Fuel pressure regulator mod (08 675) - Triumph675.Net Forums
Modifications Please select the appropriate Sub-forum for your post or thread

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-19, 02:27 Thread Starter
Dubbs801

Fuel pressure regulator mod (08 675)

Ok so I've been having issues with my fuel pump not priming or turning on. I've tried everything from new ECU's, wiring harnesses, relays and fuses. I'm taking it to the dealer one last time to see if they can diagnose the issue but if they can't I think I have a plan that might work, but I'm not really sure. So if I got a Holley fuel pressure regulator with a return line part number 12-846 and bypassed my fuel line into that and made the return line go back into the tank, would that work? I can set the fuel pressure to spec. I would need to connect the fuel pump directly into the battery and have a kill switch on it for when the bike isn't running or tap into another source of power. Would this work or would I have issues with something and how safe would this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-19, 17:05
kman0066

Assuming you got everything wired up and plumbed correctly, there's nothing theoretically stopping you from doing that. The fuel pump should be self-regulating or the regulator is in the stock line (I forget which on this bike) setup though, so if you were to bypass the power, it would just need a straight 12V to the pump, you don't need an external pressure regulator at all. It's not going to be regulated by voltage. The worry I would have is what is causing the fuel to not prime/run could also be preventing the ignition and other things from running in the ECU. For instance, I found my Triumph Daytona (an early 2013 (11-12 type) model) came with a 2008 dash installed as the previous owner tried to get it working with that. Triumph has a communication setup between the ECU and the dash, and if the dash doesn't match the ECU range, it won't turn the pump on, and it wouldn't start anyways, even if the pump were running. Solved that one by finding a 2011 dash on Ebay. Not saying that's your problem, but more to the point is that powering the fuel pump wouldn't have done me any good.

Is it that there is no power going to the pump?

Kickstand switch good?
Tip-over sensor good?
Wrong/Broken dash or not-connected with the K-Line wire? (throws a code if this is occurring)
Non-Immobilizer model (i.e. USA model) - Is the grounding block installed on the wiring harness under the seat
Immobilizer equipped model - Is the key/ignition damaged and the bike not recognizing the key?
First power-on? My bike seems to take some time to "Boot-up" after each time I plug in the battery. Takes a reset or two.
Battery has 12+V?
Is anything getting power? Make sure it has a good regulator/rectifier.
Are there any codes being thrown? Just need a generic ODB2 reader to find out.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-19, 21:03 Thread Starter
Dubbs801
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I've checked all the voltage on all the relays and everything has power except for the connection that give power to the fuel pump. I have a new regulator and a new stator. The bike has spark as well. Also if i just connect the fuel pump to the battery and didnt put a fuel pressure regulator on it would it make it run rich?

post #4 of 5 Old 04-05-19, 10:30
kman0066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbs801 View Post
I've checked all the voltage on all the relays and everything has power except for the connection that give power to the fuel pump. I have a new regulator and a new stator. The bike has spark as well. Also if i just connect the fuel pump to the battery and didnt put a fuel pressure regulator on it would it make it run rich?
Nope, the voltage isn't regulated externally to provide the proper fuel pressure. The bike (if running correctly), supplies the fuel pump with 12V constant power once it's running, the pump internals and/or a regulator built into the rail is what controls pressure. So powering the pump with a straight 12V will provide the proper fuel pressure. The only big concern I think is that by doing that, you're bypassing all of the safety-shut-offs that would normally kill the fuel pump in the right circumstances. For instance, if you crash, the fuel pump will be sitting there running, trying to keep pumping fuel until you go shut it off.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-19, 23:49 Thread Starter
Dubbs801
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Yah I hear yah it's hasnt been running for 6 months and I've dropped like 1200 into it and I'm getting desperate Haha but I ended up wiring it straight to the battery and added a cut off switch and she fired right up and drives perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement