Riding Position - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #1 of 13 Old 10-23-15, 13:08 Thread Starter
misfit27

Riding Position

The other day, I had to pick up food with no bag and found myself completely pressed up against the tank of my '13 D675R (explaining to wife that Indian food pickups on the bike are not my favorite activity doesn't work). I've always thought it pretty bad form to sit straight up on the tank, and I'm 6'1, certainly not the shortest guy the bike was designed for. I was really surprised how much the bike seemed to like being ridden from that far forward, and in NYC traffic, my wrists were very thankful.

I am not a new rider by any stretch, but have never tried riding that far forward. Just wondering if anyone else sits super far forward and if the Daytona's geometry favors that for some odd reason. I'm not looking to change my track habits, but making the Daytona a more comfortable commuter would't be an awful thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-23-15, 17:16
Ditch Doctor

Garage
I change my body position and poster ever few miles. And most of my rides are 200-500 miles in a day.
I am also 6'1" and for the track I was at least a fist distance from the tank if not full tuck all day.
For communiting, I ride it more like a sport tourer. ( think pic of someone on a gs. It vstrom) having long reach helps out. I keep my back mostly upright and head high. Never really get sore.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-21-16, 18:35
Juncura11

This isn't going to help, but since I was just thinking about this same thing I thought I'd chime in. I'm 5'8 and find myself reaching for the bars which makes longer rides pretty uncomfortable. I took the seat off to see if the lower sitting position helped at all and I was instantly in love with being more "Planted" in the bike instead of feeling like I'm hovering over it. Now I'm on a shorter seat and have even toyed with the idea of getting a set of raised bars. For aggressive riding the bike in stock form wants to plant me over the tank in a full tuck, but for around town, or riding through the hills, it doesn't have me in the best position.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-30-16, 01:49
BenjaminTisdale

I am also 5'8". I adjust myself according to the situation.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-21-16, 13:58
baronduff

Been thinking about this recently, have always preferred sitting close to the tank as I feel like I have better control, did it on my last bike as well, thing is, 675s suspension is much firmer than last bike, leading to fairly battered... urrmmm... man bits... during city riding. Have been playing with position, find close to tank good for city (besides rough road/speed bumps) but much more comfortable a few inches back on faster roads. Just can't get used to being further back for tight turns etc. I'm 6'.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-21-16, 14:54
Phicurious86

Garage
5'8" and I set right up against the tank and tend to lay on the tank a lot. Pretty comfy, so long as I sit up once every 10 miles or so to stretch the back.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-22-16, 20:51
MBZuki

I'm 6-1 and usually end up shifting my position around here and there. I remember reading lee park's total control and him suggesting staying an inch or two back from the tank for hard braking and whatnot so I'm usually trying to follow that.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-23-16, 23:01
s.imani

Garage
I sit right up to the tank. And comming from a sport tourer I try to resemble that position as much as possible. I'll be changing my handlebar to the omni bar 1 inch risers within the next few weeks to get a more upright position.

I only go further back when m bottom gets retired as there's more padding in the mid to back section compared to the front.

2015 Daytona 675 a.k.a. Sia - Toronto, Ontario
post #9 of 13 Old 06-15-16, 18:35
Plasmablaster

Garage
Regarding the dynamics of body positioning, footpeg position is surprisingly important. If you're looking for more comfortable ride around town try experimenting with adjustable rearsets if you haven't got them already (or if you have them but haven't experimented with forward-rearward positioning).

Regarding the saddle, personally I always tend to sit as forward as possible in town and sometimes the vibes produce interesting effects on my manly parts...
The Following User Says Thank You to Plasmablaster For This Useful Post:
UAV (08-27-16)
post #10 of 13 Old 06-20-16, 03:09
linville33

I'm 6'1 and in town I ride almost up to the tank in the city. Maybe a inch or two back. When I ride on the highway I slide back a little more.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement