Engine Noise After Valve Adjustment - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-20, 14:12 Thread Starter
_.Andypants

Engine Noise After Valve Adjustment

Hello guys, I'm back with another maintenance trouble talk. So I recently have been doing the 12000 mile service on my 2013 Street Triple R and after doing my valves ( All the exhaust valves were around .15mm), the engine is making a noticeable ticking noise. Most of the people I have asked about it say that it sounds like valve lash. So my problem is if I did the math correct, why do I have valve lash? Also, When I went to remeasure them they were still slightly tight.
Tech Specs:
Og exhaust valves were around .15mm each
My manual says that Street Triple models to Engine No. 452999 is 0.275 to 0.325mm.
And Street Triple models from Engine No. 453000 is 0.325 to 0.375mm.
My Engine number is 6596573.
Vin is SMTL03NE5DT595288
Could my manual be wrong?
I have the Haynes Service & Repair Manual for 675 Daytona '06 to '12 and 675 Street Triple '07 to '16
I also have a video of the sound on my google drive if anyone wants to listen to it.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ni?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-20, 16:40
samwise_i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Andypants View Post
And Street Triple models from Engine No. 453000 is 0.325 to 0.375mm.
This is correct according to my actual Triumph service manual for 2013-16 bikes.

Not sure about the ST but the Daytonas use a different exhaust valve material for the Gen2 engines which are similar to your bike. Running them too tight can cause a valve to burn so I would make sure that they are at least 0.325mm per the service manual.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-10-20, 11:20 Thread Starter
_.Andypants
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Hey thanks for the reply man. Sorry its taken me so long to check back up with this. Wouldn't the tapping sound come from the cams having extra clearance with the valve buckets? Like the sound would be from the cams having a gap before making contact with the buckets on the teardrop end. Hence the tapping. This is my first valve adjustment so I'm still kinda new to engine work and troubleshooting. Thanks.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-11-20, 11:09
Renboy

Garage
My guess is cam chain tensioner.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-11-20, 16:27
samwise_i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Andypants View Post
Wouldn't the tapping sound come from the cams having extra clearance with the valve buckets?
Tapping sounds can come from many places for many reasons. A mechanics stethoscope can be helpful.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-13-20, 12:02 Thread Starter
_.Andypants

I dont think it's that. I just replaced the cct with a Manual ape one and tightened it religiously. The sound is coming from the left side.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-13-20, 12:19 Thread Starter
_.Andypants

I did the screwdriver in the ear trick and it sounds like the the tick is loudest around the far left exhaust valve. That one is the loosest of the 6 exhaust valves. I just pulled it apart again last night and remeasured the valves. Is it weird that all but the left most valve are still around .22 mm after shimming? I know I did the math right so idk why they are still tight. The left most valve is actually at around .35mm. Should all the other valves being tight make the one that is in spec tick?

Last edited by _.Andypants; 10-13-20 at 12:26.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-14-20, 07:37
Chirp

You've probably done it this way but since you don't mention it -- is the noise present with the bike fully warmed up, i.e., after a 20 minute ride? I've done nought but older bikes with screw and locknut adjustment but those made noise cold when the specs were right.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R
post #9 of 9 Old 10-14-20, 10:02 Thread Starter
_.Andypants

Thanks for the reply. I have ran it up till the radiator fan kicks on but I haven't taken it on that long of a ride yet tho. Although I don't see that working. It is a pretty dramatic tick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement