So you want to ride a motorcycle? - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #21 of 38 Old 02-22-13, 22:36
Dozerdogue

My first Road bike in high school was an 89' GSXR1100. I had ridden 500cc 2 stroke dirt bikes previous to this so it wasn't such a big shock. Those bikes back then were extremely fast and the bikes in todays market are ludicrous in comparison. Any bike you ride if you are new to riding will feel faster then probably anything you have ever been on or in. Even if it's not, the visceral feeling will make it feel so. I personally have more fun riding lighter smaller cc bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 02-23-13, 19:57
ggillies

Agreed... As an example ... Today's triumph 675 makes more HP than a 1992 GSXR1100, or the Cbr 900rr and those bikes were regarded as monsters back then.. Today's BMW S1000RR, or ZX-10R, or Panigale are just light years faster than the 1000cc bikes from the 90's.

2011 Motorsports Color BMW S1000RR; Full Akrapovic EVO Ti system with PCV and Dan Kyle map, BMC race filter. 192 RWHP. Pazzo shorties, BMW tank protector.

2011 Triumph Daytona 675R; carbon tank protector, R&G sliders..

2009 Tornado Red. 2009 Arrows Slip-on, High-Octane Triumph tune, Carbon Fiber heat shield, Pazzo shorties black/red, Stompgrips, Triumph Carbon Tank protector.
post #23 of 38 Old 04-19-13, 19:54
David

I have been riding and racing since I was 5 years old. That was back in year 1976...augh. I have seen it all and done most all- for better and worse. One thing I never get tired of is helping new riders learn. This post is a good one and I will send out the link many times over I am sure. While I take issue with some fine print, I enjoyed reading it myself. A job well done and thank you for posting!

post #24 of 38 Old 02-03-14, 19:49
Rammstein675

Garage
I think dirt bike experience helps u out when thinks start to go bad, like traction loss cuz in the dirt u really never have great traction like on the street or track
post #25 of 38 Old 02-03-14, 21:21
Zaph

Ancient post brought back to life. But I haven't read it before so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly View Post
"I know your suppose to start small, but I have been riding dirt for years!"

Honestly that shit annoys the hell out of me, riding a dirt bike helps you NONE when it comes to riding a street bike.
This is the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard. I don't care if it's your opinion - Saying something dumb like that makes it easy to discredit the entire post. An experienced dirt rider comes to the street waaaay less likely to make a common newbie error. The worlds BEST riders started out in dirt.

There might be some good points in the wall of text. I don't know because I stopped reading when I saw that statement. Ok, I read some of it. It's 90% fluff that will insult the intelligence of most who will read it. The entire thing could be summarized like this:

Buy a bike small enough to learn on.
Take a learning course.
Wear protective gear.
Ride like you are invisible.
Check your equipment.

Could have saved a lot of typing by just posting a link to bestbeginnermotorcycles.com.
post #26 of 38 Old 02-03-14, 21:38
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

The problem here is,while dirt bike riding allows you to know a bike better it does not make you a good street rider.

A lot of people say they can start on a big bike because they have ridden dirt. So I think you misread or took what he was stating out of context.
I have met several guys that think a liter bike is a fine starter bike because they ride a 250cc dirt bike. If you think those are the same than you sir are the dumb one here.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #27 of 38 Old 02-03-14, 22:05
Zaph

No I'm not saying dirt riders should run out and get a liter bike. If I had my way we would have tiered licensing and all the Harley losers would be starting out on 125cc scooters.

I'm disagreeing with the OP's brain dead notion that "riding a dirt bike helps you NONE when it comes to riding a street bike". That is all. His words quoted exactly as typed for accuracy.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-03-14, 23:04
ssbfgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
No I'm not saying dirt riders should run out and get a liter bike. If I had my way we would have tiered licensing and all the Harley losers would be starting out on 125cc scooters.

I'm disagreeing with the OP's brain dead notion that "riding a dirt bike helps you NONE when it comes to riding a street bike". That is all. His words quoted exactly as typed for accuracy.
I agree with you, man. Except that whole Harley riders bit. That's an unfair generalization equal to me saying you're a wheel popping squid.

Nearly all paved motorsport professionals use the dirt for training/practice. To say it has no benefit is just an idiotic statement. What's even more idiotic is defending the o.p. who may be the shadiest member this forum has seen.
post #29 of 38 Old 02-03-14, 23:27
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Quote:

Ah ok, I get what you are saying and yes I disagree also. Dirt teaches you a lot especially bike control in weird situation.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #30 of 38 Old 04-18-14, 13:49
get_nick

Quote:
The entire thing could be summarized like this:

Buy a bike small enough to learn on.
Take a learning course.
Wear protective gear.
Ride like you are invisible.
Check your equipment.

Could have saved a lot of typing by just posting a link to bestbeginnermotorcycles.com.
Yep, back from the dead 2.0. I don't visit often, but want to put in my $.02.

This quote is the truth. Ride slow, take a class, and wear your gear. Best way to not kill yourself (and the hoe on the back riding with you).

And it's been mentioned before, but the usage of "your" and "to" makes me want to punch babies. You lose a lot of credibility with poor grammar. BUT...people who use the same shitty grammar are the most needing of this information. How's that for irony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement