How many riders carry their medical information when riding? - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Polls 675/motorcycle polls

View Poll Results: How many riders carry their medical information when riding?
All the time, in my wallet or on my person. 48 38.10%
Never 14 11.11%
That's a good idea, I should start 61 48.41%
I'll take my chances 3 2.38%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

post #31 of 81 Old 10-17-14, 10:12
Decipher

I've been a Paramedic on a very busy department for over 12 years now. I can tell you...unless it's on your person, i.e. around your neck or your wrist, I won't see it. I will not take the time to dig through your wallet or your jacket pockets. There's a chance the police officers on scene may find it, but by then you are either on your way to the hospital already or being loaded into a helicopter. Those are the only two ways to assure I will see your info.

When you print your info, keep it simple and organized. I don't have time to read through a bunch of irrelevant details. Leave your emergency contacts as the last thing written. If I start to look it over, provided I have time, and it starts with emergency contacts, I'm likely to throw it aside in the interest of patient care. Understand, I am moving a mile a minute and will only give your documents about 5 seconds to determine if it's going to aid me in my treatment or not. So, seeing medical info first will allow me to keep reading as I know it's pertienent.

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 10-17-14, 14:28
NefRider

Garage
How many riders carry their medical information when riding?

Good info! I need to rethink where I place my info.

09 ST3R

09 ST3R

Last edited by NefRider; 10-17-14 at 14:53.
post #33 of 81 Old 10-17-14, 21:19
Ditch Doctor

Garage
Frostbite01, Thank you for your service!

Decipher, great follow up. Mile a minute... are you only going 60mph?

That Others May Live

post #34 of 81 Old 10-20-14, 22:30
Get Squirly

I also use a Road ID. I use it for running and cycling as well.

It is a small, light bracelet (just like the 'Livestrong' bracelets) with emergency contacts and phone numbers, blood type, and address.

I think mine was about $20. Well worth it!!!

Mac
2011 D675 Caspian Blue
post #35 of 81 Old 03-02-15, 15:55
-MaDCoW

I'm a racer, so they already have all of my information.
post #36 of 81 Old 04-07-15, 13:35
snowy513

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple grrr View Post
Just make sure whatever you carry, it is marked clearly with "ICE" which will indicate to any well trained medical technician that it is important. It stands for "In Case of Emergency."
Thank you for this advice. I will have to put my ICE info together and clearly label it. I didn't know about this acronym but it sounds like a great idea.

Now to figure out what blood type I am ...
post #37 of 81 Old 04-07-15, 21:13
Decipher

ANY emergency medical agency that administers blood carries O- blood so it can be given to all blood types. Figuring out your blood type and Rh factor can be determined at a hospital in short order. It's good info, but not the most critical. Give me:

1. Weight
2. Medical History
3. Medications You Are Taking
4. Medication Allergies ONLY. I don't care if you're allergic to Thai food or pollen.
5. AGE, DOB, Name, Address (in this order. I really only need the first two immediately)

6. ICE Information, IN ORDER of who you want contacted. If your mom is spastic, don't list her first.

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R

Last edited by Decipher; 04-07-15 at 21:35. Reason: DUH
The Following User Says Thank You to Decipher For This Useful Post:
snowy513 (04-07-15)
post #38 of 81 Old 04-07-15, 21:14
Decipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch Doctor View Post
Frostbite01, Thank you for your service!

Decipher, great follow up. Mile a minute... are you only going 60mph?
Delayed "Haha," but I just saw this. Nah, we usually go a wee bit quicker than 60.

2012 Street Triple R
post #39 of 81 Old 04-07-15, 21:27
snowy513

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
Give me:

1. Age
1. Medical History
2. Medications You Are Taking
3. Medication Allergies ONLY. I don't care if you're allergic to Thai food or pollen.
4. AGE, DOB, Name, Address (in this order. I really only need the first two immediately)

5. ICE Information, IN ORDER of who you want contacted. If your mom is spastic, don't list her first.
Medical history? Like what, only major stuff like diabetes or something right? I'm actually surprised at this list. I would have thought blood type was the most important, and that things like age could have been ballparked and would be less significant.
post #40 of 81 Old 04-07-15, 21:34
Decipher

I actually modified my list to add "weight" as the first option. I posted it without re-reading my order of items. This is more accurate. Blood type is important but, from an emergency standpoint, blood type carried is O- so your type is irrelevant until a little down the road. From a Paramedic's standpoint, my list is the most critical of the information I am looking for. Again, blood type is important but it doesn't make my list or the flight crew's list. The hospital can assess the info when you get there but, despite what your card says, they legally have to check your type anyways before they administer blood.

As far as medical history, yes; I need to know if you have any cardiac problems, Diabetes, HTN, CAD, cancer, seizures or anything pertinent. Yes, any behavioral history is also important, including depression, schizophrenia, or just plain bat shit crazy.

2012 Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement