What tires and what pressure are you running? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

post #1 of 17 Old 04-17-18, 00:59 Thread Starter
sLowCL9

What tires and what pressure are you running?

So if you’re anything like me, you like to experiment with it all, tires included! I’m a track enthusiast, but by no means a racer. Unfortunately, I crashed last season on my first day out for the season, so needless to say, my season ended. Since the season is returning, I figure this may be a decent thread for everyone to share their experiences with all and I think it’ll be extremely helpful for first or future first-timers especially. My first time out, I went by myself and was using pilot road 3’s because somebody told me “for your first time, these tires should be fine and still keep you riding on the street for a while.” I didn’t crash and they held up nicely, and I ran those for 10k miles! Don’t want to toot my own horn, but I dragged knee my first time out lol and then after a few more times out and bad tire decisions, I dragged my whole body. Also, I’ve heard different opinions from multiple A group riders about slicks. Some say they use their slicks all season until the dot is gone, some say they change them after every track day or two if it’s hot out, which would get expensive AF. This is a question for the seasoned track riders!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-17-18, 02:51
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLowCL9 View Post
So if you’re anything like me, you like to experiment with it all, tires included! I’m a track enthusiast, but by no means a racer. Unfortunately, I crashed last season on my first day out for the season, so needless to say, my season ended. Since the season is returning, I figure this may be a decent thread for everyone to share their experiences with all and I think it’ll be extremely helpful for first or future first-timers especially. My first time out, I went by myself and was using pilot road 3’s because somebody told me “for your first time, these tires should be fine and still keep you riding on the street for a while.” I didn’t crash and they held up nicely, and I ran those for 10k miles! Don’t want to toot my own horn, but I dragged knee my first time out lol and then after a few more times out and bad tire decisions, I dragged my whole body. Also, I’ve heard different opinions from multiple A group riders about slicks. Some say they use their slicks all season until the dot is gone, some say they change them after every track day or two if it’s hot out, which would get expensive AF. This is a question for the seasoned track riders!
What is your level? The following assumes you aren't advanced/expert/lvl3 whatever your track organization calls the fastest level.

If you have the budget I suggest pirelli diablo supercorsa sp v2 or sp v3 (v3 was just released). They will provide more than enough grip until you get to expert level (or whatever your track calls the most advanced level).

And since they are street tires they will handle much more heat cycles than slicks and cost less than pirelli slicks as well. They are the closest you can get to a race tire that is street legal that I know of.

You can run warmers on the sp but be sure the warmers are dual temp and run them on low temp because the sp are technically street tires and can't handle the heat that slicks are comfortable running at.

If your budget is tight then Q3 is another tire people like. I've never used them.

Remember though, no tire will make you magically a better rider or stop you from sliding down asphalt. Better tires for the conditions can help but usually grippier tires just make inexperienced riders crash while going faster because the tires can help to mask mistakes up to a faster pace than lesser tires.

Different tires and your pace and ambient temp will affect tire pressure. It's not set and forget. Tire pressures vary as the day progresses. You want to be sure your bike suspension is setup properly for your weight (arguably much more important than any specific tire) and as the day progresses talk to your tire or suspension guy at the track. They will give you advice and can look at the tires and tell you if you need to change the air pressure and by how much. They are the most important resource except for good instructors.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-17-18, 07:10
Plasmablaster

Garage
Tyres I've tried in my life:

Pirelli Diablo: OK tyre with limitations. Grips OK under normal riding conditions (cold) but has difficulties in trackdays.

Dunlop SportSmart: Hard carcass with good feedback. Very bad for normal riding, very low grip at everyday riding temperatures. Slid frequently and highsided once due to this reason. Good grip and predictability once well warmed-up.

Bridgestone S20: Very good grip, soft carcass. Lack a bit of feedback, somewhat abrupt loss of rear traction in powerslides. Never tried in track.

Metzeler M7RR: Excellent all rounder. Medium carcass and plenty of feedback. Grips well when cold - saved my skin once. Good feedback in track and adequate grip. Not a track-dedicated tyre of course so no stopwatch miracles. Best all-rounder by far: You'll have an excellent time in the track and still have good tyre for everyday riding that will not punish you in wet or cold conditions.

As I mostly do commuting and canyoning I'd try Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIIs but their circumference is larger than normal and they would come in contact with my front fender extender. So in the change that's due now, I'll stick with the Metzelers as I'm very happy with them.

Last edited by Plasmablaster; 04-17-18 at 07:17.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-17-18, 10:16 Thread Starter
sLowCL9
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7909 View Post
What is your level? The following assumes you aren't advanced/expert/lvl3 whatever your track organization calls the fastest level.

If you have the budget I suggest pirelli diablo supercorsa sp v2 or sp v3 (v3 was just released). They will provide more than enough grip until you get to expert level (or whatever your track calls the most advanced level).

And since they are street tires they will handle much more heat cycles than slicks and cost less than pirelli slicks as well. They are the closest you can get to a race tire that is street legal that I know of.

You can run warmers on the sp but be sure the warmers are dual temp and run them on low temp because the sp are technically street tires and can't handle the heat that slicks are comfortable running at.

If your budget is tight then Q3 is another tire people like. I've never used them.

Remember though, no tire will make you magically a better rider or stop you from sliding down asphalt. Better tires for the conditions can help but usually grippier tires just make inexperienced riders crash while going faster because the tires can help to mask mistakes up to a faster pace than lesser tires.

Different tires and your pace and ambient temp will affect tire pressure. It's not set and forget. Tire pressures vary as the day progresses. You want to be sure your bike suspension is setup properly for your weight (arguably much more important than any specific tire) and as the day progresses talk to your tire or suspension guy at the track. They will give you advice and can look at the tires and tell you if you need to change the air pressure and by how much. They are the most important resource except for good instructors.
Group layout is C,B,A going from beginner to advanced. I ride B group and actually do use SC’s. Due to cost, I started experimenting with tires that met my needs. I don’t ride on the street TOO much now, but I do the occasional ride with my friends so I’m returning to the SC once I make it back to the track. I actually have a set of Q3’s as well because after the spill, I wanted to try them out, but got a great deal on the SC’s so now trying to get rid of the Q3’s to give me a little extra cash for everything else I need to do (might just end up using them). I check my pressure after every session and always run a few laps before getting up to pace. I ALWAYS check pressure when HOT. I think this is especially good info for first-timers and even people like myself with a few handfuls of track days. I’ve had my suspension half tuned due to lack of weather the day I chose to do so. That led me to try some things myself, which led me to crashing lol although the crash was really due to bad tires. I was fighting them all day, no grip, and I was going to cut my day short, but when I said that out loud, I went down the next time out. I had three track days on Michelin 2CT’s and was actually running very good pace with them and they held up extremely nicely with the back to back I did (it was hot out). 2CT’s are definitely not track tires, nor are they meant to run multiple days on I’ve found lol
post #5 of 17 Old 04-17-18, 17:00
hzhong456

I would also suggest Pirelli Supercorsa SPs. I personally think that they are good enough to use up to rear pack Expert level track days. Then maybe move to SCs or slicks when you are finding that the tire is the limiting factor. Another great thing about the SPs is that you don't have to use warmers with them.

In my experience, Dunlop Q3's are good until you start upping your pace to around front pack intermediate levels. The edge grip is nowhere near the level of the Pirellis. Although, I have never tried the Q3+ nor do I ever intend to after my experience with the Q3's.

PSI is based on your track conditions and pace but for reference for the Q3's, I usually go with 28-30 hot rear and 32-34 hot front. I have tried going higher and lower with hot psi ranges but have found it made little difference in longevity or grip. They are street tires and they don't do well when they get too hot. I found that going any lower than 28 hot in the rear causes them to get too greasy on the edges of the tire.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-17-18, 17:14 Thread Starter
sLowCL9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzhong456 View Post
I would also suggest Pirelli Supercorsa SPs. I personally think that they are good enough to use up to rear pack Expert level track days. Then maybe move to SCs or slicks when you are finding that the tire is the limiting factor. Another great thing about the SPs is that you don't have to use warmers with them.

In my experience, Dunlop Q3's are good until you start upping your pace to around front pack intermediate levels. The edge grip is nowhere near the level of the Pirellis. Although, I have never tried the Q3+ nor do I ever intend to after my experience with the Q3's.

PSI is based on your track conditions and pace but for reference for the Q3's, I usually go with 28-30 hot rear and 32-34 hot front. I have tried going higher and lower with hot psi ranges but have found it made little difference in longevity or grip. They are street tires and they don't do well when they get too hot. I found that going any lower than 28 hot in the rear causes them to get too greasy on the edges of the tire.
That’s actually what I meant by SC is supercorsa’s, sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to try the Q3’s due to everybody saying great things! All of my tires, I’ve run 28 in the rear and 30 in the front hot. Only failed me once so far haha
post #7 of 17 Old 04-18-18, 01:03
hiimchad

Garage
I attached a list of recommended track tire pressures that I found a while ago on another forum. I usually run my tires 32 front/30 rear hot at 80-85 degree air temp at Chuckwalla. Iíll go up 1-2 psi in each tire if itís 95+ or down 1-2 if itís under 70.

I am a big proponent of the Q3. I am a front-pack B or rear-group A rider and the Q3s still work well for me. The rear will spin and the front will lock up a bit if Iím trying to keep up with guys on Supercorsas or slicks, but they get up to temp quickly, the edge grip is pretty good and the feedback is great. My next step will be GP-As.

I have never used Supercorsas but I have heard that theyíre all grip until there is none. The Q3 is not as sticky, but when it slides it does so progressively. From what Iíve heard, itís a lot easier to regain control of than the SCs. I havenít tried the Plus yet but will give those a shot next.

As others have said, stickier tires can mask mistakes and end up getting you into trouble down the road. I think Q3s are a good place for a new track rider to start because they offer good performance, but not too much as to prevent you from learning.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-18-18, 02:51 Thread Starter
sLowCL9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimchad View Post
I attached a list of recommended track tire pressures that I found a while ago on another forum. I usually run my tires 32 front/30 rear hot at 80-85 degree air temp at Chuckwalla. I’ll go up 1-2 psi in each tire if it’s 95+ or down 1-2 if it’s under 70.

I am a big proponent of the Q3. I am a front-pack B or rear-group A rider and the Q3s still work well for me. The rear will spin and the front will lock up a bit if I’m trying to keep up with guys on Supercorsas or slicks, but they get up to temp quickly, the edge grip is pretty good and the feedback is great. My next step will be GP-As.

I have never used Supercorsas but I have heard that they’re all grip until there is none. The Q3 is not as sticky, but when it slides it does so progressively. From what I’ve heard, it’s a lot easier to regain control of than the SCs. I haven’t tried the Plus yet but will give those a shot next.

As others have said, stickier tires can mask mistakes and end up getting you into trouble down the road. I think Q3s are a good place for a new track rider to start because they offer good performance, but not too much as to prevent you from learning.
Great info! Interesting that the chart provided have cold pressure recommendations, rather than hot since the temp will change as you ride and depending on the air and road temp. I’m surprised you haven’t tried supercorsa’s, it seems like everyone has tried both the Q3’s and supercorsa’s. I LOVE the supercorsa’s, but I always like to experiment with different manufacturers. I have both sets wrapped in packing blankets waiting to be put on, but this is making me want to try the Q3’s more and more.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-18-18, 06:09
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

I have Q3+ on mine right now. Haven't been to the track with them, but they feel better than Q3.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-18-18, 08:08
Chirp

Q3+, 32F, 28R hot.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement