Asking to "see radar" - Triumph675.Net Forums
LEO Law Enforcement Officers - Q & A

post #1 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 01:18 Thread Starter
harcourt

Asking to "see radar"

Please bear with my long post, only read the bold if you must.

I was pulled over a few days ago for going "75 in a 55" according to the state trooper. I asked to see the radar to verify that he clocked me at 75 mph. I have heard from many people that by law they are obligated to show you. Upon asking politely if I could see, he asked me "do you even know where the radar is? I bet you don't even know where my radar is." Then he proceeded to name off all his "instruments" and reminded me that our conversation was being recorded as he pointed to the camera. He then went off on a rant about how ignorant I was for asking "it's just a radar, what I see is what I clock you at, there's nothing to show."

Can a police officer please tell me if it is a legal obligation for them to show (if it is even possible, since I'm not sure how radar works... does the last recorded speed usually stay up on the monitor?).

ANY help would be appreciated because I'm fighting this one in court.

Just some additional info: He said he clocked me using his rear facing radar since I was coming up on him apparently at 75 mph (another reason why I call BS on his crazy accusation since I saw the trooper and am not dumb enough to go 20 mph over the limit around him). How reliable are the rear facing radars on trooper's cars anyway? I was about 100 ft behind him (him in the fast lane) but 2 lanes to the right with a car on my left (1 lane away from him)... how far does the radar spread? and how can the radar pick up only my vehicle and not the one next to me (closer to his car)?

CHEERS

'08 Daytona 675 SE
'14 Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 05:36
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Not a LEO, but from everything I've been told and read, they are NOT required to show you the radar reading. They can if they want, but most probably don't because it's a safety issue that would require letting the person in the front seat of their car.

If you go to court they would have to bring the documentation of the reading AND be able to prove that the radar is properly calibrated though.

Everyone's favorite lurker-without-a-Triumph-anymore.

Current Toys:
2008 Bimota Tesi 3D - 2017 Janus Phoenix - 2015 Dragster RR

Ghosts from My Past:
2015 Ninja H2 - 2013 Street Triple - 2009 Ninja 250 Track Bike - 2009 Daytona 675 - 2008 Street Triple
post #3 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 07:37
S2R1K_675

Spring for a lawyer; save your insurance rates!

'09 Daytona 675-GPR Triple Thunder full system, Custom tune by MRP motorsports, Shorai battery, Watsen flush mounts, CA tail light
'07 Ducati S2R1K-Leo Vince titanium single pipe, spark midpipe, CRG levers, suburban machinery bars
'03 Monster 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011

post #4 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 11:33
adan

If you do end up fighting it, you can bring to court spec sheets from the "radar guns" commonly used by the officers, and ask him which one he has equipped on his car. then with beam shape angle and your est. distance from the device, you could very quickly do a lateral resolution calculation.

Last edited by adan; 03-03-14 at 19:29.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 12:53 Thread Starter
harcourt
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
If you go to court they would have to bring the documentation of the reading AND be able to prove that the radar is properly calibrated though.
Would I have to request this and schedule a later hearing or would these be readily available documents? I didn't think they would care enough to bring this sort of evidence for every person's speeding violation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adan View Post
If you do end up fighting it, you can bring to court spec sheets from the "radar guns" commonly used by the officers, and ask him which one he has equipped on his car. then with beam shape angle and your est. distance from the device, you could very quickly do a lateral resolution calculation.
Could you point me in the right direction? Where can I find this data? It would be great to have this on my side in court.

Thanks for your comments.

'08 Daytona 675 SE
'14 Street Triple R
post #6 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 17:02
qweesy

No they dont "have" to show you but yes if they locked you it will stay up on the radar, state trooper showed me 107 but he let me off with a warning really dont waste your time with arguing with the cop just be polite ask him to give you a warning and if not take the ticket keep your mouth shut.

fight it in court, it will be lowered if not dismissed if you lose at trial pay cash chances are the crooked county will keep the cash for themselves rather than send 70% the funds to the state....... which means it wont go on your driving record

DeAtH To ThE NeW WoRlD OrDeR

"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."- George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair)
post #7 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 17:13
scorched 675
BOTM Winner

The Police are not obligated to show you the radar. For your safety and for the safety of the officer. The officer is responsible if you get hit on the road by a passing vehicle. I never let anyone look at the radar. If they have an issue with the ticket, they can fight it in court. Just not worth someone getting hurt to see the radar.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 17:20
adan

edited

Last edited by adan; 03-03-14 at 19:28.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-11, 22:08
scorched 675
BOTM Winner

I know our rear radar is as acurate as the front facing radars. They are both the same radar, one forward facing one rearward facing. If you were directly behind him and only 100ft away the radar will pick up you, especially if your going faster and closer to the radar than the other car. I've pick up cars doing 167kph coming up from the rear about 1/2 km away. The radars are acurate and I know ours are tested and calibrated regularly. Just my two cents, I guess it doesn't hurt to try and fight it. Have to justify the cost of time off work, possible lawyer and see if it is worth persuing. Did he give you a break? I know if we give the party a break and they fight the ticket our crown will go for the full pop of the ticket.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-06-11, 00:12 Thread Starter
harcourt
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched 675 View Post
I know our rear radar is as acurate as the front facing radars. They are both the same radar, one forward facing one rearward facing. If you were directly behind him and only 100ft away the radar will pick up you, especially if your going faster and closer to the radar than the other car. I've pick up cars doing 167kph coming up from the rear about 1/2 km away. The radars are acurate and I know ours are tested and calibrated regularly. Just my two cents, I guess it doesn't hurt to try and fight it. Have to justify the cost of time off work, possible lawyer and see if it is worth persuing. Did he give you a break? I know if we give the party a break and they fight the ticket our crown will go for the full pop of the ticket.
I was not directly behind him. I was two lanes over. There were also other vehicles next to me. He gave me no break. Didn't reduce the speed at all or have the decency to be polite like I was.

Adan, the minimum width of a highway lane is 12 ft therefore I was at LEAST 24 ft to his right at 100 ft away. If you say the radar has a span of 20 ft at 100 ft... hm...

'08 Daytona 675 SE
'14 Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement