Tightening Wobbly Mirrors! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-18, 04:27 Thread Starter
Spacep0d

Garage
Tightening Wobbly Mirrors!

Hi there!

I have a 2013 675R and my mirrors are pretty wobbly. Seems like an easy fix, right? I removed the panels which cover some nuts and tried to tighten them, but they have no effect on the mirrors. Any clue how to tighten these down? I adjust my mirrors a lot whilst lane-splitting through tight gaps in Hollywood, so that doesn't help. Also, the right mirror is so loose the wind is blowing it out of position, making it hard to see what's behind me on the right.

All tips are welcome!

I'm hoping that replacing my windscreen isn't gonna be a pain either, though I *think* it looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks!

Spacep0d's MotoVlog!

Current Bike: 2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-18, 10:50
Phicurious86

Garage
Unfortunately for the 2013+ it seems like theres not much you can do with the screws/bolts.

What I did with mine was rotated them in and then glued some thin pieces of rubber onto the base that's exposed when you have the rotated in. Took a little trial and error to get the pieces where I wanted them, but mine are pretty stable now after having some significant flex/wobble at the rotating base.

Now that I'm thinking about it some black gasket maker would probably also work well.

Last edited by Phicurious86; 08-13-18 at 10:56.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-18, 19:04
Zaph

Mirrors that move often on these bikes get loose and stay loose, and there's nothing you can do. The previous owner of my old '13 tucked the mirrors in every time he parked to fit in a parking spot, only took a month for them to be flopping around like bunny ears.

It sucks I know. My main recommendation is to remove the mirrors and make it a race bike. :D

post #4 of 12 Old 08-14-18, 01:31 Thread Starter
Spacep0d
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Whoa, really? Man this bike is so good, but the right mirror blowing back makes it dangerous to try and change lanes to the right. I also can't see motorcycles waiting to pass me (where normally I'd see them and give 'em a foot wave of acknowledgement). Okay, I'll figure something else out along the lines of what you're saying. Would aftermarket mirrors even help at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phicurious86 View Post
Unfortunately for the 2013+ it seems like theres not much you can do with the screws/bolts.

What I did with mine was rotated them in and then glued some thin pieces of rubber onto the base that's exposed when you have the rotated in. Took a little trial and error to get the pieces where I wanted them, but mine are pretty stable now after having some significant flex/wobble at the rotating base.

Now that I'm thinking about it some black gasket maker would probably also work well.

Spacep0d's MotoVlog!

post #5 of 12 Old 08-14-18, 01:33 Thread Starter
Spacep0d
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
I can't believe it! That really does suck. The right mirror is just really bad. Is it the actual folding mechanism that has 'gone soft', so to speak? I gotta find some way to stiffen these back up. Lane changes to the right are dicey, even with thorough head-checks. I can't do the race bike thing, much as I'd love to. I barely get to the track as it is. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Mirrors that move often on these bikes get loose and stay loose, and there's nothing you can do. The previous owner of my old '13 tucked the mirrors in every time he parked to fit in a parking spot, only took a month for them to be flopping around like bunny ears.

It sucks I know. My main recommendation is to remove the mirrors and make it a race bike. :D

Spacep0d's MotoVlog!

post #6 of 12 Old 08-14-18, 01:37
Phicurious86

Garage
Bar ends would work ok if you're will to swap out the stock bar ends, but I don't know of an aftermarket option for the stock mounting point.

It really is a significant flaw on Triumph's part. You'd think you could design the mirrors to have tension adjustment for the mirror stalk to the base, but that apparently didn't happen for these mirrors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 08-14-18, 07:07
Cheyenne Bodie

Garage
I have some shoes like this, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38857346_711223265881028_3773097759872122880_o.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	247161  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne Bodie For This Useful Post:
Spacep0d (08-15-18)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-20-18, 03:55
Bri675

Its a crap design, Triumph should be sued for extorting money from people buying replacement mirrors.

The tube that is pressed into the bottom of the mirror base is just peened over to apply pressure to the spring washers.
If you constantly move the mirrors (or use the mirror as a helmet rest) you gradusally unwork the peening & end up with a loose mirror.

Its a bit of a faff but you can re-peen the tube using a ball bearing & press.
Getting it all setup & aligned in the press can be a bit of a pain, 4 hands make it a lot easier
& obviously your only going to get so many goes at re-peening the tube end, so don't move the mirrors unless you have too.

Also if you over do the re-peen you might find you can't ever tuck in the mirror.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-18, 15:43
ax10m

I noticed the wobbly mirrors shortly after I got the bike, I rigged a bolt and nut up that helped a little, but there is still some wobble. Will be taking it to the dealer and have them replaced under warranty.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-22-18, 17:31
AidanH

I got fed up trying to sort out the loose mirrors on my 2015 Street Triple ABS. I replaced them with second hand mirrors from a Speed Triple.

Bolted straight on and are miles better.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement