Whats your Opinion on speed cameras (I'm an american) - Triumph675.Net Forums
Continental Europe, Middle East and Africa CEMEA Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events.

post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-12, 22:39 Thread Starter
DriftingMustang

Whats your Opinion on speed cameras (I'm an american)

Ok, So I was wondering what is the European and UK opinion on traffic cameras and your opinion of the lack of them in the US.

Ive been doing some research and here in the US, speed camera's are extremly rare, Ive never seen one in my life on this continent (diffrent story when i go to other countries how ever). In the US Its hard to even implement them because it often loses in legislation. when it does pass they often run into legal issues. I know some of our supreme court rulings surprise and sometimes confuse foriegners (at least according to the people ive met and news articles Ive read), but alot of people here (me included) will not trade freedom for safety. of course the general consensus on issues from region to region, Example, many Californians feels guns are evil and dangerous while Texans wonder how can live without one (or ten lol).

Personaly I think it's wrong. I acknowledge most people break laws when big brother isnt watching and thats how it should be. The goverment is to keep order not control. just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-29-12, 22:50
Far Canal

They are a voluntary tax and great for revenue raising. I reckon the Australian economy survived the GFC because of them.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-12, 01:01
Dismalrain770

Being an American and having lived in Germany for 3 years and traveling all over Europe during that time I have seen my fair share of speed camera's and have been popped by a few I see a purpose/need for them. Some countries put up signs warning you of the camera so your the real idiot if you feel that you still need to speed on that part of the road. Now that I live back in Cali they have have installed a few red light camera's around here which is basically the same thing and again stupid people still run those lights all the time. It is a good source of revenue for the state since your not paying police officers to sit around and wait for people to do something wrong when. I would feel much safer with more police officers spending time working cases and doing other patrols then sitting looking for speeders and people running red lights.

2014 675R
2012 Ninja 250R
2008 Neon Blue D675 (Sold)

post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-12, 17:26
Papachristou

i am totally against spped cameras/red light cameras for several reasons:

they usually dont know/cant verify who the driver is
their purpose is revenue, not safety. the illusion of safety perhaps. politicians quote all these cute little facts about how they will saves lives etc. ok how? do you think the guy who is so intoxicated he crawled to his car will go oh wait, red light camera, let me stop, or the person texting in their own little world will wake up and stop for the light?

their are often placed in low income areas/high traffic areas

red light cameras have been proven to increase congestion and rear end collisions while only very slightly reducing T bone collisions.

data clearly shows if you really want to save lives at red lights, just increase the yellow light time .5 or 1 second. several cities have been caught REDUCING the yellow light time below the federal minimum to INCREASE their revenues from the camera tickets.

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
Arrow Slip On - GB Racing Slider Covers
LSL Frame Sliders -Zero Gravity Corsa
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement