FAQ for new riders: please add to it! - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #21 of 103 Old 08-26-07, 01:26
K.C.

My $.02

Here are a couple of thoughts that were passed on to me some time ago by a C.H.P. Motor Officer on street/highway survival. Good stuff, especially for new riders. (These are things I have seen happen time and time again while driving on-the-job!)

Never-Ever allow yourself to get between a freeway offramp (or split) and any other vehicle. It is not unusual for a 'cager' to decide at the last instant that "I need to go that way!", and there they go. Pity the rider (or any other driver for that matter) that is next to them when they make their move to the exit.

If possible, when going through an intersection, try to use other vehicles to block your sides. That is, if a car is going to blow a stop light/sign from the side or to pull out in front of you it is better to have another vehicle between that moron and yourself.

Ride between the "Wolf Packs". If you will notice, cagers tend to congregate in groups or packs while freeway driving. It's not uncommon to have up to a half maile gap between these Wolf Packs. There might be only one or two cars in that whole section, where in the packs there might easily be 50 or more vehicles all packed in tightly. In this respect this officer told me that officers will rarely cite you for getting "out of the pack" as long as you are doing it in a safe manner. In other words they know you have to go faster than the pack in order to clear yourself from it. (Generally speaking, as long as you aren't screamin' and weavin' through the pack and you explain your logic to the cop that pulls you over, you are probably safe from getting a ticket!)

Always assume you are 'invisible' to cagers. Plan every instant with the knowledge that people in cars/trucks/etc. have no clue you are in the vicinity and ride accordingly. Always assume that idiot will make that turn in front of you, or that the guy driving next to you will change lanes into your spot!

This last one is "tricky". While riding, you always want to try to see the other drivers face. Watching their face or head will generally give you a real good idea of what to expect from that driver. The only problem here is that if you are too focused on trying to see what the idiot on your right is going to do, you are not going to see that the guy in front of you has decided to stop for no apparent reason!

I guess my last comment would be to ride the "Murphy's Law" method. That being that always assume that any other driver will do the most idiotic thing they could possibly do, at the worst possible time they could do it, in such a way as to cause the most pain and damage to you.

Never let your guard down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 Old 09-27-07, 23:41
Thisstrangeengine

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Thisstrangeengine
Very good reading even if you're not a beginner... I'd like to thank all who took the time to write these posts, and it isn't a bad idea for ANY of us to refer back to them, if only for a "refresher course" to the real world. I sometimes find myself (maybe alot of us do at times) becoming a bit too comfortable while riding and assume everyone is aware there are bikes out there sharing the road with them. Then the wake-up call! Someone dodges out in front of you or slams on the brakes because they were'nt paying attention! We've all had it happen at one time or another.
I personally think anyone wanting to buy a sportbike should have to take some sort of advanced rider course like the one MSF offers. I've ridden alot of different types of bikes over the years with some time in between where I wasn't riding. The D675 is actually my first sport bike and It was a handful for me the first few times I rode it. Fortunately I'm old enough to know my limitations but young enough to get carried away sometimes.
I saw this on another members posts.... Sportbikes: Do stupid things faster! Funny, but true in the wrong hands.
Anyway, Thank again for the much needed posts...

Once you go Euro, you never go back!!!
Black is the Stealthiest!!!
post #23 of 103 Old 02-05-08, 13:46
KeyboardDevil

I posted a 'getting started' riding article on my blog:

http://www.keyboarddevil.com/blog/2008/03/i-want-to-ride/

Last edited by KeyboardDevil; 06-20-08 at 17:25.

post #24 of 103 Old 02-19-08, 22:25
TRUOMEGA

Send a message via AIM to TRUOMEGA
Lots of new riders buy the bike to "look cool". If thats the reason why then do not buy a bike. If ur trying to impress ur friends/girlfriend/colleagues by getting a motorcycle then you should think twice for numerous reasons:

-- Most new riders (and im talking a good +90%) say they will never speed if they get a bike and always obey traffic rules, however, That rule will
most likely faulter after the first few days of riding due to temptation.

-- You will attempt to stunt which shouldn't be done on the street and even if in a closed course, you do not have enough riding experience.

-- A new rider showing off will most likely swerve in and out of traffic and the end result is almost certain loss of control.

-- some newbs like show off the sound of there bike and allow others to play/ride with it just to show off how hot there new bike is and the most likely result is the other guy crashing, dropping, scratching or damaging the engine.

-- new riders will ride on the highways and eventually see a group of riders. Temptation will most certainly draw u into the group and make you do things that will result in loss of control. Group riders go much faster than the average person riding alone, they tend to slalom through traffic, white line (going in between cars) during heavy traffic and other dangers.

If u want to get a bike, then get one for reason other than being/looking cool cause once u down the bike, u tend to look like a complete and utter moron as well as excessive costs to repair the damage u caused not to mention ur risking ur life.

Anyone can make anyone cry.... But it takes a genius to make someone laugh.
---Charlie Chaplain---
post #25 of 103 Old 02-26-08, 23:16
mdalgity

Security meets safety

I just wanted to add to be sure to remember your new Disc Lock is in place before you go to take off.

Get you self a "remove before flight" ribbon or tape or something to remind you it is there so in the early morning, when leaving for work or something, you do not try to take off and drop your bike to the ground.

Yes, I was a Jack-Donkey and did this early in my riding days.

Mike

"You wont always get the thunder to warn you of storms ahead." - Ed Roland
post #26 of 103 Old 02-27-08, 22:03
chimkychink
PBOTM Winner

what a great thread...
i wish there was something like this when i started riding.
so here a few tips that i picked up over the years.
apparently, at least in the UK, the majority of accidents happen with 2 miles of your home, i guess the reason is that as people get close to home they sorta go into autopilot and don't pay the same attention as they would a new strange road.
also people metion losing concentration in the cold, but a lot of people get just as irritable and silly when they are too hot, i'm not saying that you shouldn't dump your leathers, but if possible buy a vented set of leathers for summer riding.
finally something that was told to me years ago and always stuck "its better to sweat than to bleed". always wear protection
post #27 of 103 Old 03-02-08, 11:55
clicker

Thumbs up First Bike - Discuss

Hi Guys,
This is my first post, so please be gentle with me! I wanted to add to the discussion on wether or not the Daytona is a good or bad choice for a first time bike. I have a vested interest in what's being said because, I'm in the process of buying a tornado red 675, and it's my first bike!! I very much appreciate the objective thought and un-partisan replies to previous posts on this matter and it's something certainly to bare in mind.
I would like to just point out, I'm a 41 year old father of 2 with a certain amount of life experience behind me ( and hopefully in front of me!) I think this is an important factor in the equasion, especially when you consider I've lost both a cousin and very close friend to bike riding.
I agree whole heartedly with the notion that you can't buy experience and in a case where your life is potentially on the line, never a true word was spoken! However, and this is my unqualified point, many of you suggest getting a smaller bike, 250's, 400's etc as a good starting point. But surely, with the speeds and performance of these lesser machines, you can still wrap them around a lampost or send them hurtling into a ditch if you're not careful. I was out on a ER6 yesterday, and had a little moment. Unquestionably this was down to driver error, thankfully no damage done and you live another day, but you see what I'm getting at. I very much appreciate, the 675 is a totally different ball game and potentially things may have been different had I been riding that. But my feeling is, taking as much care as I can and not riding like a ****head, it will be a learning curve the same as any other! Unfortunately, the child in me hooks onto something and finds it difficult to tread another path, the first time I saw the bike I was sold, I just have to have it!!
I can hear the groans, but if any of you out there can sympathise with my position, I'd love to get some feedback on things I have to pay particular attention to when first riding the bike. Incidentally, are the mirrors as bad as they say?
I pick the bike up next week, so I'll post again with my thoughts. Bloody exciting though!!...
post #28 of 103 Old 03-02-08, 16:04
hmuchmo1

Send a message via AIM to hmuchmo1 Send a message via Yahoo to hmuchmo1
I had never owned or riden on the street and the daytona was my first bike, i was 36 when i bought, so we are close in age. And if you are like me, a little intimidated, so I went to the msf school required here in Florida, and just basically took it really easy after getting my license. I also fell in love with the daytona the moment i say it, i said to my self i have to have it.

And i also live at the end of a cul de sac circle, and just litterally did left and right circles the first few days just getting used to keeping it under control while turning.

So i know a lot of people on here may discourage you because the 675 has a lot of power for first time riders but if you seriously take it easy as i did and take a class then i cant imagine it would be a mistake. But i dont know where your mindset is on how "Easy" your willing to take it at first.
post #29 of 103 Old 03-02-08, 17:17
clicker

Many thanks for posting that reply! I'm relieved that there are other like minded people out there in a similar position. I certainly don't want to kill myself and I don't have any compulsion to tear around at 500mph, 24/7! I just plainly have the desire to ride a beautiful bike in a way that I'm comfortable with. To be honest, I do feel somewhat intimidated by the thought of owning such a potentially lethal bit of kit, but I think that will hopefully keep me in good stead. To recognise your limitations can only be beneficial in this kind of enviroment. I'm sure for months to come I'll be the slowest guy out there, but I'm happy with that. To have the chance to ride such an epic machine will be satisfaction alone. Any thoughts on my question regarding the mirrors, I've heard they're shocking? Thanks again for your support.
post #30 of 103 Old 03-03-08, 14:02
chimkychink
PBOTM Winner

regarding the 675 there are a lot of posts about whether this is a good starter bike. i personally think so as long as you ride it with respect and treat it as you want it to treat you, in other words if you ride it like a fool then don't be suprised if it throws you off.
regarding the mirrors, yeah they suck unless you like looking at your elbows, having said that there are worse mirrors around.
getting back to the original post, i have another suggestion for new bikers. when you first pass, and if you get the chance to ride with more experienced riders don't feel like you have to keep up with them, most of them will handle the bike far better, ride fast and filter better, don't feel that you have to take risks to keep up with them. arrange a point to meet before you ride and get there as comfortably, slowly and safely as you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement