2008 Triumph Daytona 675 Won't Start at All/Turn On - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 03:14 Thread Starter
gabego16

Garage
2008 Triumph Daytona 675 Won't Start at All/Turn On

Hello All,

This is my first post so I'll make it as detailed as possible. I recently bought a 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 from a friend and as of today it will not turn on. I'll provide a little backstory of the bike before I experienced my current issue it in case it might provide a solution to the issue at hand.

While the bike was still owned by my friend I was aware that he had not used the bike/turned on the bike for several months. It had just been sitting in his garage. He assured me that the bike was still in good working condition, however when we tried to start up the bike, the engine wouldn't turn over. The bike would make a few clicks and that's it. We narrowed down the issue to a bad battery, and replaced the old battery with a brand new one. Once the new battery was charged and installed the bike worked perfectly.

I was able to ride the bike up until the end of October just fine, then I had to leave for about a month for business. When I came back (roughly 20th of November) I started the bike up and went for about a half hour ride without any issues. I did about 2 or 3 more rides throughout that week and then didn't ride at all the next week. Come Sunday December 3rd (3 days ago) I go to turn on the bike and I get absolutely nothing, no dashboard lights and no engine sounds. It's as if I hadn't even turned the key in the ignition.

TL;DR

Bike will not turn on at all as of 3 days ago. No dash lights, no engine sounds.

Below are the troubleshooting steps I have run through:
  1. Recharged and replaced battery ( battery is about 2 months old, was purchased new)
  2. Replaced all fuses in fuse box under left cockpit panel

If anyone has any ideas on what the issue could be I would greatly appreciate hearing it. I have little to no experience with motorcycles but given enough information I can do research and troubleshoot. If you have any questions I will gladly clarify as best I can. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 12:12
benp

Garage
Ok, so first, I've gotta ask...is the kill switch in the "on" position?

Otherwise, my first suggestion would be to check your battery voltage with a multimeter. You should be seeing something in the realm of 12 or 13 V. I wouldn't expect your new battery to just die from sitting for that little time. My suspicion is that you have charging system issues. The stator and regulator/rectifier are known issues on this bike. While I'm not saying the charging system is your problem, the thread below might shed some light on your troubles:

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35227

EDIT:
As an aside, I'm fairly certain this should've been posted in a subforum other than Forum Announcements...

2011 Triumph Daytona 675R
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850

Last edited by benp; 12-06-17 at 12:31.
post #3 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 12:44 Thread Starter
gabego16
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post

Otherwise, my first suggestion would be to check your battery voltage with a multimeter. You should be seeing something in the realm of 12 or 13 V. I wouldn't expect your new battery to just die from sitting for that little time. My suspicion is that you have charging system issues. The stator and regulator/rectifier are known issues on this bike. While I'm not saying the charging system is your problem, the thread below might shed some light on your troubles:

EDIT:
As an aside, I'm fairly certain this should've been posted in a subforum other than Forum Announcements...

I appreciate the response. I'll be testing the batteries voltage today. As for the kill switch, I've set it to the "on" position, however now that you bring that up it made me wonder if the issue could be the kill switch not registering the "on" position. Is that common?

I'll look into the forum and the regulator/rectifier and hopefully that narrows down the issue.

The post was meant to go into maintenance and repairs section however this site kept denying me access to post. Is there any way to change the subforum?

post #4 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 15:52
jdgun_13

1. you shouldn't even have to ask yourself is the switch is in the on position... leave it on ALWAYS
2. The 08 rectifiers were not an issue like on the later model bikes, but things do happen.
3. The stator generally was not an issue on the 06-08 bikes either, but being 9 years old electrical things do go, this applies to #2.
4. How is the oil level on the bike? are you running the later model oil dipstick?
5. Is the battery dead, or does it not have enough power? these bikes do not like anything under 12.2 volts and this typically results in the ecu not functioning properly, or at all.
6. do you leave the bike on a trickle charger?

Most of you people are not capable of being your GD self, to damn worried about being politically correct.

2011- Triumph Daytona 675R
2005- Kawasaki ZX-10R
2003- Kawasaki ZX-6RR
post #5 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 16:34
benp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun_13 View Post
2. The 08 rectifiers were not an issue like on the later model bikes, but things do happen.
Really?

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65761

2011 Triumph Daytona 675R
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850
post #6 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 16:48
jdgun_13

Quote:

My 2006 never had any issues in 5 years of ownership, and I know of many others that never did either. My (2) 2011 and 2012 that is a different story.

Well what is report on your report on the battery, how volts are you seeing before start up?
have you tried starting it with a charger on the bike?
have you checked the fuses and starter relay?

Most of you people are not capable of being your GD self, to damn worried about being politically correct.

2011- Triumph Daytona 675R
2005- Kawasaki ZX-10R
2003- Kawasaki ZX-6RR
post #7 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 17:26
SmackHappy

Garage
You know, what a nice, well-written post from a new member looking for help.
Friendly, detailed and courteous

My biggest pet-peeve is a new member *on any forum* asking for help and just being super annoying about it....
Thats it, I actually have nothing to add that hasnt already been said...

But do be mindful that if you turn the key past lock, a parking light comes and will drain your battery
(doubtful that's the issue, who knows)

Chris from NYC
400 Bandit (sold)
2002 SV650s (sold)
2008 R6r (stolen)
2006 Daytona (current)
The Following User Says Thank You to SmackHappy For This Useful Post:
gabego16 (12-06-17)
post #8 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 19:33
Cab0oze

Quote:
1. you shouldn't even have to ask yourself is the switch is in the on position... leave it on ALWAYS
Why, may I ask?

First thing they taught everyone in MSF was to use the kill switch to shut off the bike, to make it a habit, and make it that much more instinctive. I also like doing it because I can kill the engine without taking my hands off the bars, allowing me to coast down my road to avoid pissing off all my neighbors late at night lol
post #9 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 21:54 Thread Starter
gabego16

Garage
Quote:

EDIT:
-Battery is testing at 13V.
-Kill switch is in the "on" position

Quote:
My 2006 never had any issues in 5 years of ownership, and I know of many others that never did either. My (2) 2011 and 2012 that is a different story.

Well what is report on your report on the battery, how volts are you seeing before start up?
have you tried starting it with a charger on the bike?
have you checked the fuses and starter relay?

Thanks for your response. The battery should be fine. After testing the battery it was sitting at 13.7 volts, which I believe is the correct voltage it needs.

I have not tried starting the bike with a charger on it. I'm not sure what that process entails but I'll do some research on that.
I have checked the fuses and replaced the old ones (not blown but corroded on the prongs) in the fuse box under the left cockpit panel and even to include the main fuse next to the battery under the seat.
I have not checked the starter relay at all. (Not sure where that is located or how to check it for functionality)

As for your previous questions.
1. How is the oil level on the bike? are you running the later model oil dipstick? I'm not sure what the oil level is at the moment, and I'm not sure on the model of the oil dipstick. I will be checking tomorrow after work.
2. Is the battery dead, or does it not have enough power? these bikes do not like anything under 12.2 volts and this typically results in the ecu not functioning properly, or at all. Battery is tested at 13.7 volts
3. do you leave the bike on a trickle charger? No I haven't been leaving the bike on a trickle charger, the bike was fine after a month of sitting and I was able to ride it fine after that month. The issue started after not riding the bike for a week.

As I mentioned before I have practically no experience with motorcycles this is my first bike and I'm left with no choice but to pick up the knowledge now to get it up and running. My tool set is limited but if a tool/part is really recommended I will go and get it.

Last edited by gabego16; 12-06-17 at 22:13.
post #10 of 39 Old 12-06-17, 21:57 Thread Starter
gabego16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackHappy View Post
You know, what a nice, well-written post from a new member looking for help.
Friendly, detailed and courteous

My biggest pet-peeve is a new member *on any forum* asking for help and just being super annoying about it....
Thats it, I actually have nothing to add that hasnt already been said...

But do be mindful that if you turn the key past lock, a parking light comes and will drain your battery
(doubtful that's the issue, who knows)
I really appreciate the response. I don't believe the key was turned past that point. I'm very careful of checking that before I get off the bike and leave it sitting so hopefully I didn't overlook that. As I mentioned the battery has been charged and is sitting good right now, just nothing turns on when turning the key.

Last edited by gabego16; 12-06-17 at 22:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement