D675 Creeps with clutch in, hard 1-N-2 shifting - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 13:46 Thread Starter
Unicycle Santa

D675 Creeps with clutch in, hard 1-N-2 shifting

First post, glad to be a member of the Triumph community

I recently bought an '06 Daytona 675 with 33k miles on it. The bike is in immaculate shape inside and out, showroom condition. I have been doing lots of little maintnence things just to get a foundation so I know whats what. I have noticed that the bike is pretty damn hard to get into neutral. I dont necessarily mean finding neutral, but moreso the amount of force it takes to pop it out of 1st or 2nd into neutral. It often takes enough force that I overshoot into the other gear. Furthermore, the bike creeps in 1st with the clutch pulled in.

It doesnt do it as much when warm, but when cold I actually feel it pulling forward. I recently switched the oil to a mix of 1qt 5w40 and the rest 15w40, both Rotella T6. I have the old style dipstick and the oil is almost to the top of the hash marks, as I have read thats the way to do it.

I have searched the forums and read a lot of threads of people saying neutral is hard to find on this bike, but I dont think the meant its physically hard to get the shifter to click up or down when at a standstill. It feels like a clutch issue, but I am not sure.

Garage: '06 Daytona 675, '08 WR250X, '15 VW Golf GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 14:17
MGFChapin

Garage
Check the cable's adjustment, make sure it's fully disengaging the plates when you pull it in (you can see them through the oil filler cap).

Has the bike been sitting a while? Sometimes if a bike sits a long time, the clutch plates don't have enough oil and can stick together. You can pull the lever in with the filler cap off and pour a little oil directly onto the plates. If you really want to get thorough, you could take the plates out and soak them overnight in a container of fresh oil.

Oh and welcome.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 14:44 Thread Starter
Unicycle Santa
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Unicycle Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Check the cable's adjustment, make sure it's fully disengaging the plates when you pull it in (you can see them through the oil filler cap).

Has the bike been sitting a while? Sometimes if a bike sits a long time, the clutch plates don't have enough oil and can stick together. You can pull the lever in with the filler cap off and pour a little oil directly onto the plates. If you really want to get thorough, you could take the plates out and soak them overnight in a container of fresh oil.

Oh and welcome.
The seller did tell me he hasn't ridden the bike in a year and a half due to shoulder issues. However I did ride it home and have taken it out on a few spins, plus I changed the oil. I will start with making sure the adjustment is proper, however I have been riding/wrenching on bikes for almost a decade so I am fairly confident the adjustment isnt the issue unless I need to adjust something inside the clutch itself. I might pop the plates out and have a look, hopefully the basket isnt grooved or anything.

post #4 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 14:46
MGFChapin

Garage
That's good you've ridden it. Did you take it up high in the rev range to make sure the clutch isn't slipping? If they're the original friction plates, 33k miles is towards the end of their average service life.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 15:41 Thread Starter
Unicycle Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
That's good you've ridden it. Did you take it up high in the rev range to make sure the clutch isn't slipping? If they're the original friction plates, 33k miles is towards the end of their average service life.
I've been up there a few times but haven't really pushed it too hard. The clutch feels great though, grabs plenty and I haven't noticed any slipping. I took a look in the oil filler cap as I actuated the clutch and I do see the end plate move a few mm out from the clutch pack. I wiggled the plates I could see with my finger and they do move, I also didn't see any grooving of the basket from the small area I had a view of. I'm weary of popping the clutch cover off as this engine has never been apart and I don't want to risk tearing the gasket if I can help it. I do have permatex gasket maker though, but I'd prefer to leave it be if I can.

I feel as though this issue is more pronounced when cold starting. Is it possible the cold viscosity of the 15w40 is contributing to this at all?

post #6 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 17:58
MGFChapin

Garage
Yeah it might be worth trying a different oil.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 19:37 Thread Starter
Unicycle Santa

Yeah for sure. I just got back from a ride, I pushed it all the at through 3rd gear to redline and there's no slipping. When hot the shifting from first to second is clunky as hell. It shifts with a pretty hard smack. I don't recall that being the case before I changed the oil. I'm gonna pick up some Castrol 4T or similar, I've seen a lot of good things about it on here.

post #8 of 26 Old 06-06-20, 21:15
ducdiver

Does the bike want to creep at a stop in all gears or just 1st and does it get easier to shift from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th etc? If it was solely and oil problem I would think it should feel similar all the way through the transmission. Unfortunately you never know if there may have been a rough shift or two in the bikes previous life.
All that being said I've had bikes do strange things when clutch packs start needing replacement. Hopefully it's just a case of sitting too long and needing regular loving full throttle abuse.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-07-20, 03:14 Thread Starter
Unicycle Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducdiver View Post
Does the bike want to creep at a stop in all gears or just 1st and does it get easier to shift from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th etc? If it was solely and oil problem I would think it should feel similar all the way through the transmission. Unfortunately you never know if there may have been a rough shift or two in the bikes previous life.
All that being said I've had bikes do strange things when clutch packs start needing replacement. Hopefully it's just a case of sitting too long and needing regular loving full throttle abuse.
The bike behaves the same in all gears as far as creep goes, it's just more pronounced in lower gears cause it's easier to get the bike moving. Shifting the 2nd through 6th is nice and smooth, but 1 to 2 and back is clunky as heck, as though the clutch isn't fully letting out. I'm wondering if maybe the friction plates are warped. It would cause a lot of the symptoms I'm having.

post #10 of 26 Old 06-08-20, 00:30
TheRedSlayer43
Race Team Sponsor

at 33k I would replace the clutch and see if that fixes the issue. That's a few miles and who knows how well it was maintained before you got your hands on her. a quick ebay search pulled up plates and springs for around 35$, which is a rather cheap fix for your issue...

2019 Road King ~ "Lucille"
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 ~ "Natalie"
2013 Kawasaki ~ "KeeWee" wife's ride
2016 Yamaha R6 ~ Gone
2003 Honda CBR F4i ~ Gone
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ~ Gone
Life is short, live it while you still can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement