Fork springs - Triumph675.Net Forums
Australia and Asia-Pacific AAP Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events

post #1 of 7 Old 07-07-16, 07:32 Thread Starter
bluedaytona02

Fork springs

Anyone have any stock fork springs kicking about...LOCALLY?
Also chasing 1.0 fork springs if they're available too.

Would prefer not to have to import them...
The stockers are to go in a friend's ER6 and the heavier ones are for me.

I'm in Melbourne but happy to pay postage.

Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-07-16, 09:44
-LG-

to broaden your search for fork springs. The following all share the same fork spring.

- 2003-2015 Kwaka ZX6R
- 1998-2001 Yamaha R1
- 2006-2016 Yamaha R6
- 1997-2002 Aprillia RS250
- 1999 Buell X1
- 2000-2001 Buell S3
- All Street Triple models
- All Daytona models except the R

Might make life easier if you need to resort to gumtree or ebay.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-16, 15:44
Plasmablaster

Garage
This is a very strange subject for me. I find the springs of my 2010 ST-R a tad too soft for my liking. I maxed out the preload but still the tie-wrap ring leaves very little travel after hard braking - and its not only that: the sensation I have when I break is of "weakness" in the front end. Looking into the matter, the Racetech database says they are (supposed to be) 0.9Kg/mm.

However: judging from my experience of some years ago having bought and installed racetech 0.9kg/mm springs in a similarly weighing (it's actually a tad heavier) SV650 I'd say that there's NO WAY the stock STR springs are 0.9kg/mm. I'd say they are closer to 0.83 - 0.85kg/mm.

Has anybody actually measured those springs on a bench? I have great curiosity regarding this matter.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-16, 20:54
-LG-

@Plasmablaster

The differences you feel in how the forks behave between your STR and SV could be attributed to the differences in geometry. The bikes may be similar in weight but Rake, Trail, Offset, and Wheelbase are different between the two bikes which would explain why the forks behave differently with the same rated spring fitted.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-16, 06:12
Plasmablaster

Garage
Yes, I considered that too but the SV with the shorter GSXR front I have installed is almost identical to the STR as far as rake is concerned - even if it were stock the difference in rake is about a degree and the difference in the vectors because of that translates to a factor of about 0.98 (did the calculations), negligible.

Regarding offset, I believe it has very little to do with dive under braking - changing it obviously changes the weight balance (a little) but on completely different bikes there is no point in discussing it.

The only factor that could really make a difference would be weight distribution and it would need the STR to be more front-heavy. Well actually it is but for just a little, and the weight deficit probably cancels that out.

So given the significant difference in feel (and suspension travel under braking) I still believe that either the GSXR springs they sent me were actually more than 0.90mm/kg or the particular springs installed in my bike were from a "weak" batch or the database info on the STR is wrong or a combination of some/all of the above.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-16, 06:55
-LG-

@Plasmablaster

It certainly sounds like you may have a springs from a dodgy batch or were sent the wrong ones.

I've never felt the front end of a STR before but can tell you that even the Daytona is wayyyyy soft. I'm currently running 1.1 Springs in my forks on an 08 D675. I was very close to bottoming out the standard 0.9's on track. I'm also a big fella, hence the need for 1.1's.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-16, 12:35
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -LG- View Post
@Plasmablaster

It certainly sounds like you may have a springs from a dodgy batch or were sent the wrong ones.

I've never felt the front end of a STR before but can tell you that even the Daytona is wayyyyy soft. I'm currently running 1.1 Springs in my forks on an 08 D675. I was very close to bottoming out the standard 0.9's on track. I'm also a big fella, hence the need for 1.1's.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I was thinking of getting 0.9s from racetech hoping it would remedy the weak supposedly identical stock ones but seeing you went to 1.1 I think I'd better go to 0.95 (I'm 68Kg in gear)
The Following User Says Thank You to Plasmablaster For This Useful Post:
-LG- (07-08-16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement