Why the wristband on the braking fluid tank ? - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 21:33 Thread Starter
Smoke

Question Why the wristband on the braking fluid tank ?

As the title says, I'm wondering, and am not the only one. Only ever saw them on the front and not the rear tank, but there might be some cases.

Up to now, the explanations are :

- to soak up any leaks
- for fashion
- to avoid distracting the rider

As for the hump, it might well be a case of "all the above", but there might be some other explanation, and a clear first use from which all the rest trickled down. Track guys should probably know that...

The slower you move, the more dangerous your bike is... I'll let you work out the conclusion from there

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Hear my Daytona's Akrapovic SCREAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOlxMJ_zOw&t=1m15s

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 21:48
scorchin675

how can the fluid in the resivor distract you as your ride, thats my question?

if you are so easily entertained, that fluid going back and forth in the tank entertains you i think there is a more serious problem that needs to be addressed

heaven forbid that you ride by a river, lake or ocean

any way back to your question, i think its just for fashion if you will. idk if you have ever got brake fluid on anything or not but that stuff is pretty harsh and would probaly eat that sweat band up if it spilled on to it.

I close my eye and think of the subtle curves of her body, and my hands running along her; I feel her between my legs as if I just climbed on top of her; I can hear the sound she screams as I ride her hard; itís an intoxicating love that fills my body as I ride her; words can hardly describe my exuberant love for my 675.
Carpe Diem
post #3 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 21:57
qweesy

DING DING DING " to soak up any leaks" under HARD braking

DeAtH To ThE NeW WoRlD OrDeR

"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."- George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair)

post #4 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 22:03
scorchin675

Quote:
Originally Posted by qweesy View Post
DING DING DING " to soak up any leaks" under HARD braking
i have never had mine leak, but we were putting dot 4, i think, in one of my freinds cars, and just a little bit of that got onto his inner fender. It ate the sh!t out of his paint. not saying that your wrong or anything but if it could do that to paint, i cant see a sweat band holding up very well against it. just my thougths though, i dont know if there right or not.

I close my eye and think of the subtle curves of her body, and my hands running along her; I feel her between my legs as if I just climbed on top of her; I can hear the sound she screams as I ride her hard; itís an intoxicating love that fills my body as I ride her; words can hardly describe my exuberant love for my 675.
Carpe Diem
post #5 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 22:06
whirlybird

well if you are racing, the band will at least hold the fluid from dripping on the paint until you are done with the session. Then you just put a new one on. I really doubt that brake fluid could eat a wrist band in under 30 minutes
post #6 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 22:32
scorchin675

o okay, well i dont race, so i probaly never really come close to how hard you guys are breaking then, and good piont with the 30 minute thing, your probaly right.

i thougth that he was just talking about people that dont race and just have a sweat band over the tank, and that is probaly just for looks.

Carpe Diem
post #7 of 33 Old 12-10-09, 22:52
whirlybird

oh, sorry for just assuming there....but ya it was originally intended for racing purposes and was picked up by street riders. As far as I know, there is no benefit for street riding.
post #8 of 33 Old 12-11-09, 00:45
jtnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
- to avoid distracting the rider
is that why Triumph put the window facing away from the rider?

seriously though, I don't get why the window doesn't face the rider so it's easier to see
post #9 of 33 Old 12-11-09, 01:58 Thread Starter
Smoke
Threadstarter Threadstarter

As far as I know, there's no real pressure in the tank, whether braking hard or not, as the valve between it and the braling lines is one-way, hence no real risk of a leak. Oil leaks would be far more dangerous and I don't see wristbands around our oil pans.

I thought a rider might get distracted trying to gauge if enough fluid remains in the tank, especially if he feels the brakes becoming spongy, but that explanation doesn't seem satisfactory either. I always heard there were no speedometers on racing vehicles to avoid having pilots watch them too much.

I agree that most street riders use it for fashion and don't know what it's about, let's not become some of them

The slower you move, the more dangerous your bike is... I'll let you work out the conclusion from there

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Hear my Daytona's Akrapovic SCREAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOlxMJ_zOw&t=1m15s

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35
post #10 of 33 Old 12-11-09, 02:17
chuxter

Garage
Lightbulb Urban Myth?

I was told by several different riders that a cover is to help prevent the fluid from breaking down due to exposure to sunlight.

2008 Daytona 675,... the dolphin in my swimming pool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement