Tires (yes again) - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-24-20, 18:33 Thread Starter
spychic
Junior Member
 
spychic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 110
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Tires (yes again)

Pandemic has led to a tire shortage. Having trouble finding a mated set. Local shop rx Conti Motions b/c they're cheap and they have the front in stock so just need a rear. Revzilla reviewers rate them as a 3.5 or less tire.

I don't mind spending more but have never much loved what came on the preowned 2012 D, OEM Corsa in front and rear Rosso IIs. Not worn just over 5 years old and hardening rubber now lets go in curves.

Love loved the Pirelli Dragons from my '07 D675 b/c they had a much rounder profile, handled monsoons, and gripped in all temperatures. The treads look a bit like the Rosso IIs, but those have not inspired the same confidence in leans.

Am not knee dragging or doing more than spirited country and city riding. Aggressive maneuvers muchvless often and only occasional commutes.

So just let me know what you like and why. With so many tire options, wish tires could be an ongoing forum thread. I get that while we all ride the same bike, how we ride is likely much different than someone else. But hearing 675 owner opinions applies more than random Amazon or Revzilla reviews.
spychic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 10-24-20, 19:48
NewYork
Junior Member
 
NewYork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 64
Thanks: 32
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spychic View Post
Pandemic has led to a tire shortage. Having trouble finding a mated set. Local shop rx Conti Motions b/c they're cheap and they have the front in stock so just need a rear. Revzilla reviewers rate them as a 3.5 or less tire.

I don't mind spending more but have never much loved what came on the preowned 2012 D, OEM Corsa in front and rear Rosso IIs. Not worn just over 5 years old and hardening rubber now lets go in curves.

Love loved the Pirelli Dragons from my '07 D675 b/c they had a much rounder profile, handled monsoons, and gripped in all temperatures. The treads look a bit like the Rosso IIs, but those have not inspired the same confidence in leans.

Am not knee dragging or doing more than spirited country and city riding. Aggressive maneuvers muchvless often and only occasional commutes.

So just let me know what you like and why. With so many tire options, wish tires could be an ongoing forum thread. I get that while we all ride the same bike, how we ride is likely much different than someone else. But hearing 675 owner opinions applies more than random Amazon or Revzilla reviews.

I have only ridden this bike (14 675R) with the tires it came with SuperCorsa SPs and now I have my track tires from last season SuperCorsa Track Day. I only ride in dry weather and ride curvy backroads/up state mountain roads mostly at a moderate pace and these things just grip all day but we all know that already...Pirellis are awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NewYork is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 10-25-20, 08:59
Chirp
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 398
Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Dunlop Q3's. I use them on everything including my track bike. Excellent traction dry, wet, cold. Reasonably priced. On my 675's I got just over 3k miles rear and just under 6k front. That was using 36 psi rear and 33 front. Mostly moderately aggressive sport riding on Pennsylvania back roads.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R
Chirp is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 10-25-20, 11:25
Renboy
Member
 
Renboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guelph
Posts: 577
Thanks: 8
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
Dunlop Q3's. I use them on everything including my track bike. Excellent traction dry, wet, cold. Reasonably priced. On my 675's I got just over 3k miles rear and just under 6k front. That was using 36 psi rear and 33 front. Mostly moderately aggressive sport riding on Pennsylvania back roads.
Agreed on the q3's. Next year I'm moving to slicks but this year I got 7 tracks days out of a set. They won't hold up to a fast pace in red/A/advanced, but they're perfectly capable in a medium group.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
Renboy is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 10-26-20, 06:35
Chirp
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 398
Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Agreed on the q3's. Next year I'm moving to slicks but this year I got 7 tracks days out of a set. They won't hold up to a fast pace in red/A/advanced, but they're perfectly capable in a medium group.
Which is the group I ride in. I should have noted that the 675's I refer to on mileage were previous Street Triple 675's.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R
Chirp is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 10-26-20, 19:21
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,104
Thanks: 416
Thanked 181 Times in 143 Posts
Another vote for Dunlop Q3+. They last, heat up easy, and they are a fraction of the price of other brands.
Shamrock is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 11-04-20, 14:41
Bmore
Member
 
Bmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: bawlimer
Posts: 356
Thanks: 15
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Garage
Dunlop has been offering rebates for their Q3+'s for years too. Make sure you send your receipt to Dunlop.
Bmore is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 11-10-20, 12:00
Arawn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For that kind of use I'd go with Michelin Road 5s. The Q3 are fantastic, but short lived, and if you're not pushing it there is no point in going with that kind of tire. The Road 5 is surprisingly capable and leaps and bounds better in the wet, not to mention it will last twice as long as a Q3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191117_103010.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	253701  
Arawn is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 11-11-20, 09:06
RickT
Senior Member
 
RickT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 928
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT

I've been running Pirelli Angel GT's for the past few years (on my second set). Find them great in dry and wet conditions as well as gripping well in the cold. I'm not the knee dragger type of rider so if you're looking for outright performance these may not fit your needs.


I also find I get more than double the mileage as I did from my prior tires.
RickT is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 11-13-20, 03:48
proteus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the streets, I'd still go for Supercorsas, because they'll easily last 3,000+ miles, so they're well worth the extra cost in grip / confidence / safety.
proteus is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to proteus For This Useful Post:
NewYork (11-15-20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome