GPS Speed Camera Warnings... in Greece? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Continental Europe, Middle East and Africa CEMEA Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events.

post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-12, 19:18 Thread Starter
CrazyCam

GPS Speed Camera Warnings... in Greece?

Hi folks.

I have seen, in another forum, that various European countries have laws against GPS units having speed camera warnings.

Can anyone tell me what the law might be about this in Greece?

Are there many speed cameras in Greece anyway?

regards,CrazyCam, who's getting ready for a trip to Greece in June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-24-12, 10:00
Hostyle

It depends on how the system works. Radar-detectors are generally frowned upon, if they're just POI's on your map then it's only France that you can have problems with.

I don't think Greece has many speedcamera's. In general the further northwest you go, the more cameras you will encounter. Holland and the UK are littered with the things
post #3 of 6 Old 04-24-12, 19:21 Thread Starter
CrazyCam
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Thanks Hostyle.

Yeah, last time I was in Scotland, a few years back, the place seemed to be infested with the things.

Last time I was on the road in Holland, speed cameras hadn't even been invented!

regards,CrazyCam

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-12, 07:22
Hostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCam View Post
Last time I was on the road in Holland, speed cameras hadn't even been invented!
Then you'll be in for a treat when you get back here... On one road in my town, probably 2-3kms in length, there are 6 speed camera's. Two at every crossing. But those are easily spotted, it's the mobile ones you have to be carefull of.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-27-12, 03:05 Thread Starter
CrazyCam
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Oh, wonderful, Hostyle! Thanks for the warning.

When you talk about speed cameras at junctions, are they like what we have here in New South Wales, a red light camera combined with a speed camera?

I have to be honest, I don't have a problem with them.

The speed cameras, installed on a big highway, at the bottom of a steep down-hill section, in the middle of nowhere, they annoy me.

(You guys in Holland don't have a "middle of nowhere", have you?)

But the speed cameras, combined with red-light cameras, seem perfectly fair to me.

Over here, when the light changes from Green to Yellow, the official version is to stop, unless unsafe to do so, but, the unofficial, but common, reaction in Sydney, is to change down a gear and nail the throttle!

That kind of speed camera, I can live with.

regards,CrazyCam
post #6 of 6 Old 04-27-12, 03:17
Hostyle

The ones at crossings are for speed and red lights, but we've also got:
> speed camera's on straight roads, without crossings and/or other hazards (our version of the middle of nowhere...)
> average speed camera systems (take a photo at the beginning, note time, take photo at end, take time and calculate average speed = bingo!)
> mobile speed camera's (cop in a van, camera besides the road and mostly hidden from view... all in the name of safety and the government's budget, actually, scratch that safety bit)
> undercover cop cars and motorcycles (bikes are BMWs, cars can be anything; VW Golfs (R32 without the visual clues), SEAT Leon, Volvo V50, all looking bland but packing powerfull engines)

Oh... and the fines have risen quite a bit, foreigners caught by patrols need to pay right away, camera fines are sent to the owners adress (even in other countries). So yes, welcome to our country and drive safe

BTW: middle-of-nowhere? lol, we're in the friggin' middle of everything. We're not a densely populated country, we're a mildly populated city...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement