Strange issue - need help - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-19, 21:21 Thread Starter
Juncura11

Strange issue - need help

Good evening everyone!

I haven't been on here since I sold my Daytona, but I'm working on a 2015 S3 and need a little help.

Here's the story:

Owner was riding up in the foot hills of Denver when the bike seemed low on power. He pushed on and then heard what he described as a loud cam chain noise, but lower in tone like a spun bearing. He pulled off the road and shut it off. After waiting a bit he tried to start it, heard the same noise with a rough idle, and then it died. He reported that he then waited another 20min and started it again. He said that the noise wasn't there but it was almost as if it was running on 2 cylinders. He got it back to his place, drained the oil, and then brought it to me. I put more oil in and started it up... It's running great!

Here's what I've done so far:
Checked the oil for flakes or a metallic sheen. Oil looks okay
No codes
No excessive wear on the timing chain. I'm going to stretch test it.
No excessive wear on the cam journals so I doubt there's a problem with starvation
No rattles, no knocks.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Juncura11; 08-20-19 at 15:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-19, 21:36
beau

Garage
Was the gas tank low?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-19, 07:54
Chirp

I take it you mean running on two cylinders. Maybe it was and the imbalance caused the noise. Or ingested something that got past the air filter. Or could the sound have been a pre-ignition knock? I'd look at a fuel or ignition issue.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS

post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-19, 12:38
riversbikes

That's the worst type of issue -- engine makes sounds that indicate a terminal problem, and then... it's fixed!? I'd be interested in seeing the oil when it first drained out.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-19, 15:53 Thread Starter
Juncura11
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Yep, I meant 2 cylinders. Not sure what I was thinking about when I typed that. I found a lot of dirt/debris in the intake ports... almost like he was running without a filter. I'm now wondering if one of the valves stuck open momentarily or if the relief valve in the oil pump didn't fully close. At this point I'm putting it back together as he's not wanting me to inspect the rod bearings and I don't blame him. Not to mention that it's been in the upper 90's here and he was hammering it in the heat and at high altitude. Maybe the ol' girl just wanted a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement