #1 of 7 Old 05-31-19, 02:56 Thread Starter
jamesbowers

An interesting thing

Occurred to me and wonder if anyone else has thought about it....
Consider this, if championships were decided on how a rider progressed from grid position to finishing position I'd say Valentino Rossi would've wiped the floor with Marquez...

Honda also bent the rules as far as I can see to suit themselves with Marquez as they'd already signed him up before they tabled the rule that rookies had to progress through satellite teams first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-20, 06:35
xxaarraa

Man top flight racing has a lot of politics and gamesmanship, it's just the nature of the beast.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-20, 12:59
cdenley

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbowers View Post
Consider this, if championships were decided on how a rider progressed from grid position to finishing position I'd say Valentino Rossi would've wiped the floor with Marquez...
I like Rossi, but he doesn't get bonus points for qualifying worse than Marquez. Marquez earned better grid positions.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Expert #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-20, 15:31
Arawn

Consistency pays off. Qualify good, keep a good pace during the race, it all adds up.

There are several ways they could score it, but I like the current system where a rider doesn't only have to put down a good lap.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-20, 17:37
IronCactus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbowers View Post
Consider this, if championships were decided on how a rider progressed from grid position to finishing position I'd say Valentino Rossi would've wiped the floor with Marquez....
does Marquez get minus points for starting the race(s) in P1 and ending them in P1?

3 generations of 675s
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-20, 08:34
Victor Ward

1. Rossi's glory days are in the rear view mirror, his fan boys need to get over it.
2. Marquez is king.
3. If you have a problem with Marquez dethroning your deity put your eyes on Quatararo

"The better you look, the more you see."
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-20, 09:51
GMike278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Ward View Post
1. Rossi's glory days are in the rear view mirror, his fan boys need to get over it.
2. Marquez is king.
3. If you have a problem with Marquez dethroning your deity put your eyes on Quatararo
100% this. Let's also remember the advantages Rossi has been given for years before MotoGP was standardized. Some examples: Going out in practice on Friday and having special "overnight special" tires cooked up for him and helicoptered back to the track for Sunday. Having a different electronics package etc etc... Marquez and Quatararo have never ridden with a custom tire that wasn't available to anyone else on the gird. (and Quatararo is on Rossi's prior year's bike that "was full of problems")

We're witnessing the purest form of MotoGP to date where everything is standardized. Spec tires, aero packages, electronics etc... is it perfect? No. But it's improved dramatically and Marquez is wiping the floor with them on an even playing field. How many wins and podiums does he have in an era when the odds are stacked against a single rider puling that off?

On a personal note, it kills me to watch MotoGP and see fans (most of which have never thrown a leg over a bike let alone do a single track day) boo a rider and even cheer when they crash. I'm not a fan of everyone out there but I DO know (like everyone here on the forum) what the risks are and every single rider that has the balls to get on a track has my respect.

When the lights go out in Valencia this year we'll know who the best rider out there is. (or probably four races before that when he sweeps the season again) MM93 - 2020!

Last edited by GMike278; 02-06-20 at 09:59.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement