Triumph 675 Forums banner

2nd Gear Issue

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  devonhamiltonwork 
#1 ·
Alright everyone I am in need of some help from all you wise 675 owners.

Just recently at the track my 06 Daytona 675 with 19.5k miles developed an issue.

This only happens in second gear. Basically as I am accelerating I hit around 7k rpm, the bike stutters. It is almost as if there is a rev limiter as there is no change in the rpm but also no power going to the back wheel. it only lasts about half a second but it jerks the bike quite hard. This will happen again and again if i keep trying to accelerate through second gear but only in second gear.

I hope someone knows whats going wrong so I done have to start throwing parts at it!

I also know it is not the clutch as there is appropriate slack in the cable and I also took apart the clutch to check the plates and they are very good.

Thank you all in advance!

#2 ·
I'm not an expert on motorcycles by any means, but it could be second gear is popping out then back in. So either a worn gear or selector fork. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in here, because I'm not sure why the rpms would remain constant if this were the problem.

#3 ·
If this was the clutch or if you were slipping out of gear you would experience an RPM increase rather than a stutter.

Since this is only happening in second gear I would recommend that you reset your adaptions. You can do this with tuneecu or just by starting the bike and NOT TOUCHING the throttle for 10-12 minutes while it idles. Turn it off and back on and see if this fixes the issue.

#4 ·
If this was the clutch or if you were slipping out of gear you would experience an RPM increase rather than a stutter.

Since this is only happening in second gear I would recommend that you reset your adaptions. You can do this with tuneecu or just by starting the bike and NOT TOUCHING the throttle for 10-12 minutes while it idles. Turn it off and back on and see if this fixes the issue.
I gave the turning it on and not touching the throttle a go with letting it run for 11 minutes but no luck. Guess I will have to read up on the tuneecu and grab a cord. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
Tried the 30 minute as well, no luck and it was most definitely up to temp. I have the chord ordered to try and redo the tune.

Any other suggestions?

If the tune doesn't work I am going to change out the CPS/stator combo since I have a spare and it could possibly be the cps.

#7 ·
Well, used tuneecu to throw in a new tune but no luck. Also, the exup valve is already deleted and I was sure to apply that to the new tune.

Time to replace the cps/stator combo and if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to bring her to a shop :frown2: