Tank Slider Recommendations - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Modifications Please select the appropriate Sub-forum for your post or thread

View Poll Results: What tank slider would you recommend?
R & G 3 60.00%
Moto Composites 0 0%
Moto-D 0 0%
Carbon 2 Race 1 20.00%
Other 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 20 Old 05-23-18, 17:09
mpusch

I've used the tank sliders from NJ Custom (appears he's been off the grid for a while though...). Unfortunately, I've also had the displeasure of crash testing them as well. Here's a quote of myself from the tank sliders thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpusch View Post
Well...I crash tested these!

Around a 50+ mph highside...Some scrapes and such to the slider, but it held together very well and most importantly - protected the gas tank from any damage. Can't say for certain, but with some of the damage I had to that side of the tank already from sliding, this might have finished the tank off without the protection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 05-24-18, 08:48 Thread Starter
benp
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Glad to see they seem to work well! Bummer you got to try them out. I'm probably leaning towards R&G as the word seems to be that NJ Custom isn't around here anymore.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-24-18, 09:15
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Glad to see they seem to work well! Bummer you got to try them out. I'm probably leaning towards R&G as the word seems to be that NJ Custom isn't around here anymore.
I also suggest R&G front and rear axle sliders. As mentioned above, axle sliders can take a beating without damaging the swingarm. I would use woodcraft but I don't think they make front and rear slider sets for this bike.

post #14 of 20 Old 04-14-19, 12:05
SKmotomn

Garage
This seems like an appropriate thread to ask a question even though its kinda old. I recently purchased a Ď13 Daytona for track days. Iím new to the Daytona and track days and Iím thinking about protection. One question I had is the likelyhood of the tank sliders protecting the tank in the event of a fall rather than other parts that are sticking out beyond the tank taking the brunt. It seems that question is kinda awnsered here. If anyone else has an opinion on tank sliders being worth it or not Iíd like to know. Right now I have none. Same with front and rear axle sliders. Worth it? Is it likely the swing arm and front forks getting expensive damage without them? Just for reference I currently have the engine/ body sliders installed.

Thanks!
post #15 of 20 Old 04-14-19, 16:27
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKmotomn View Post
This seems like an appropriate thread to ask a question even though its kinda old. I recently purchased a ‘13 Daytona for track days. I’m new to the Daytona and track days and I’m thinking about protection. One question I had is the likelyhood of the tank sliders protecting the tank in the event of a fall rather than other parts that are sticking out beyond the tank taking the brunt. It seems that question is kinda awnsered here. If anyone else has an opinion on tank sliders being worth it or not I’d like to know. Right now I have none. Same with front and rear axle sliders. Worth it? Is it likely the swing arm and front forks getting expensive damage without them? Just for reference I currently have the engine/ body sliders installed.

Thanks!
Definitely worth it. If woodcraft has axle sliders use those. Cheapest to replace. R&G has good sliders for tank, rear cowl, front and rear axles and GB engine covers are good.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-16-19, 00:39
SKmotomn

Garage
Thanks! I have Stomp grips and it looks like they will get in the way of R&G tank sliders. I know this is a common pair to have. Whatís common for people to do, peel back and install the slider under the stomp grips or cut them around the sliders?
post #17 of 20 Old 04-16-19, 19:39
Kevin7909

Quote:
Thanks! I have Stomp grips and it looks like they will get in the way of R&G tank sliders. I know this is a common pair to have. What’s common for people to do, peel back and install the slider under the stomp grips or cut them around the sliders?
I do not use stomp grips but if they interfere at all (which I doubt will happen), as you suggested I'd move em down slightly or cut that very small area, whichever worked with less effort.

I use techspec xline which feels pretty much like glue without wearing out my leathers and it's not close to the tank sliders (I have the tank lock version which wraps the entire tank).
post #18 of 20 Old 04-17-19, 00:11 Thread Starter
benp
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
My R&G tank sliders definitely interfered with my Stompgrips. As I had already installed the tank sliders, I just partially installed the Stompgrips (starting at the rear of the bike and tacking them down as far forward as I could) and then trimmed them to fit around the sliders before actually adhering them all the way to the tank. You may be able to reposition the Stompgrips to avoid the slider, but they seem to be very deliberately cut to fit the naked tank (sans sliders). I'll see if I can get a picture up in the near future.

2011 Triumph Daytona 675R
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850
post #19 of 20 Old 04-19-19, 00:48
SKmotomn

Garage
Thanks for the replyís.

Iíll beat you to it. I peeled back the grips to install the sliders. Then re-applied the grips. I didnít like how it looked and that it left a small gap around the top and bottom edge. I could have filled it with the sliders silicone but knew it wasnít going to be how I wanted it so I carefully took an exacto type knife and cut it. Looks much better now imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30736D39-61A4-4993-BD04-DB99CB228204.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	249315   Click image for larger version

Name:	991205AB-86C4-4EF6-9690-8B1DD4C3E6EA.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	249317   Click image for larger version

Name:	55909C0B-54D0-4DEA-973B-85AB6D7493BC.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	249319  

Last edited by SKmotomn; 04-19-19 at 00:54.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-19-19, 01:04
Kevin7909

Quote:
Thanks for the reply’s.

I’ll beat you to it. I peeled back the grips to install the sliders. Then re-applied the grips. I didn’t like how it looked and that it left a small gap around the top and bottom edge. I could have filled it with the sliders silicone but knew it wasn’t going to be how I wanted it so I carefully took an exacto type knife and cut it. Looks much better now imo.
Looks good. I didn't realize the stomp grips were that large. Much more surface area than techspecs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement