190 vs 180 rear tire? - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 10 Old 10-29-20, 17:36 Thread Starter
trackday_slow_poke

190 vs 180 rear tire?

Hey guys!!

Great news about Cameron Beaubier!!! More Americans racing in Moto 2. Yaay.

ANYWAYS>>>

I have put a 190 55 on the rear of my 13 Daytona 675 non R. The chain is rubbing on the side of the tire. Its a 530 or a 525 chain. Does anyone know if i can run a 190 without problems?

Should i get a 520 chain, and is that the fix?

I got a free set of track tires i am trying to use so it's more about budget.

Thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-29-20, 18:00
MGFChapin

Garage
Typically you can use a 190, yes, but actual size can vary pretty significantly among different brands. Before Dunlop came out with the 180/60, you were expected to run their 190 on a 600 and it worked fine for everyone I know that used them.

Stock chain is a 525. It's possible you could get enough clearance with a 520, but then you're spending ~$250-300 on a chain and sprockets so that you can use a tire that would have cost about the same if you'd gotten the correct size.

Step one, which is actually free and should be done anyway, is being 100% certain that your rear wheel is aligned. The marks on the swingarm aren't good enough; you need a proper chain alignment tool.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-29-20, 19:29 Thread Starter
trackday_slow_poke
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I checked alignment and its correct. What's the advantage of running a 520 chain over the 525?

post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-20, 19:32
MGFChapin

Garage
The chain is significantly lighter. 520 rear sprockets are almost always aluminum, which is much lighter than the stock steel sprocket. More gearing choices are available in 520 sizes so you can sacrifice a little top speed for better grunt. The only drawback is shorter life, but I can usually get 2 full race seasons out of a chain & sprockets.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-29-20, 20:25 Thread Starter
trackday_slow_poke

That makes good sense to me. I will plan on replacing the chain and sprockets with the 520. Any brand recommendations? Also do you have a front and rear combo for gearing that is good for tracks like "The Ridge" and "Thunder Hill"?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-20, 23:38
MGFChapin

Garage
If you want top of the line, the best chain is an EK 3D 520GP. Good budget-friendly alternatives are DID ERV7 or EK MVXZ2.

I like Driven sprockets. The rears are available in lots of different colors too, if you're into that kind of thing.

Stock 15/47 gearing works well for me at the Ridge and T-hill. When I go to Pacific or Portland, I need slightly longer gearing so I go to 15/46. Keep in mind this is mid-pack expert racer pace with a little more horsepower than your average 675, so you might try something a little gruntier like 15/48.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-30-20, 20:39
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

There is one steel sprocket in a 520.

Supersprox is a hybrid. Aluminum spokes with steel teeth. I have one and have 9,000 miles on it.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-31-20, 13:26
NewYork

There are several steel sprockets available in 520 pitch. I use SuperLite on my track bike but I also have a Driven steel sprocket on my street bike. Just look around you’ll find something that works for you no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-20, 16:22
manxkiwi

Garage
I doubt a 520 will gain you any more tyre clearance though. The sprockets mount on the same inner face. The plates may be a few thou' thinner? That would be it, I'd think. For anyone not aware of Chain designation: 5 is the pitch (5 1/8ths of an inch between the pins). '25 is .25" (1/4"), '20 is .2" (1/5"). This is the sprocket width, not chain. As I said the plates themselves might be very fractionally thinner?
But for the other reasons, 520 is a good way to go for sure.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-20, 17:12 Thread Starter
trackday_slow_poke

I thought the same thing that the difference between chains would only be a small difference but it was actually what I needed. I’ll post pictures later but I just finished two days at thunder hill east 3mi with the 520 EK 3D and driven sprockets and it didn’t touch the tire once. Also the 190 was very grippy even in the cold weather. I of course used tire warmers and ran in B class and my fastest lap time was a 2:12. Great weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement