Problems compared to Honda CBR - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 12 Old 08-08-19, 05:03 Thread Starter
1050 king

Problems compared to Honda CBR

I was talking to a guy who was rambling on about the 675 SE compared to the CBR 600 rr . He would take the Honda all day. I want to pick up a 08 675 with 13k miles on the clock for 4k dollars. 12k interval was done. Valves etc.... I have owned a 2010 tiger 1050 with not one problem for 4 years. The triple is an amazing engine and I hate Honda. What was he talking about? Anything striking I should be aware of? The Triumph is ohhhhh so sexy and I know it will be a blast. Haven't test rode it yet but for that price I can't see going wrong. Tons of mods on the bike too. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-08-19, 08:28
Chirp

Honda is one of the best engineering companies in the world. Little ever goes wrong with their products. Not much excitement, for me, however. Triumph is a very,very good engineering company and little goes wrong with their products. More than Honda but not by much. I'd expect a well looked after 675 engine to last 100k miles. The chassis on both will need looking after; suspension fluids (at say 10k miles), shock link pivots, steering head and swingarm bearings lube (at say 25k miles). Get the 675 and ignore the Honda ocd'ers.

Edit: and despite my signature line, I have owned 3 Hondas, and worked part time in a Honda MC dealer (mostly doing new bike set ups), and owned 3 Yamahas and 1 Suzuki.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
post #3 of 12 Old 08-08-19, 10:30
Glocken

the only issue I've had was my rectifier and stator go

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-19, 01:12
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
The primary problem with the Daytona is the same one that the CBR has. Stator and Regulator/Rectifier.

That said as much as I love my 675 if I were going to try and put over 100k on a 600 motor I would go with the CBR. Not that the Daytona is a bad bike for a 600 itís just that Honda is well known for durable motors. Less powerful and heavier but more durable.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-19, 17:38
MadMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
The primary problem with the Daytona is the same one that the CBR has. Stator and Regulator/Rectifier.

That said as much as I love my 675 if I were going to try and put over 100k on a 600 motor I would go with the CBR. Not that the Daytona is a bad bike for a 600 it’s just that Honda is well known for durable motors. Less powerful and heavier but more durable.
If I may be so bold as to add CPS to the list. Admittedly, it's bought as part of the stator assembly.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-19, 04:44
OzMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1050 king View Post
I was talking to a guy who was rambling on about the 675 SE compared to the CBR 600 rr . He would take the Honda all day. I want to pick up a 08 675 with 13k miles on the clock for 4k dollars. 12k interval was done. Valves etc.... I have owned a 2010 tiger 1050 with not one problem for 4 years. The triple is an amazing engine and I hate Honda. What was he talking about? Anything striking I should be aware of? The Triumph is ohhhhh so sexy and I know it will be a blast. Haven't test rode it yet but for that price I can't see going wrong. Tons of mods on the bike too. Any thoughts?
In comparison I owned an 03 600RR, and binned it then got the 2012 Street Triple R.

Only issue I had with the 600RR was the CCT, which I swapped out for a manual APE one. Also the R/R but that was about 7 years old and replaced it.

So far with the S3R, I've had issues with Reg/Rec, the hoses leaking coolant, possible coolant leak around the cover, oil leak from the front of the engine where the pump assy is I believe (haven't fully checked it out).

I do enjoy the S3R, and it is really fun to ride however I have had more issues with this newer machine than my old RR from 2003.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R | SC-Project CF Oval Silencers | Triumph Quickshifter | 520 Conversion (-1 front)
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR
Sold: 2012 CBR250R | 2000 NSR150SP
post #7 of 12 Old 08-10-19, 10:49
Arawn

My '13 675R leaked oil and coolant; the countershaft seal is yet to leak though. All of the issues are very well documented on this site, all minor issues and none that would leave me stranded. That being said it doesn't inspire the same confidence I get from a Japanese bike although I have no reason to believe the engine will not last as long or that it will leave me stranded, it is just not that "gas and oil" experience you get from the Japanese. It makes some amazing noises that I can't get enough of, but it also makes some noises that I had never heard from another bike (CCT losing pressure).

My last GSXR was a fantastic bike, parked it and always looked back in a "thank you buddy!" kind of way. The Daytona I park and walk away and look back in a "damn, you're hot!" kind of way.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-19, 15:35
ThatsAgood1Jay

Garage
All bikes have their problems, the Honda just seems to have fewer of them.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-19, 18:20
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
Agreed. I've had customers with endless problems with their Honda and people with zero problems with their Triumph like I've had. That said I did a lot of preemptive modifications to prevent problems others have had. On a whole thought Hondas tend to be more reliable but less exciting in my opinion. It's the age old question old reliable or high strung and exciting.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-19, 20:53
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I did a lot of preemptive modifications to prevent problems others have had.

Are there any other reliability modifications you've done apart from:
- Heat Exchanger,
- Water/oil pump
- Cam Chain Tensioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement