6 states, 4 days, about 1600 miles - Triumph675.Net Forums
Trip reports Been on tour? Tell everyone about it here. Old threads may later be moved to the regional forums.

post #1 of 13 Old 05-22-14, 11:39 Thread Starter
Trevdawg

6 states, 4 days, about 1600 miles

Well i have never done this before but this is the place to talk about it.

Me and a group of people will all be riding sport bikes for this trip. My friends have been doing it every year since 2003. Some years they have 6 people go and i think the most that ever went at once was 30.
This time there is going to be 12 to 15 of us, only a couple people have never done this before.

This is the plan, my friends know the roads to take. Last year they got home with just over 1,600 miles. We are planning on this, if not a little more.

Friday - 5/23
leave from Chicago and meet in Louisville, Kentucky
group leaving at 1pm and a second group leaving at 5pm
hotel

Saturday - 5/24
Leave Kentucky and hit up Deals gap
we will ride the tail of the dragon, cherohala, and im not sure
what else
hotel in Cherokee, N.C.

Sunday - 5/25
ride up north to West Virgina
hit up some roads
hotel in Huntington, W.V.

Monday - 5/26
ride back to Chicago
some people take back roads half the way then freeway
other people go straight from hotel, take the freeway the whole time

I bought a throttle locker, got a gel seat but don't like it so i will be riding on the stock seat. I know that is going to bite me in the a$$ on monday too. im on a 675r.

PICTURES ON PAGE 2

Last edited by Trevdawg; 07-12-14 at 19:17. Reason: edit
The Following User Says Thank You to Trevdawg For This Useful Post:
ododicssork (05-28-14)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-22-14, 12:54
Decipher

I've done something similar before, but from Colorado to Illinois. It's an adventure but be prepared to get stiff. I learned a few things on my trip.

1. That stock seat will make you hate life. Maybe try to break the gel seat in a little more. You can also get the bicycle shorts with the gel padding. You're going to want something. If your ass is killing you, it's going to make the trip miserable.

2. The throttle lock is a life saver. Good move. I had one on mine and it made all the difference.

3. Make sure you have good tunes loaded up or Pandora playing. The miles get daunting without a little entertainment.

4. Bring hearing protection. The tunes can even get old and sometimes you just want to hear the bike. The wind noise over a long period of time is enough to make you go deaf.

5. Get a tank bag or something to lay on. My chest actually started to get soar from laying on the tank for so long. A bag or something to lean on would have been awesome.

6. Take a break EVERY hour. Even if it's for 10 minutes. Get off the bike if you can. It makes a difference in both enjoyment and comfort.

7. Cops are rarely sitting alone on the expressway. As a rule of thumb, I'd back off if I saw a cop for about three miles. Sure as shit, there was always another one sitting in close proximity to the other.

Have a blast! It sounds like an epic trip. I know you're in a group so the group-mentality way of thinking comes into play. Don't override your attention level. Road trips can be daunting on the bike and you can become numb to the speed and dangers if you get mentally exhausted.

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R
post #3 of 13 Old 05-22-14, 13:55
Cutter

Post up pics!

post #4 of 13 Old 05-23-14, 01:18
Hokie

Doesn't look like too terrible of a trip. I've done a few similar.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-24-14, 09:32
Neo675

Garage
I've done similar trips. It is do-able and not too bad. I agree with every word Decipher said!

Lifesavers for me:
  • Throttle Lock (GoCruise works nice)
  • Gel Seat (Saddlemen is a butt saver. It 1 w/stock and 1 w/gel. Go GEL)
  • Tank Bag (clothes make a comfy pillow)
  • Ear protection (and tunes)
  • Be prepared to lock throttle and sit up at the back towards of the seat to relax some on straights

I have my phone on a Ram mount on my triple clamp running GPS and bluetooth tunes to my bluetooth earphones. Then you are not trying to dig through a coat pocket to adjust, just right in front of you on the highways or straights.

Have fun. Sounds like a great time!

It's not a "Rice-Burner". It's British. It's a "Fish-n-Chips Burner"!
post #6 of 13 Old 05-29-14, 11:03 Thread Starter
Trevdawg
Threadstarter Threadstarter

6 states, 4 days, about 1600 miles

Welll i made it!! Just under 1800 miles and well worth the ride.
I was the only triumph.
this will be a long response, and i will have to upload pics this weekend.

Friday i left work early to meet with 9 other people. We left the chicago area just a little after 1pm. That was about a 5 hr ride with stopping for gas. We mainly took rt 65 south.

Saturday, started nice and early, stands up by 8. There were 16 of us total. just after a half hour or so of riding one person ran into problems, gsxr 750. His over flow melted and was leaking anitfreeze on the exhaust, bellypan, and rear tire. he had a home made over flow, it was an onsite fix from the same trip last year. He never actually fixed it. the anitfreeze looked like it had oil mixed in it too!! Headgasket problems!! so that cut his trip short and he went back to town, someone from IL came to pick him up.
So now we were down to 15 people. We started to hit up back roads, and immediately you were able to tell the more advanced riders, to intermediate, to beginners. After a few curvy roads, and about 2 hours later we had a crash. Some of us up front were at a gas station/main road and waiting for the rest of the group. After a while and no one was coming, we knew there was a problem.
I guess this guy wasn't getting off the bike for turns, more stying straight and tilting the bike. But he bumped a guard rail and pulled away from it, and target fixated and low sided. So now you have a person down and the bike in the rest of the lane, the person behind him was to close and had 2 choices. Run over the person or the bike, and he went for the bike. He flipped...
about an hour goes by and they were able to ride due to quick onsite repairs.
first guy that went down, bent his rotor, so they took off that one and he was able to ride atleast with one rotor. peg broke, used passenger peg up front for gear shifter. walked away no problem.
second guy, high beam headlight/fearing/mirror broke off, and peg. we think he fractured his finger, and definately bashed/bruised his knee. limped away. one of our riders is a nurse in the ER, so she was able to help them right away, and had drugs to give them (right away and at end of day at hotel). All 15 of us regrouped for lunch.
1st guy that low sided was scared now, and decided to ride home. Second guy just wanted to go right to hotel, and avoid back roads but keep going.

12 of us left and hit up the dragons tail/ deals gap, rt 28, and other roads. we ended at cherokee, north carolina. 3 other people and me got seperated from the group and were first to the hotel, just a little after 7pm. half hour later the other 8 arrived. Surprisingly enough the guy that flipped his bike just got to the hotel around 8. Someone road with him and they hit up all the roads we did but just a little bit slower. Champ!!

Sunday, stands up at 8am. There were 12 of us and we immediately hit up blue ridge moutain. Great roads and it was empty! good way to start the morning. we also went on rt 209, "the rattler", that was good too.
we hooked around through tennessee, kentucky, virgina and then finally, west virgina. No major issues, and people were giving advice to the people at the back of the group and you can tell how they progressed because we didn't have to wait as long for them. we arrived at the hotel around 8pm and all ready to relax. We went to a habichi place across the street, i guess it is tradition to go there.

Monday, stands were up by 7. It didn't help that i was up till midnight. A roommate came in and said i had 20 minutes to get ready or i was going solo. I dressed, packed, and was ready to go by 7... hung over.
we stopped for gas about an hour later, and a bike had run into problems. A rectifier on a 600rr....
everyone looked at me and said they have had problems with this on Tirumphs usually on past rides. I just smiled and side, this it newer, i am all good.
so i ate and drank something and sobered up while we waited. They switched batteries from another 600, and disconnected her headlights, and push started it. We hit up some curvy, newly paved roads. We got to Indianapolis and stopped to eat. Some people took different back roads home but most of us stayed together and took 65 back.
This is when the stock seat really started to get uncomfortable. There was traffic but it was moving, never stopped. It was more because a semi-truck was trying to pass another semi-truck. Then we were behind an ambulance for a couple miles. That was great, it was like all the cars were moving for us.
we were down to 9 people and stopped in merrillville, IN for gas/food. and you can see a storm coming. some people left and cannonballed it home because they were north of the city. Others live in the city and hurried home. Me and one other person flew on i80 and 355 north. You were able to see the storm behind us. We even got a light mist of rain for a few minutes and you could see how some of the roads were wet.
but i got in the garage at 5:50 on monday and at 6:30 it was down pouring. I was releaved and glad it was over!!!

already look forward to doing it in the fall or again next year.

Last edited by Trevdawg; 05-29-14 at 15:26.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-29-14, 11:13 Thread Starter
Trevdawg

as i said in the first post, i sent the gel back so i was on stock.

the throttle lock seemed hit or miss. sometimes the bike would slowly decrease speed. Other times my bike was slow accelerating.
by monday i learned how to work with it, and if the bike was accelerating i would hit the rear brake to help balance it. it was hard being in a group, it seems better for solo riding.

i had headphones in and a small mp3 player in my pants pocket. it was easy to control volume and switch songs. if i didn't want to listen, i would just turn it off. on the way home, from the last gas station. i took out the plugs and used my bluetooth speakers in the helmet, not bad.

i wanted to use pandora but that would have killed my data plan! On saturday and sunday in the mountains there was a lot of spots with no reception.

i didn't want to spend money on a tank bag. I found a cheap one at walmart tho, coleman. it looked good and strong magnets, and only 30 bucks. Next time i will.

I used a kriega tail bag for my clothes and everything. At times my knees really needed to stretch out.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-29-14, 14:02
Decipher

Sounds like a great trip. You guys are lucky to have the know-how and extra parts. That saved you guys a ton of hassle. Too bad you had riders go down, but it seems like any time I hear about large groups riding, someone goes down. I think it has a small part to do with the group mentality and the need for less-experienced riders feeling like they have to hang.

Great read. Sounds like an epic trip.

Sent from my HTC One

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-14, 14:08 Thread Starter
Trevdawg

ya, they said every year there is always an issue, mechanical or someone going down.

but we told everyone we will always wait and try to stay in a group, to prevent that feeling of needing to catch up. Worse comes to worse we would make 2 groups - relaxed riders and more advanced ones and all meet at the same place in the end.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-19-14, 21:25 Thread Starter
Trevdawg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement