Rear End Sway - Lesson - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #1 of 8 Old 08-31-15, 11:05 Thread Starter
ApexIt

Garage
Rear End Sway - Lesson

Was out riding last weekend on a backroad and passed a car and laid into the throttle a bit getting around them. The rear tire hit the expansion joints and other cracks in the pavement and started shaking/swaying side to side very quickly...maybe a few inches at most. This is the first time it's ever happened for me.

I just kept the same throttle position until the pavement smoothed out and it stopped swaying and I smoothly rolled off and braked.

IMO, it seems like I did the right thing. I didn't crash...so there's that. Curious what you guys would do and the theory behind it. Need to learn from this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-31-15, 11:25
Glocken

Rear End Sway - Lesson

You did the right thing. Had you broke or let off you probably would have crashed. When you lost traction like you did, the last thing you want is to regain it mid turn. You staying on throttle help the bike continue the slide until physics took over and you got more upright.

If your rear was swinging (what I'm getting from your story) you just drifted your bike kind of. It probably looked awesome from a 3rd person pov.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #3 of 8 Old 08-31-15, 11:34 Thread Starter
ApexIt
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
I wish it were that amazing.

This happened when I was going straight. It felt like the back end was "shimmying" side to side really bad. It's the first time I've felt that, and not sure how to explain it. Were it in a turn, I'd be able to determine how it happened and why it was saved.

It's like the rear broke traction over the bumps and then just started shifting back and forth really fast until the road smoothed out. For lack of a better term...my bike was...twerking?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-31-15, 13:42
Glocken

That has never happened to me unless I did it purposely except for one time when I rode on powder snow. It wasn't bouncing or hopping it just fish tailed side to side.

Maybe check your suspensions. I've only had the front wobble and turn in a straight due to bumps.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #5 of 8 Old 08-31-15, 14:37
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Garage
Sounds like your rebound or compression (or both) on the rear shock are set too firm for those conditions. If you normally ride on smooth roads, it's probably okay as is, but when you hit rough patches it's either not compressing as fast as it should, or it's not rebounding after compressing to keep the tire connected to the surface.

2012 Street Triple (Trinity) - Phantom Black
Trinity's Build Thread
post #6 of 8 Old 08-31-15, 22:38 Thread Starter
ApexIt
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
I agree that something seems to be up with my suspension. Glad I mentioned this topic.

The suspension preload/static sag has never been set, so maybe I'll get that done after all and see how things feel.

Last edited by ApexIt; 08-31-15 at 23:58.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-16, 17:38
CRF Pilot

Yeah I wouldn't recommend letting off the throttle in situations like that. The thing is to not panic and make real abrupt changes in throttle position. I learned this when I used to race motocross. Never alter your throttle position when entering a whoop section especially when your rear end is swapping side to side. You just want to keep a steady momentum forward and not let the rear wheel grab too much traction.

2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2012 BMW S1000RR
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-16, 00:20
pavmentsurfer

Ive noticed on filled cracks in the pavement (when they fill them with the black tar stuff) my bike will "follow" the black lines. If they are really zig zaggy (nice word eh) the bike can feel like its shimmying. This may not be what you were experiencing... and I agree... probably taking a look at your suspension setup is the place to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement