Electrical Issue(s) - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 3 Old 09-21-20, 02:24 Thread Starter
roguegc

Garage
Exclamation Electrical Issue(s)

I'm new to the forum world, I usually repair everything myself. however i am at a loss.

i have a bunch of pictures and videos but i do not know how to post them either

I bought my 2009 Daytona 675 in June, and for about a month, didn't have a single issue with it. For the past 2 months however, I have had constant issues with electrical. I've replaced the stator, the battery, and the rectifier. Now i have a wiring gremlin i cannot seem to track down for the life of me. The ignition wiring harness was what I thought the culprit to be, maybe a bad solder point, or a dirty pin in the connecting points, but after tonight, pulling everything apart, including the entire ignition assembly, I am to no avail.

There are times i have to wiggle the harness now, just the ignition harness, at the connecting point, for the bike to even begin turning on. Now lately while i have been riding, it is as if it wants to die. It has been cutting out, dash flicking, loss of power to all electronics, intermittently. When i bought the bike, the normal startup sounds would engage, and the fuel pump would engage a single time. Now the fuel pump is engaging every couple seconds after turning the bike on before starting, and continues to sound like its priming until i crank it up.

Ive checked all my fuses, all the connecting points on the harness itself and theyre all clean and good to go. My kick stand sensor is fine and not causing any issues, which is what i thought it could possibly be.

Tonight while trying to troubleshoot, i managed to somewhat pinpoint the wiring issue. When i wiggle the ignition harness at the connection point to the bikes wiring harness, the dash flickers, and/or the bike will cut power completely and then come back on like nothing was wrong. Ive moved the wires around that the ignition itself, no lights flicker, everything is fine, it only fickers and wants to cut power when i wiggle the connecting point on the harness itself. Ive gone through the entire connecting area, the pins are good and snug and not burnt on both the ignition harness and the bikes wiring harness that it plugs into. The harness leads nowhere else other then to the main harness, and to the ignition.

Ive read that this seems to be something of a common occurance with the daytonas, however, havent found much of a solid answer as to how to fix it. I have been told its the main fuse, which was check and is fine, been told its the starter relay, been checked and is fine, been told its just a loose wire in the ignition, was checked tonight and theyre all fine, have been told its possibly the guage cluster connection coming loose, but i dont see how that would be the issue, when that part of the wiring harness is seperate from the igintion assemblies wiring harness.

Im not good with just about anything electrical by any means and am trying to avoid paying an arm and half my soul for a shop to diagnose an electrical gremlin, to possibly have to problem reoccur in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-21-20, 06:47
Stephen Pilsworth

Are the wires going into the connector in good shape? I've had on mine where a tiny little split can cause a ton of issues.

My fix was to buy another harness and cut the wires and replace the connector. Solved my issue straight away.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 09-25-20, 15:34 Thread Starter
roguegc
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Recently my stator had blown, so it was replaced along with the battery and the rectifier. However, i had to wait just a bit for the stator, and kept riding a little bit, maybe a week?
During that time i think what happened was the ground wire on both sides of the connector for the ignition switch, thicker guage white on one side, brown on the other, had become damaged and burnt up, barely visible as the damage was on the inside of the connectors, causing it to arc, or ground out, or just not have a good solid coonection period. I clipped both the bikes harness ground wire that goes to the connection, and the ignition switch ground wire, and soldered them together outside of the harness connection, while leaving the rest of those wires inside the connectors able to plug into one another.

All in all, it fixed my gremlin issue that i have been chasing for months now. But, now that i have a bluetooth obd2 reader, i have been running through the different codes to get the bike back to tip top shape.
Im deleting the servo motor and buying a servo buddy, simply because i had just found that the servo motor pulley cables, one of them was way overstretched causing the butteryfly valve inside the exhaust to not operate, not open, and not close.

I also need to figure out the EMS Main Relay code i now have. Thats the last thing i need to do to get the bike back to riding ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200925_123037.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	253511   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200925_123042.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	253513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200925_123047.jpg
Views:	9