Camping - Triumph675.Net Forums
Trip reports Been on tour? Tell everyone about it here. Old threads may later be moved to the regional forums.

post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-16, 23:58 Thread Starter
s.imani

Garage
Camping

Anyone do any camping with the Daytona675 ?

Here's some photos of my recent trip

2015 Daytona 675 a.k.a. Sia - Toronto, Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-11-16, 10:23
Plasmablaster

Garage
Ahhh I'm so jealous. The second epitome of motorcycling spirit. (The first one is trackdays and/or races of course). I used to do that a lot sometime ago but now the missus wants soft sheets and walls.

If you do that regularly I'd suggest getting side railings & bags. Improves handling A LOT - the height difference of the CoG position of all that heavy gear makes a world of difference. I bet when loaded-up like this the bike goes like a boat doesn't it?
post #3 of 13 Old 07-11-16, 20:50 Thread Starter
s.imani
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks @plaamablaster. Do you know of any one that actually makes specific sidebars and railings for this bike, or just the generic ones you're suggesting ?

FYI. That big bag in the bag is a 100Litre bag. I stuffed it, and it weighd about 55lbs when she all ready to be strapped down

2015 Daytona 675 a.k.a. Sia - Toronto, Ontario

post #4 of 13 Old 07-12-16, 20:47
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.imani View Post
Thanks @plaamablaster. Do you know of any one that actually makes specific sidebars and railings for this bike, or just the generic ones you're suggesting ?

FYI. That big bag in the bag is a 100Litre bag. I stuffed it, and it weighd about 55lbs when she all ready to be strapped down
I didn't make any distinction between bike- specific or generic ones. GIVI makes bike-specific railings for the ->'12 STR, I know because I've got them on my bike. Sorry if nobody makes any for the 13+ Daytona but you can make your own if you can weld - I made a pair for my SV650. You just need to spend a day or two cutting, bending, welding and painting. Alternatively you can have them made but I guess it's going to be expensive and you'll have to find someone willing to experiment a bit.

That's a lot of weight by the way. What did you pack in there? A woman perhaps?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-12-16, 21:17
kisertn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
That's a lot of weight by the way
But it weighs significantly less and sits lower than a pillion rider would. So, what's the issue really? Seems to me that the weight should be a non-issue. I also have a 60-liter tail bag, similar to the OP's and I had no issues on a long trip with about 35 pounds in it. It rode fine on my 675R.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-13-16, 07:17
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisertn View Post
But it weighs significantly less and sits lower than a pillion rider would. So, what's the issue really? Seems to me that the weight should be a non-issue. I also have a 60-liter tail bag, similar to the OP's and I had no issues on a long trip with about 35 pounds in it. It rode fine on my 675R.
If you can enjoy your bike this way, good for you and I envy you. I pretty much forget sporty riding pleasure with any significant weight placed on the pillion's seat. Change of direction characteristics change so much that I just don't enjoy it. Maybe it's because I only weigh 64 kilos, maybe not.

The issue of pillions affecting bike handling less than their weight would suggest has puzzled me too. It probably has to do with the pillion being flexible and not exerting rotation moment forces as high as rigidly-attached weights.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-13-16, 08:58
kisertn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
If you can enjoy your bike this way, good for you and I envy you. I pretty much forget sporty riding pleasure with any significant weight placed on the pillion's seat. Change of direction characteristics change so much that I just don't enjoy it. Maybe it's because I only weigh 64 kilos, maybe not.

The issue of pillions affecting bike handling less than their weight would suggest has puzzled me too. It probably has to do with the pillion being flexible and not exerting rotation moment forces as high as rigidly-attached weights.
Oh, I am in no way trying to say that such a weight has no impact on how the bike performs; absolutely it does. I guess I just wasn't thinking about a camping trip and 'sporty' in the same context. If you want a sporty ride, while camping, then a different solution would likely be needed. When I wore my weight I was just doing straight up/down riding until I reached my destinations and then pulled off the anchor and went riding without. Completely agree that such a weight will change things.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-13-16, 20:59
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisertn View Post
I guess I just wasn't thinking about a camping trip and 'sporty' in the same context. If you want a sporty ride, while camping, then a different solution would likely be needed.
Ah that explains it then. I wouldn't consider a long trip without some sort of at least "energised" riding that's why I took it for granted :)

Side bags (and less weight of course) improve things significantly because it's not the front-rear weight balance that creates the issue but the immense rotation inertia of the high-placed loads that affects left-right flicking. Side bags can reduce the effect to 50% or even less. If you go camping frequently it'd be definitely worth investing in bespoke railings, perhaps specially designed to easily mount the tent.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-28-16, 00:14
teajayng

Thanks for posting! I was thinking of doing something similar in the near future!
post #10 of 13 Old 07-28-16, 01:13
mark-up

Good to hear about another sportbike camper!

I motorcycle camped when I had my FZR600. I used a tank bag and throw-over saddle bags having tops that rose above the pillion perch. That created a channel where I could stack my tent, bedroll and bag in a north-south pyramid. My equipment was all backpacking stuff so it was small and light in weight. For various reasons, I had to get rid of my gear, so my recent trips have all been motel/hostel affairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement