3rd track day, critique my position! - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #11 of 16 Old 09-16-17, 14:10 Thread Starter
FieryGasoline
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Haha, well that's me told then. Even had me at "If youíre sitting there thinking, ďThis guy doesnít know what heís talking about, my bike stands up when I grab the brakes mid-corner", which may have crossed my mine whilst reading it...

I'll definitely keep this in mind and give it a try. It sounds to me for this to work you'd need to already be in position for the corner whist braking, as I reckon it would be difficult to stay on the brakes with the finesse needed whilst moving your position around. Otherwise it would be brake, off the brakes to shift position, then back on the brakes lightly to trail brake which sounds like a horrible idea as I can see that ending with me sliding alot the ground after I get back on the brakes too hard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-16-17, 14:44
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryGasoline View Post
Haha, well that's me told then. Even had me at "If you?re sitting there thinking, ?This guy doesn?t know what he?s talking about, my bike stands up when I grab the brakes mid-corner", which may have crossed my mine whilst reading it...

I'll definitely keep this in mind and give it a try. It sounds to me for this to work you'd need to already be in position for the corner whist braking, as I reckon it would be difficult to stay on the brakes with the finesse needed whilst moving your position around. Otherwise it would be brake, off the brakes to shift position, then back on the brakes lightly to trail brake which sounds like a horrible idea as I can see that ending with me sliding alot the ground after I get back on the brakes too hard!

The most important lesson is work on one thing at a time.

Sit on the bike, a chair or stool, bench, etc. Close your eyes and pretend you are going around the track. Visualize it.

What's the first thing that doesn't come naturally? The first thing you have to think about.

Have a pad with you and write that down.

Repeat and write down the next thing you think about. You will soon have a list.

Learn as much as you can about issue one. Read, ask questions, pretend to ride and visualize how you would do things differently.

When you next ride concentrate on things in that order and start knocking down your barriers. Concentrating on issue six when you are thinking about five other things..well you see where we are going...
Off the road/track.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-18-17, 03:07
mpusch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryGasoline View Post
Haha, well that's me told then. Even had me at "If you?re sitting there thinking, ?This guy doesn?t know what he?s talking about, my bike stands up when I grab the brakes mid-corner", which may have crossed my mine whilst reading it...

Yup (to the first scenario). It's all about being smooth. Butt should be in position in advance of braking. Body leans over more as lean angle added. Brakes trail off as lean angle increases.

Here's a good example.

https://youtu.be/MEzc_Knk6UY

post #14 of 16 Old 10-03-17, 23:43
Joshua Barnett

go faster! at the speed you are at I would recommend just focusing on your brake markers and such. then lean angle, trail braking, and body position will come into play.

Also buy your photos, if they are good enough to share, they are good enough to buy :)
post #15 of 16 Old 10-04-17, 09:14
BTrain5489

Ken Hill has a pretty good podcast on track riding. He's a pretty accomplished rider and instructor that works with track day guys all the way up to professionals. I'd suggest checking it out.

http://khcoaching.com/podcasts/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTrain5489 For This Useful Post:
chuckjl (01-21-18), Cloner (10-25-17)
post #16 of 16 Old 10-08-17, 09:10 Thread Starter
FieryGasoline
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
That's a cool video mpusch, very impressive how far they continue to brake into the corner. Managed to get 2 track mornings in the last few weeks and gave it a shot since it was nice and dry, not quite as smooth as demonstrated in the video but definitely can see the use for it!

The 2nd morning was yesterday and conditions were wet unfortunately which I don't have much confidence in to lean the bike, especially since 90% of the others in the session were on race wets. End up worrying about how much grip I've got and making mistakes, took a trip into the gravel after I missed the main line through a chicane, panicked, and went straight instead

One thing I have noticed which Josh mentioned and I don't know why I've not paid attention to sooner is brake markers. I downloaded an app (RaceChrono) that times your laps and also shows split times and it was easy to see that where I would start braking was different each time as I'm just going by 'feel'. So I reckon that's what I'll focus on next time, which will have to be next year as that was the last for the season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement