buchshot1

So lets talk about brake pads

Curious about what yall run on track and why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-01-14, 15:13
ricracer16

Garage
Why wasn't Vesrah on that list? Anyway, used EBC's and they suck. I used them on my SV650 and they felt like wood and I recently used them on my new to me Daytona 675 and they felt like petrified wood. I swapped to Vesrah pads and have never looked back, until I rode my 675. My buddy swears by Cl's so they are on my list for next years track days season.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-01-14, 16:21
easbaysav

I'm running Vesrah RJLs on my D675R, but also running Brembo HP rotors. That combination with the R setup is amazing and highly noticeable compared to stock.

On my R6, I'm running Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads with BrakeTech Axis Iron rotors, Brembo 19RCS, and Galfer SS brake lines. I thought this setup was better than the OEM D675R setup, but now the new setup on my Daytona bites harder.

There's a racer on the R6 forum that runs EBC pads and says that all you really need on the R6 is EBC pads and SS brake lines; all the other upgrades (master cylinder, calipers, rotors) is unnecessary. He's knowledgeable, fast, and has a great reputation on there. After reading a number of his posts, I've decided I'm going to downgrade some of the stuff on my R6 and see how I progress on the track.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-03-14, 08:26 Thread Starter
buchshot1
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I knew I was forgeting something
post #5 of 23 Old 10-03-14, 09:47
swest122

Quote:
Originally Posted by easbaysav View Post
I'm running Vesrah RJLs on my D675R, but also running Brembo HP rotors. That combination with the R setup is amazing and highly noticeable compared to stock.

On my R6, I'm running Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads with BrakeTech Axis Iron rotors, Brembo 19RCS, and Galfer SS brake lines. I thought this setup was better than the OEM D675R setup, but now the new setup on my Daytona bites harder.

There's a racer on the R6 forum that runs EBC pads and says that all you really need on the R6 is EBC pads and SS brake lines; all the other upgrades (master cylinder, calipers, rotors) is unnecessary. He's knowledgeable, fast, and has a great reputation on there. After reading a number of his posts, I've decided I'm going to downgrade some of the stuff on my R6 and see how I progress on the track.
You referring to Melka? I run EBC EPFAs on my R6 with everything else stock. They work very well, felt good, and lasted forever. I ran one set of pads for a whole year. On the Triumph, I still have the stock pads and have raced it with no problems.

Sloan West
CCS#112
Wera#112
post #6 of 23 Old 10-03-14, 10:24
whirlybird

I was using Ferodo pads and they were good. A lot better than stock. TJ from Rider's Discount recently advised me to try the Vesrah pads. I'm really glad I did. They work better than anything else I've had on it. I had a significant drop in laptimes afterward.

MRA #144

2017 MRA Thunderbike Class Champion

Sponsors:
XL3 Rigging, Rider's Discount, Imperial Sportbikes, Un!nk Printworks

2015 Triumph D675
post #7 of 23 Old 10-03-14, 16:02
easbaysav

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest122 View Post
You referring to Melka? I run EBC EPFAs on my R6 with everything else stock. They work very well, felt good, and lasted forever. I ran one set of pads for a whole year. On the Triumph, I still have the stock pads and have raced it with no problems.

Yessir, you called it.

post #8 of 23 Old 10-04-14, 21:20
5axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest122 View Post
Another vote for EPFAs.
I like a bit of feel Vs crazy initial bite of GPFAX pads

WERA EX 917 aka North Central grid filler

http://www.woodstock-triumph.com/
post #9 of 23 Old 10-05-14, 21:03
Neanderthal

Garage
I just reach down and grab the rotor with my hand. Great feel and no wear on the rotor.

lol..... My bad guys - I voted before reading the responses, didn't notice the thread was directed for "track". SBS Street Excel user.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-05-14, 22:12
Zaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricracer16 View Post
Anyway, used EBC's and they suck.
I was just discussing EBC brake pads on another forum, you can't just say EBC pads suck without differentiating which ones. there are 3 different types of HH pads, some good, some not:

Base model HH or just known as Double-H: These are considered OEM replacement pads for street. They are not very good for high speed tracks. These might be ok at little curvy tracks, but they will fade and/or warp at tracks with long straights. People who say EBC pads suck were likely talking about this version.

EPFA, also known as Extreme Pro: EBC considers these trackday pads, and they are excellent for high speed tracks. This is a fade resistant progressive style of pad. Meaning initial bite is not high but the braking force is more easily modulated by lever pressure.

GPFA: These are pure roadrace pads with very high initial bite and no fade. You have to be careful with these, as they require a gentle touch and generally one finger is all you need. The same lever force as the stock pads will send you over the bars with these. The model number starts with GP and they come with a yellow warning sticker, but they still say "Extreme Pro" on the package.

These are all HH pads, which is where the confusion comes in. The GP versions are EBC's top of the line racing creation but to be honest, very few people use them, including pro racers. Most racers and track day riders (myself included) prefer the EP Extreme Pro pads. They are generally easier to brake to the edge of traction and hold it there, due to a wider range of lever pressure offering easier control.

Warning: these suck:

But either of these are much better, and which one is preferred will depend on how much lever pressure and initial bite you like.

Just wanted to make sure that was straight.

Last edited by Zaph; 01-10-15 at 11:34.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zaph For This Useful Post:
AussieAdam (10-05-14), Dave K (10-28-14), MacBandit (10-05-14), mszilves (10-06-14), SpaceCaptain (09-05-17), Torchsport (10-06-14)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement