Slipper Clutch and Blipping - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #11 of 29 Old 11-16-07, 10:33
M-Daytona

Guys, I had some long discussions about adding a slipper clutch, but was told by many, including racers to learn to blip first, I guess it's a question of learn the hard way, feel how bike reacts etc etc

I can blip easily on roads when not at warp speed, however on track it's a different matter, I've locked the back wheel several times and it's bloody scary!

For those who have the SC, is it worth it? particularly on track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 12-18-07, 17:37
ggillies

Talking

Having spent the last 30 years riding Motorcycles and racing Cars, I have the art of blipping the throttle down to a science..... when I got my 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, I had no idea it had a slipper clutch.... after riding it for a year, I can tell you I am now a HUGE fan of slipper clutches!!! You can just bang down through the gears as fast as you can let the clutch out and the rear end stays totally planted and straight... it really helps under simultaneous hard braking and downshifting.... I still blip occasionally, but it's just for fun and to make nice noises now...
post #13 of 29 Old 12-18-07, 22:47
ShnikeJSB
Resident Heckler & Deserter

Send a message via AIM to ShnikeJSB Send a message via Yahoo to ShnikeJSB
:::waits for canyondancer:::

Josh, AKA "The Post-Whore Formerly Known As The Post King , Formerly-Formerly-And-Currently-REdubbed Resident Heckler"

E-Mail me: [email protected] MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/thisisjoshsmyspace

post #14 of 29 Old 12-18-07, 22:52
vg13z
BOTM Pimp Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to vg13z
I will be putting a slipper in before I ever have my first trackday.

I am spoiled. I will enjoy the security it provides, and will also enjoy learning my trackbike and trackdays from the start with a great setup.

I still can't get used to this new layout
post #15 of 29 Old 12-20-07, 00:07
Just Bob

Well, I blip pretty well and usually downshift as late as possible but I still deal with the hop quite a bit. I finally rode a bike with a slipper of sorts (the new Buell 1125R - hydraulic slipper) and was amazed how much easier it was to get into the turns faster and smoother. I don't have to have one, but I'd sure like one.

Hey vg13z - Did you ship those gloves?

post #16 of 29 Old 12-28-07, 01:43
becyk

Well, guess I ordered a SC today and can't wait to try it out.

I also have the blipping/downshifting thing to a 'T' and never (almost) hop the back end...but on corner entry at full throttle before hard braking & downshifting, I'm sure the SC will let me concentrate more on corner entry when I'm riding 'on the edge' of sanity :D .

--->>>> Is the SC something you have to get used too or do you just keep riding the same way as without a Slipper Clutch ?

Thanks for the replys

I sure feel better knowing I bit the bullet and spent the $$$.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
post #17 of 29 Old 12-28-07, 02:09
ofcounsel
Mod & "Resident Baller"...

You will feel some initial "pulsing" when you first pull in the clutch at low speed, but beyond that, you just ride the bike normally on the track.

Frankly, I'm not that great at shifting. I was not very smooth so my back end used to hop all around the track (never was an issue on the street though)... so the slipper is awesome for me.

My street Daytona 675 doesn't have one though, and its no big deal on the street.

Stop.... Hammer Time!

WSMC#83 www.wsmcracing.com
WERA#83 www.wera.com
CVMA #83 www.cvmaracing.com
Sponsored by: www.westcoastgpcycles.com / Pirelli / www.group22.com / Driven

post #18 of 29 Old 01-29-08, 00:15
fast4fun

I just installed the SC in my bike but have not ridden on the track yet. I'll keep you posted about my first impressions as soon as i can get on track. Hopefully at barber in March. What I'm certain of is that worrying about shift points upon entry (especially into turn one on most tracks) takes something away from your concentration. It's my hope that I'll eliminate one more item from my mind upon entry to make the turn as smooth and fast as possible. What's with the font change? I've seen how the slipper works and doubt that you should need to blip the throttle... just downshift and accelerate out of the turn.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-25-08, 23:22
KevinH

I have a SC and still blip when I downshift.When I blip the clutch doesn't slip . I can tell when its doing its thing. but I also put a speed triple throttle tube which really helped blipping because the throttle now has no slack and is about 15% faster. I have the stock gearing so I never really had a problem with the back hopping around but I can see that if you change the gearing and the engine braking got more serious there may be issues, but I enjoy the added safety.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-25-08, 23:24
TZRaceR6

No need to blip the throttle at all with the STM slipper clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement