2013 Street Triple Front Brake Pad Change - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 3 Old 12-12-19, 22:31 Thread Starter
Nphilps

2013 Street Triple Front Brake Pad Change

New to the forum. I searched but didn't see anything specific to the non-R Nissen calipers. Hoping someone has a link on how to change the front brake pads. Appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-13-19, 11:06
GMike278

Brake pad servicing is pretty standard across the board but off the top of my head here's how I do mine on my Street Triple R:

*Assuming you've checked your rotors with a micrometer and they're not worn out as well*

1) remove the little clip from the inboard side of the pad pin. (I use a little curved pick to pop it off)
2) loosen but do not remove the pad pin
3) if you're working on the stator side of the bike remove the small bolt and washer that hold the ABS sensor on and move the sensor out of the way
4) loosen up the two bolts that hold the caliper to the fork leg
5) take a bungie chord and loop it from the triple tree and have it ready so you can hook the caliper to it.
(obvs you don't want the caliper just flopping around by the brake lines)
6) now remove the two bolts that hold the caliper to the fork leg
7) Slide the caliper off and hook it to the bungie chord mentioned in step 5
8) remove the pad pin
9) remove the pad spring paying note to its orientation
10) remove the pads
11) clean clean clean (old toothbrush, q-tip whatever but get all that crud and brake dust out of there - pro tip:your exes shirts that were left at your house make excellent cleaning rags)
12) stick the old pads back in there and with a flat screwdriver pry them open moving the pistons back into the caliper
13) lube the pad pin and backs (piston facing side) of the new brake pads being careful not to touch the front of the pads
14) put the pads into the caliper and replace the pad spring, pad pin and clip
15) put the caliper onto the fork leg and bolt it back on - I use a light bit of copper never seize on the threads of the two bolts and torque them down. 55 nm for Street Triples
16) Replace the abs sensor (stator side)
17) Remove the bungie chord - riding down the block with it flopping around on your fork leg is not a good look

* repeat for other side*

Pull break lever in repeatedly and check fluid at the reservoir

Final step: stand back and admire your bike. Contemplate the 117 years of Triumph history and evolution that led to the badassery that is your 675

Last edited by GMike278; 12-13-19 at 11:11.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-13-19, 11:38 Thread Starter
Nphilps
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Hi Mike. Appreciate you taking the time to respond, and for sharing your experience and workflow. I agree, the 675 is pretty badass. The only reason I didn't purchase the R model is because I loved the Carribean Blue of the standard bike. A couple of tasteful mods later and the bike is perfect as far as I'm concerned...

I did a bit more looking around on YouTube last night and stumbled upon a well thought out and concise video; different bike (Bonneville), same Nissen calipers. I've included it here for interest's sake: https://youtu.be/Ji0phl_znEU.

Thanks again for sharing. Hope you have a great day!

Cheers,
Nathan

Last edited by Nphilps; 12-13-19 at 14:02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement