Will I get my balls back? - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-03-16, 21:49
ricracer16

Garage
Definitely track time with proper instruction is the way to go. Also like mentioned above bike tech is so different from 20 years ago. Hell, I went from an sv650 to my d675 and it feels like I was riding around in a scooter for the past 5 years. I recently rode a new R1 and I think I might have pushed the WARP SPEED button when I got into the front straight. Simply amazing, but like you said trust in tires and road surface and you'll slowly be wearing out tires and knee sliders.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

www.moto-elite.com Folding Bar-End Mirrors & T-shirts and NEW BAR-END SLIDERS

New Moto-Elite GP Tank Pads now available click below for direct link.

http://moto-elite.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 08-04-16, 17:01
wvstr

Like everyone is saying take some sort of advanced rider training either a track school or a street based school that focuses on surviving the unforeseen situation that happen when riding on a public road. The track will teach you many things about your bike and improve your level of confidence greatly, just remember once you get back to riding on the street, the pace as described by Nick Ienastch in his on sport riding is a good thing to practice, Keith Code's book the Twist of the Wrist II is also a good book to use, as well as his school, I took the 2 day camp last year level 1&2, I went in with the mindset to follow the ciriculum and advice from the on track coaches, they identified many areas where I could and have improved as a rider. Always maintain a high level of focus anytime you decide to ride, even a short ride down the road could present an unforeseen situation and by keeping your focus level up, it will decrease you panic level or as Code says survival reactions. Find an empty lot or road and practice braking and steering drills. If you use a slow analytical approach, you will regain your confidence and understanding of the dynamics of riding and become a better rider anytime you go for a ride.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-05-16, 20:23
HoneyBadger

Garage
Sure, age is going to play a difference. You realize you're not invincible anymore, and you realize things hurt long afterwards. You don't bounce like you once did. Traffic around the bay area here is a nightmare, and drivers are idiots. Road conditions can suck.

Find some good people to ride with who will ride at your pace (BARF is a place to start if you don't know anyone - or PM me, I'd be happy to meet someone for a ride after work every now n then).

Come on out to a track day - I work with PTT (Pacific Track Time) - there are others out there as well, but obviously I'm biased lol. We have a C group classroom all morning and dedicated coaches all as part of your day and can work with you on what you need. Help you overcome some of those fears.

I'm a firm believer, even more so now than I used to be, that technique is key, and the best thing for gaining confidence. After a bad crash a few years ago I was terrified of my bike, braking, and that particular corner (this was on track). Learning technique and I feel like I've overcome that - there's still a ping in the back of my mind at that particular corner, but it's no longer affecting my speed or ability through that corner (in fact, just recently had a big 'i'm over it!' moment the last time I was out there - felt great!).

So go learn the skills. Learn what your bike can do, train yourself to respond properly. The confidence will come with that.

And, a bit of reservation in this area isn't a bad thing

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

post #14 of 17 Old 08-06-16, 03:07
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Come on out to a track day - I work with PTT, but Z2 track days are better! - there are others out there as well, but obviously I'm biased because Z2 is the best just the best!. They have a fantastic C group classroom all day long and dedicated coaches that will work with you all day long focusing on the issues you feel are holding you back.
FIFY xoxo

675R dedicated track bike.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-06-16, 15:43
HoneyBadger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
FIFY xoxo
Don't listen to this guy, he knows not of what he speaks

Besides, our class covers different topics each track day - rather than the same stuff every time

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #16 of 17 Old 10-22-16, 15:52
losichu

The track day seems like a great idea, but I'd recommend the advanced rider course from the MSF. If nothing else, it will help you work on the the basics at a lower speed. I've gotten a knee down a few times in the course (as a student, not an instructor), so don't feel that it isn't possible, though getting a knee down is not the point. Learning control and getting comfortable with the motorcycle is the most important thing, after that the speed will come.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-23-16, 15:40 Thread Starter
yeti
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
I've found them!

It's taken a while but the're back! Just a bit of patience needed and a bit of coaching. I took some super bike coach.com courses at Stockton and that also helped. Full tyre wear up to the edge on rear resumed ;) I was beginning to think getting back on a supersports was a mistake but I'm fine now;) still older and wiser than I was when I was 20 something but it's not stopping me having a good time anymore or panick braking into corners which is obviously very bad...... went out for a ride with a fairly experienced friend a few weeks ago and he couldn't keep up ;) also said he couldn't judge the corners as he couldn't see my brake lights, my reply was that's because I wasn't braking..... must have been going too slow....lol. Seriously, obviously trying not to get too confident too quickly and work up to track day next spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement