Triumph 675 Forums banner

Kriega tail bag (with alloy buckles) mounting questions

30K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  s.imani 
#1 ·
HELP!

I just received the US-10 bag with the new alloy buckle system. The entire frame strap configuration is very discombobulating to me. The photos in the instructions suck huge balls! Also, how does the US-10 strap to the US-20? If someone could post up good, clear photos of how the new straps are supposed to look once routed around the frame that would be great! The interweaving of the frame buckle thing would be especially helpful!

The Kriega rep told me to use the alloy buckles with my older US-20 and that the two bags would work together. Laying it out last night - all I see are a bunch of fucking straps everywhere, lol.

#2 ·
Yeah dont know why you got the buckles, but your US20 should have little plastic loops and that is where you will feed it through to strap them together. Also mounting should be the same as the 20.

This is going off what I have seen by the way. You obviously know I dont have both.

#3 ·
Only newbs start posts with HELP! :biggrinjester:

I went on Kreiga's website and I don't see this "new" ally buckle system. The way the US-10 attaches to the US-20 is as follows: mount your US-20 to the tail like you have done in the past. There are four "loops" on the top of the US-20. Take the buckles off the two straps to your US-10. Feed the US-10 straps through the US-20 "loops". Add the buckles back to the US-10 straps. Now place your US-10 on top of the 20 and voila!

#8 ·
Only newbs start posts with HELP! :biggrinjester:
My patience has run out - I feel like destroying something.

I went on Kreiga's website and I don't see this "new" ally buckle system. The way the US-10 attaches to the US-20 is as follows: mount your US-20 to the tail like you have done in the past. There are four "loops" on the top of the US-20. Take the buckles off the two straps to your US-10. Feed the US-10 straps through the US-20 "loops". Add the buckles back to the US-10 straps. Now place your US-10 on top of the 20 and voila!
The alloy buckle/frame strap stuff is on the site. I think the problem might be the way they packaged the stuff. The way you are describing how to do it does not match the way it is put together from Kriega. Maybe if I tear it all apart I can piece it together.

#5 ·
The new bags come with the alloy buckle/straps that have some fucked up way of wrapping around the frame. Hard to explain, as there are not any good photos of how this is supposed to look like. Out of the box, there are damn straps going every direction - this is extremely frustrating! :cuss: Went to bed last night pretty pissed about it all, was ready to jam it back in the box and send it back, lol.

#6 ·
The new bags come with the alloy buckle/straps that have some fucked up way of wrapping around the frame. Hard to explain, as there are not any good photos of how this is supposed to look like. Out of the box, there are damn straps going every direction - this is extremely frustrating! :cuss: Went to bed last night pretty pissed about it all, was ready to jam it back in the box and send it back, lol.
Haha. What do you mean "some fucked up way of wrapping around the frame"? The pictures on their website don't give me much to go off of. Can you upload a picture of the straps? How many straps are there? I would guess four judging by the pictures on their website.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi there.

I'm the US Distributor for Kriega and your plea for help popped up on my radar (for 'radar', read 'Google alert' ;).

Sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties getting set up with your new Kriega bag. It should have come with an instruction sheet tucked in the mesh pocket. Please let me know if it did not and I'll kick someone's ass in the warehouse. :cuss: Fitting instructions are available on www.kriega.us, but I am aware they are somewhat tucked away and am currently working on a few site changes to remedy that.

Hopefully, this will solve your problem: http://on.fb.me/LFGtz9

All US packs were upgraded to the new Alloy Hook Strap fixing system in March. It sounds like - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that you may have a pre-March 2012 US-20 and a post-March 2012 US-10. So, as ssbfgc posted, your best bet is to switch out the straps on the two bags and use the ones from your new US-10 to attach the US-20 to the bike (see link above). Then follow the instructions for pre-March 2012 US packs to mount the US-10 on top of the US-20. Then if you just wanted to the use the US-10 on the bike, you can just undo the quick-release clips on the US-20 and remove the Alloy Buckle straps and clip em into the US-10 and hook into the loops on the bike.

A good tip is to pack the bags to capacity (I just stuff em with towels) for the initial set-up. It tends to make things much easier to figure out.

There are a few close-up photos in this gallery here: http://on.fb.me/KiuBkn, such as these ones of a pre-March US-20 with upgrade Alloy Hook Straps on a Street Trip' R:

... and this one showing a pre-March 2012 US-10 on top of a pre-March 2012 US-20 (on my Scram'):

I hope this helps, but please do not hesitate to PM me a number if you'd like me to call and talk you through the installation, which will only take a few moments.

Thanks for choosing Kriega,

Michael

#13 ·
Hi there.

I'm the US Distributor for Kriega and your plea for help popped up on my radar (for 'radar', read 'Google alert' ;).

Sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties getting set up with your new Kriega bag. It should have come with an instruction sheet tucked in the mesh pocket. Please let me know if it did not and I'll kick someone's ass in the warehouse. :cuss:

Hopefully, this will solve your problem: http://on.fb.me/LFGtz9

All US packs were upgraded to the new Alloy Hook Strap fixing system in March. It sounds like - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that you may have a pre-March 2012 US-20 and a post-March 2012 US-10. So, as ssbfgc posted, your best bet is to switch out the straps on the two bags and use the ones from your new US-10 to attach the US-20 to the bike (see link above). Then follow the instructions for pre-March 2012 US packs to mount the US-20 on top of the US-20.

A good tip is to pack the bags to capacity (I just stuff em with towels) for the initial set-up. It tends to make things much easier to figure out.

There are a few close-up photos in this gallery here: http://on.fb.me/KiuBkn, such as these ones of a pre-March US-20 with upgrade Alloy Hook Straps on a Street Trip' R:

... and this one showing a pre-March 2012 US-10 on top of a pre-March 2012 US-20 (on my Scram'):

I hope this helps, but please do not hesitate to PM me a number if you'd like me to call and talk you through the installation, which will only take a few moments.

Thanks for choosing Kriega,

Michael
:bowdown:

This new mounting system seems really complicated given the old method was simple and quick. Why the change?

#19 ·
Hi Michael - I'm the guy you've been communicating with the last couple of days via email. :cool:

First - super thanks for the response with photos! :thumbup: You'll find there are a ton of Kriega-philes on the Triumph forums. I was going to email you again tomorrow about a couple of things but I think you covered them here.

Looking at the first two photos (I have a Street Triple), I have it all set up like your photo, except I don't have the adjusting buckle (on the frame strap) positioned to lay across the frame rail. I didn't think the seat would latch down properly. So with that buckle out about 1/2", it was digging into the seat, and the front alloy buckles were falling right under the front horizontal buckles on the bag. I removed it all and decided to just go with the original US-20 staps.
I was able to run the original straps under the frame rails without any issue (noticed right away by ssbfgc recently). Seeing your photo, I'll go ahead and give the new straps another try, although my first impression is that the original strap is a simpler, more elegant system providing you run the straps under the frame rail.

A

#27 ·
Hi Michael - I'm the guy you've been communicating with the last couple of days via email. :cool:

First - super thanks for the response with photos! :thumbup: You'll find there are a ton of Kriega-philes on the Triumph forums. I was going to email you again tomorrow about a couple of things but I think you covered them here.

Looking at the first two photos (I have a Street Triple), I have it all set up like your photo, except I don't have the adjusting buckle (on the frame strap) positioned to lay across the frame rail. I didn't think the seat would latch down properly. So with that buckle out about 1/2", it was digging into the seat, and the front alloy buckles were falling right under the front horizontal buckles on the bag. I removed it all and decided to just go with the original US-20 staps.
I was able to run the original straps under the frame rails without any issue (noticed right away by ssbfgc recently). Seeing your photo, I'll go ahead and give the new straps another try, although my first impression is that the original strap is a simpler, more elegant system providing you run the straps under the frame rail.

A
Ah-ha! Though you might be! Hope we got you fixed up in the end.

As for the photo; I'd be inclined to position the buckle on the inside or outside of the subframe, depending on how much length you need on the loops. But it does appear to work fine on the Street Trip' with the buckles sat on top of the frame (assuming it doesn't hinder attaching the seat and there isn't too much pressure on the buckles).

In fact, it might even be best to attach the web loops to the battery cage and undertray assembly / seat mech mount (a couple of inches in from the subframe). This will keep the buckles all the way under the seat and allow you to set the ideal length of the loop to avoid any contact with the seat.

Alternatively, (as it shows in the instructions, and as it sounds like you already have) you can slacken the attachment off a bit and set the web loops a bit longer, so they buckles aren't contacting with the frame at all (if you're concerned with the buckle digging into the seat, you can always flip the web loops upside down, so the plastic buckle is on the outside when it's all hooked up) As long as you lock off the web loop buckles, it won't be going anywhere. If the loop straps are still digging into the seat, it won't do any permanent damage (and it is a seat-mounted system no matter what straps you use, so there's generally going to be some degree of pressure on it), but you can always pop a little padding in between if necessary.

The precise positioning all varies from bike-to-bike, but you definitely should be able to get them working perfectly on the Speed Trip with a few minutes trial and error.

Hopefully, you'll like the new system as much as everyone else seems to once you've got it set up precisely how you want it.

Cheers,

Michael

#23 ·
Yeah if we could do a sweet group buy or something with a nice price I would be up for a US10, since my US20 gets packed to its limit haha

I am in love with my US20 it has worked amazingly for me so far and the quality is past top notch.
Yeah, my US-20 reminded me of a swelled-up dead cat on a hot summer day. :laugh:

After seeing ssb's US-10 in action, no doubt it's the best "day trip" option when all one needs to carry is a rain suit and other minimal junk. Plus, I couldn't move around in my seat like I wanted with the US-20 in back. The US-10 should be perfect.

My wife has a Kriega backpack - she really likes it!

#21 ·
I love my US20... the mounting system did take me a few minutes to figure out but once I did it seemed pretty obvious. lol. Now taking it off and putting it on is a breeze. Plus I love not having to worry about my important stuff getting ruined if I get caught in the rain. Super nice quality work for sure.

Like TwoWheeledWonder I really need to get a US10 so I can make sure I can take everything! haha

#22 ·
I always take my Macbook Pro with me to work. Wednesday I got caught in a torrential downpour on two different rides, getting soaked consistently for more than an hour. My Macbook was in my Kriega US10 on the tail, and I never even thought about it. Now THAT'S confidence in a product! :thumbup:

tnr

#29 ·
Michael,
I spent 4 hours this morning working with this - I've routed the frame strap exactly as shown in the photo you provided. The seat will not latch correctly without really being forceful. If you locate the adjuster buckle out far enough so that it does not interfere with the seat, this is how it looks:

(The strap has been removed from the frame)

The problem - pictured on the seat is the US-10. Unless it is jam-packed full, you can't cinch the retaining straps down tight enough to do any good. The adjuster buckle is all the way up against the loop. I did not dig out my OEM seat and try it, but unless it's a lot different on the bottom side from the Sargent, someone's going to be breaking either the buckle or worse yet, that expensive plastic side panel.

I re-installed the original straps - they work great! Notice that they easily wrap around the subframe. Here's how I route them:

Front

Rear

With the seat installed:

I have no doubt that the new strap system probably works better for a variety of bikes, but IMO - the original works better on the Striple. :grin:

#30 ·
Hi mate,

Sorry for the late reply - for some reason I didn't get notified that you'd posted.

So maybe it could be that the after-market seat is the issue, but I would have expected it to have still be doable - I know it is on the standard S'Trip. That said, I'm sure you went through every conceivable option in four hours! However, do let me know if you ever decide to give it another bash.

Glad you got fixed up the compression straps. Do you have the Female to Female Connector Clips, that help tidy up the loose straps when the bag is off the bike. Let me know if not and I'll have some sent out to you.

Cheers,

Michael

#36 ·
Bamboo671
Thank you for the images of the setup on the newer ('14) 675R seat, I've been searching to better prepare myself for the install. If you have any other images of the set up or final finish of the pack on the bike, I'd like to see it. I just ordered the combo 30 so i'll have a US20 under a US10, looking forward to it, I still haven't seen it on a 2014 675R Daytona.

Also, how much of the bike did you need to breakdown in order to set those straps into the tail like you did? If anyone else can answer these Q's, I'd appreciate the input.

Cheers!
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/member.php?u=6881

#37 · (Edited)
I'll have to take more pictures for you. I had some but have since deleted them. The US30 Combo is a great setup. That's what I have and I have found that I consistently use the US10. It's nice to have the whole 30 but I use it only two or three times a month.

I didn't break any of the tail section down. I was able to loop the straps around the subframe with it all together.

EDIT: You're in luck. I still had them loaded on my photobucket account! Here ya go. Disregard the gear I stuff it with (the blankets at least)! It was just for reference for what you can get in there with no issues at all.

The US20:

The US10:

#40 ·
If your connecting under rear seat, connect a set of them to the aluminum bracket under the seat, that's a pretty sturdy spot and another closer to the front of the bike there is another metal (black) bracket. If you're having trouble I can take a photo. Mine have been sturdy af.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.