Will you upgrade to a bigger bike? - Page 22 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Polls 675/motorcycle polls

View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to a bigger bike?
Yes 144 30.00%
No 336 70.00%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

post #211 of 220 Old 05-18-15, 10:34
BLavenia

Garage
I've actually followed the same pattern as several other riders here. When I was younger I kept climbing the ladder of bigger and bigger bikes all the time. Don't get me wrong, I have always disliked the likes of 'Busas and ZX14s, but I went from you normal 600cc sportbikes on to 1000cc Japanese bikes and then on to the Italian brands.

As I've gotten older it's getting harder to throw a leg over full on sport bikes these days and I love the fact that we have products like the Street and Speed triples, Super Duke R, Brutale, S1000R, FZ09, etc. I just don't need to be pretzeled up on a race bike to enjoy my day. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but it's just getting harder and harder to justify.

Eventually I realized I just prefer the smaller displacement over putting a bike in one gear all day and riding. Even riding my Yamaha FZ1 I realized I was doing 120 on the street whenever I revved it up and went through the gears at all, and I just don't need that kind of trouble anymore with a wife and kid. Thus I switched to the FZ8 for riding with my family or carrying passengers.

In all actuality, the way I ride at the track even showed that I was using 2 or 3 gears the whole lap on my CBR1000. I switched back to an R6 and realized I was having SO much more fun and really wasn't going much slower than I was on the 1000. At this point I really would give up horsepower all day for lighter weight. Don't even get me started on how much fun it was to flog a Ninja 250 around the track either! I felt like Rossi with the throttle wide open and had such a good time while working on so many factors of riding that I couldn't overcome with more throttle.

That's what led me to the Street Triple R. I use it mostly as a street bike and I've found that 100hp is about perfect on the road. Sure it's fun to play with the liter bikes now and then but for just a fun ride through a nice twisty road the 1000cc bikes just aren't where it's at for me anymore.

Funny as it is, my wife is the opposite! She's happy to put her Monster (not a high HP bike by any means) in one gear and ride all day without shifting much. Says it's more relaxing for her. That's why she really loves the V-twin nature of her Duc. Of course she loves the Triumph as well.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

2014 Street Triple R - GB Racing engine protection, Scorpion Serket Ti slip-on exhaust, Woodcraft swingarm spools, Triumph frame sliders, Solo seat cowl, Belly Pan, Driven bar ends and sprocket nuts, OEM fork sliders - anodized axle blocks - oil fill and check caps - shift link; OTHER BIKES: 2012 Yamaha FZ8; 2012 Ducati Monster M796 ABS (Wifey's); 2013 Honda CRF80 (Kid's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 220 Old 06-18-15, 21:57
pimprezawrx

I started on a 600, eventually got a 1000, now I want to trade my 1000 for a 675!

Going to be my do-everything bike.

Street and track weapon.
post #213 of 220 Old 06-27-15, 12:25
jdgun_13

Add a literbike is more like it... Doing that this week, as I miss the fun & excitement of the power.
The Daytona is not going anywhere though.

Most of you people are not capable of being your GD self, to damn worried about being politically correct.
2015-MV Agusta F3 800
2011- Triumph Daytona 675R

post #214 of 220 Old 07-01-15, 19:42
kknn24

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MaDCoW View Post
I went from a 1000 to a 675.
I agree with MaDCow, I went from a 1000 to my 675 Street Trip and love it for so many reasons! I think the fact that 675s are such great middleweights makes all the differance. I would not feel so happy with a 600 4 cyl.

The more I ride my Street Trip, the more I want to ride my Street Trip!
post #215 of 220 Old 06-12-16, 00:48
Crazy_bikerdude

I have actually gone the other way and scaled back. Unless you have track access or need the extra power to ride 2up all the time there is no need.
post #216 of 220 Old 07-28-16, 16:02
315daytona

Garage
I love my daytona, its an amazing bike. Almost perfect. If your a track rider you wont need anything more. However i ride my bikes 99% of the time on the street. Only one local track and its not very nice lol. I still absolutely think it has more than enough power, however its geared for the track, im screaming at 8k rpms just going down the highway at 75-80. My daytona isnt going anywhere, but there will def be something bigger parked next to it soon

09 daytona
post #217 of 220 Old 07-28-16, 17:35
Studio X

Garage
Lately I've been contemplating adding a KTM 390 RC to the stable. Would be a hoot to ride at track days and equally at home on back roads for short loops.

x

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

2012 675R / 2018 Tiger 800 XCa
post #218 of 220 Old 07-28-16, 17:53
Day

Garage
I'd upgrade to a better version of my bike, not necessarily for 1000+cc

post #219 of 220 Old 07-28-16, 19:12
HoneyBadger

Garage
Well, this year the racing and my times all made some serious leaps and bounds. About one more second (at my current best track) is about all the bike would be capable of - I'm pretty damn close to riding the little wheels off the Daytona (coming from the opinions of other, faster people). Well into the "very respectable" times for that bike.

So, the plan this winter is to step up to a newer, and bigger platform. Either the new ZX10R or the BMW, that pendulum could swing either direction but is kind of leaning towards the ZX right now.

At the moment I plan to hang onto the 675 and use it as a a B and/or alternate bike, and perhaps race both if i can afford it/have the energy for it in an attempt to rack up points.

Going bigger just because I like the bigger bikes. A newer 600 I'd still have time to drop, but if I'm going to be putting in the money and time to learn a new platform, I feel like I'm ready to take on what I really want.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog - updated 10/27/16 with AFM Round 7 Race Report and 2016 Wrap Up

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2016 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; Woodcraft; Dunlop Race Tires; Pacific Track Time; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Cycle Gear; Motion Pro; Moto Guild; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs
post #220 of 220 Old 07-29-16, 08:47
Plasmablaster

Garage
100-ish power is plenty for me. More power is just silly for the road and tends to consume more brain cycles on track than it should for an occasional trackday rider like me. Highsides are no fun...

So I'm staying with the STR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement