**Bike Of The Month**January 2012** - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Bike of The Month (BOTM) BOTM discussions and winners

post #31 of 39 Old 08-03-14, 02:14
c_morse
BOTM Winner

Going to add in what I've done to this thread. Seems a simple enough way to continue with what I've already done.

I haven't exactly been that busy on the bike, but I've still been working on it to get it to a point where I can call it quits on tinkering and just enjoy it.

First thing first, I was tired of the dingy valve cover, so I decided to do something about it.

First things first, I stripped it to bare metal:

I spent some time taping it off:

First attempt with the VHT wrinkle paint didn't turn out well. Went just a touch too heavy with the coats:

So I stripped and taped it off again:

The second time I decided to apply the paint horizontally, and follow the directions to a T. It worked, paint laid beautifully:

After about an hour of sitting, the wrinkle magic began:

24 hours later, I baked the valve cover to make sure the paint was nice and cured prior to install:

Speaking of install:

Next, I pulled the old plugs which had never been gapped, and gapped and installed the new plugs:

Next on the list, I installed a set of Driven SAI blockoffs and re-installed the spark plug igniters and wiring:

Also while I was in there, I reset adaptation and sync'd the throttle bodies:

Finally, I cleaned and oiled the air filter and put the top end back together:

Finally, I did an oil change:

And the bike all back together:

I also recently moved to Virginia, and knew that the bike would need an inspection in order to be registered here. I'm not a fan of having stickers on the bike, so I had my machinist manufacture a mounting plate:

I took the plate and the spacers and painted them with epoxy paint:

The result looked awesome:

Finally, I installed it using the left side fender bolt holes. Nice and inconspicuous, and 100% removable:

I also received some goodies from The Retrofit Source, and an extra headlight to play with. Disassembly commenced:

I had my machinist manufacture me a set of brackets for Mini-H1 projectors:

After a lot of test fitting, trimming, sanding, prepping, and painting, the parts were finally ready to work together:

I got the projectors mounted with their shrouds in the new brackets, and set up the wiring for the high beam solenoids:

Then the projector assemblies found their way into the housing, and the high beam solenoids were connected to their new connectors:

One last quick test-fit of the trim pieces with the new projectors and shrouds:

Anyway, that's got me up to date. Can't wait to finish the headlight project, and I have a few other goodies up my sleeve too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-03-14, 11:42
jr2

I dig the housing project. Every time I see one going on it raises an eyebrow of mine. How does the powder coating work on the internal pieces? Aren't they plastic?
post #33 of 39 Old 08-03-14, 15:04
c_morse
BOTM Winner

That's all paint. No powder coating. Although I have seen plastic valve covers powder coated...

post #34 of 39 Old 08-03-14, 16:49
jr2

Ah ok. Going back and taking a look I should have realized it was paint. I was pretty confused for a moment if were to be powder coating. I have been on a kick lately to get a set up for it and a bit infatuated at the moment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Got a five dollar head? Get a five dollar helmet.
post #35 of 39 Old 08-03-14, 16:49
jr2

**Bike Of The Month**January 2012**

Looks great by the way! The silvery grey is kinda out of place there in the head light housing.

Edited to fix my late night fat fingering of my cell phone and shitty auto correct

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Got a five dollar head? Get a five dollar helmet.

Last edited by jr2; 08-03-14 at 18:51.
post #36 of 39 Old 08-03-14, 17:50
c_morse
BOTM Winner

Not sure I understand that last post.
post #37 of 39 Old 02-25-15, 15:37
c_morse
BOTM Winner

Just remembered that I never updated this thread after I finished the headlight project! Hopefully after this post, the color for the shrouds will make a bit more sense.

Anyway, picking up where I left off, I pulled the old light out of the bike and set to work installing and integrating the new wiring:

The lens on the old headlight was in better shape than the lens on the donor headlight, so I swapped them, and then added new sealant and taped up the light to cure:

After everything was cured up, I went ahead and mounted the light in the front fairing. Notice that the shrouds are pretty close to color-matched to the paint on the bike. It makes them stand out against the black background in the housing, too:

After that, I busted out the trusty Dremel and cut the appropriate holes to run the H1 wiring through:

Then I temporarily hooked up the light just to check functionality:

A picture outside in the light to show off the color a little better:

Next up I re-installed everything, then took the bike outside to check the lighting:

A couple dark pics in the garage:

And then a couple outside pics in the daytime:

Overall, I gained a lot more light output at night, along with the convenience of having dual high beams with no warm-up time when I switch over. I also made myself more visible to other traffic during the day.

This is a toned-down, "OEM Plus" style retrofit, but I think it fits the bike very well. I'm extremely happy with how this one turned out!
post #38 of 39 Old 03-12-15, 23:50
Ditch Doctor

Garage
I did the DDM tuning HID 35/ 55w... love it, have noticed a huge improvement at night.. had to tinker with the angle of the light, but once i got it right. DAMN!

i cut the holes in the headlight holder in the middle/ toward center of the bike for each side so i could mount the relay under the lights... then decided to mount to the sides... kinda a ***** cause now i have wires going all over the place and looks messy.. will clean it up

Would you have any suggestions on how to 'plug' or 'fill' the wholes from drilling to fit the HID bulb wires in... or know the part number for the headlight holder/ back plate thingy ( really dont know what to call it )
for 2008 Daytona

any feedback appreciated

That Others May Live
post #39 of 39 Old 03-14-15, 01:51
c_morse
BOTM Winner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement