Triumph 675 Forums banner

Slight oil 'leak' from top of crank case

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  nancy675 
#1 ·
hi all! First time poster here! I've just bought my latest toy, 09 Daytona 675, only to come home from my first ride to see a very small amount of oil seeping from what looks to be the top of the crank case (hard to see due to fairings - and I'm not game to take them off on my own yet! but I think that's where it's coming from). Photo included. No drips under the bike or in the belly of the fairings, and none on my boot after the ride. Anybody else have a similar issue or any ideas what it may be? I'm booked in to take it to Triumph next week but was just hoping to ease my worried mind a bit hahaha.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are you taking her to Triumph for that leak only? If so then it's really not worth it. You will be charged big bucks for a simple job you can do yourself.
Getting to grips with taking your bike apart and putting her back together can be a daunting task the first few times. But you'll be doing it blindfolded in no time trust me, we've all been there. Get a service manual and follow it to the letter, and always make sure you have the right tools for any job before you start, and you'll be fine.

About the leak
I would take the fairings out and get a clear look to be 100% sure where this leak is coming from before I let anyone touch it. There are quite a few places up top where the engine could leak a few drops of oil.
Get in there with a flashlight and check all gaskets and seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks so much for your reply! It's going in to Triumph for a service, I've only just bought the bike and want to get a once over done by people who know what they are doing. Thankfully my local Triumph dealer are legends and I trust them to not rip me off :p

#5 ·
If it's the stator cover that's leaking, it can be a right pain in the hole to get it to stop. Took me three attempts and the better part of two years. Mine ended up leaking from the grommet in two places, where it meets the block/cover, and venturi pulled oil up through the holes where the wires come through. When you put a new gasket on, cover both sides with a good sealer, then slide the cover on, the magnets from the stator will hold it in place and wait at least 15 min before you torque the bolts in place. If you go straight to torquing you will push all the sealant out of where you want it to be. Let the sealant set up a bit first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.