Old vs New @ GP - Triumph675.Net Forums
Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-19, 17:55 Thread Starter
ShaLaMae

Old vs New @ GP

I guess my title is a bit leading so....

I visited Jennings GP for the first time February 23,24 & 25 2019. I was invited by a group that I met a few years ago at a track day. Some of the best guys I have ever met.One guy has 70 bikes yes SEVENTY. Some really nice GP 250's. One took the plung on a 675 but has issues. One of them rides an older ZX6r more on that later. We had a group of 26 that traveled down from the North East. I left Boston 20*F and went to Jennings 85*F. I'm not a huge fan of the heat but this was working for me.
I was led to believe that there was going to be a tire vender there selling Dunlops ( there wasn't) but I had a hookup that came through. He was selling ContiTrack. I bought two rears M 180/60 and a soft front. They were fantastic . I love how they wear. Very round not V Shaped. They don't fall into a turn like Pirelli SC. They had a linear turning feel. Never broke loose with corner exit. They did take a lot of heat before you could push hard. Two full laps without warmers or one with and they worked great. I drought they will put down faster times then a real race tire but they should last longer and that's a huge plus for track days.

The track...
It was fun! Turn one went on forever. It was a fast knee down horseshoe 3rd gear rolling on all the way through you bang a shift through a kink left that's turn 2. Drift right full on till you think your going to stain your shorts. You look far ahead and it looks like a sharp right. The closer you get and it opens up to the point you can almost not touch the brake. This is 3, 4. This is where a good rider on a small bike can make leader bikes look like wimps. 5 through 10 is what ever left right ect. But turn 8 can wreck havoc. It's much slower than you think and closes up at apex. I thought I was the man Trucking through and its door closed quick. I threw her down to where I nearly touched my elbow ala a GP STAR . My rear slid out what felt like a mile and I went through the grass. It was hot and that moronic moves mad the sweat more than normal and I'm a sweater. Then you come out of 10. 10 can be trickery to get right. Go wide late apex then WOT kink in 11. Knee down brake click down twice crank over on the right side and hard on WOT till 1 and all over again hoping to get her right this time around.

So the title now.
I swapped rides with a buddy. He has a 12 Daytona R. I have a 13 Daytona R.
His quick shifter was not working and other than a slipon and rearsets it was stock.
Mine has the same arrow slipon but low, plus a TRS Link and one tooth larger in the rear. I also have been playing with setup #'s and I have a Superbike tail.
The 12 feels taller( seat and lack of link plus double bubble) might be the reason why? It also feels narrower maybe due to a different tank? The 13 Triumph changed many things and the tank is different too. Engine wise felt the same but the sound was a little different from the under tail exhaust. Mine felt a little more torquie. My bike has a taller tooth and that may be the difference. The ride was much more harsh not bad but my bike is plush. The 13 was smoother and easier to ride at least mine was. The 12 felt sharper but if your not careful it will cut too deep. His steering was quicker. It's taller and his rear tire is closer to the engine. The 13 is more forgiving.
So This is where my bike shined bright. It was shifting . The 12 to 13 felt like a massive jump with a more positive shift. I did install the Triumph race star and fork but it really did'nt do much when I installed it. I did it for insurance . My quick shifter was working his was not. What a luxury a QS is. Riding without one now is difficult . I stumble trying to shift. Boy I love my 13.

My other buddy has a ZX6r and its set up. Name it, he has it. Ok not everything but it's nice. The engine is stock. He's missing a QS. Everything else has been done. We swapped rides. I could not get it to go. I would shift it like a Daytona way too early expecting it to pull. It wouldn't. It was flat. Then I remembered you need to ring it's neck. Tach went to red & she was SCREAMING and it took off. I'm used to that sweet Triple sound. Instead all I heard was a pack of teen girls screaming . I hated it . Horrible noise . Crappy shifting . Heavy! Boo give me my Tramp back.
We get back to the pits and he was all teeth telling me I am an awful person, I just cost him a ton of cash. He cant believe how much of a better bike mine is and how easy it's to ride. He's searching for a Daytona now.

Jennings is fantastic. If you haven't gone GO! Especially around this time of year. It takes the winter funk away. Great weather , better people. The track owner Jackie told me she sold out for Sa and Su and never did I have an issue with traffic . It was really open and surprising very safe.

I'm not much of a writer but just wanted to give a quick run down of my weekend. Everyone at the track was great almost no incidents tons of track time. I have a picture of the group I will post later. It's on my phone.

That's my 2 cents. Sorry for the mistakes I'm a lazy writer .

Last edited by ShaLaMae; 03-08-19 at 16:51. Reason: I'm dumb
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShaLaMae For This Useful Post:
Cheyenne Bodie (03-08-19), Dave K (03-07-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-19, 06:17
Plasmablaster

Garage
Hahaha seems you had tons of fun. :)

Triumph should be giving something to people who convert other riders into triple-lovers :)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-19, 16:54 Thread Starter
ShaLaMae
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
Hahaha seems you had tons of fun. :)

Triumph should be giving something to people who convert other riders into triple-lovers :)
I'm so inpressed at how great these bikes are. It's hard to believe anything can be better. At least not at this price point.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-20, 01:48
eoinjoseph113

this good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement