Stator and R/R issues - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 3 Old 05-15-19, 06:18 Thread Starter
Łukasz Luboch

Unhappy Stator and R/R issues

Hi All

I really need some help as I tried almost everything at this stage and not sure what the root cause of the problem is.

Bike - 2007 Daytona 675

2 Weeks ago had issue with starting. Looked checked battery (Yuasa installed end Jan19)
and voltage was way low. I charged it up and bike had no issue staring but after a day battery was back to low so everything pointed to issue with charging likely R/R as this was still OEM triumph part most likely from new or recall (not sure).
I was doing major service anyway so asked my mechanic buddy to check this for me as well. He did some test and..
When we open stator cover up the lovely smell of burnt stator was first indication that something is really f***.

Anyway stator was partially burned so I ordered new stator plus new R/R and thought that will be it

Changed and plugged everything, bike run fine battery charged so of I went happy. Next morning all was good as well until afternoon commute home. Started to lose rpm's and finally died on traffic lights.

Anyway went back to garage check that everything is as it should be but seemed that R/R that we put in was source of the trouble so finally ordered MOSFET one from RMStator.

Put that, bike starts fine and output from R/R to battery is as it should be but wires from stator to R/R are heating up like crazy. Voltage is fine but current is strangely high at 28A.

Is this normal? What should be the current output from Stator?

Any ideas why wires would heat up so much?

I would be tearing my hair out if not already bold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-15-19, 13:35
AYoDread

Not normal, but with these aftermarket Stators and/or R/R it is happening. I've mentioned it in previous post, but my new stator from Rick's Motorsports completely melted my factory harness from end to end. I sent their stator back and they made me a new harness and updated my connectors .

I would have a new harness made that can withstand that amount of current from your stator

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #3 of 3 Old 05-21-19, 13:25
Greg57vw

I had the same problem. I wired the r/r straight to the battery and removed the plugs to the stator and soldered the connections there. There is a sticky on this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement