Michelin Power RS - Triumph675.Net Forums
Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-17, 22:30 Thread Starter
Cloner

Garage
Michelin Power RS

To keep from consuming a $450 set of slicks for Track Day duty I spooned on a set of Michelin Power RS tires. I have to say I was very impressed. Without warmers the RSs warmed up quickly and stuck perfectly up to about a 75% pace, which is about all I generally do as a control rider, anyway. Just to see I wicked a bit during the Expert sessions and found that they slide predictably and recover well. All told, I'll be back for more,

The best news, however, is that after two days' use it looks like I can probably get a couple more!

Judge for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	231409  

"Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."
---Robert A. Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-17, 22:51
KD675

What pressures were you running?
I'm guessing you have an rs up front too?
How was the wear on the front?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-17, 00:09 Thread Starter
Cloner
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Yup. 120/70 at 32 out front and 180/55 at 30 on the rear. Wish I could get Bridgestone slicks in 180. The 200s slow steering a bit.

Anyway, the front looks a little better than the rear. I tend to ride pretty hard on the front, so my tires wear pretty evenly. The more torque they make, the quicker they eat rears.

A shot of the front for ya....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	231425  

"Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."
---Robert A. Heinlein

post #4 of 9 Old 07-27-17, 20:14 Thread Starter
Cloner

Garage
Just to close this thread out fully......

Track day one went as described above. Excellent tires, excellent grip.

Track day two was a partial day with only about 30 miles of use. Much the same as day one also included in the initial description.

Track day three was a partial day, but not because I didn't want to ride. The tires went until mid morning before the rear went away at the shoulders (OK....the right shoulder, as the track I ride most often has a predominance of right handers) and began sliding like mad. I continued to ride the remainder of the morning just to get a refresher on what it feels like to ride COMPLETELY shagged tires, but they were definitely gone. All told, still a good experience. They lasted a total of around 180 miles, the last 30 in a fully shagged state, so they were good for a solid 150 miles at my normal track day pace.

For comparison, a set of Bridgestone slicks last around 50 miles on the same bike at a race pace, stick twice as well, but cost twice as much. That makes the Power RSs a decent deal, I think.

I'll fit a set of Q3+ next to see how they do. They're in the back of the truck now.

---Robert A. Heinlein
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-17, 23:28
01ragtop

I didn't use mine on the track, but had similar experience. They lasted 1400 miles on the street before the left was toast and became very slick. I can spin them up at will, however, they still recover nicely. The center still has plenty of life, but I rarely commute. Most of my riding is in the canyons of SoCal.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-17, 20:30
KD675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloner View Post
I'll fit a set of Q3+ next to see how they do. They're in the back of the truck now.
Any updates on the q3's compared to the rs's?

Last edited by KD675; 08-15-17 at 20:31. Reason: messed up the quote
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-17, 22:26
Ditch Doctor

Garage
@KD675 I have some thoughts on the Q3... i LOVE them
but you cannot push them hard at the track. at least not in A group at progressive leans... they just dont have what it takes

but they are my go to for street... lasted me 5k Hard twisty miles. always run F34/36 R32/34 and then F32, R29/30 on the street.
my track temps very on several conditions..

I have not ran the RS at the track, i would like too... but i am on to 'race/track' tires only now... slicks or i lose it

hope that helps

That Others May Live
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-17, 12:43 Thread Starter
Cloner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD675 View Post
Any updates on the q3's compared to the rs's?

Track day this Saturday, so I'll drop a note next week, probably in a new Q3+ thread.

As to tires sliding at a pace, Ditch Doctor, I have a high tolerance for tires that move around a lot from racing vintage motorcycles for years, so my experiences might be different from others'. That said, I generally look for tires that slide "well". That is, I look for tires that slide predictably and recover predictably. The worst experiences I ever had were with early race radials in the late '80s/early '90s when they'd grip as well as or better than bias race rubber like the old K591Rs, then simply let go without warning and no chance at recovery. I still shiver.....but at least they were MOSTLY low-side crashes. :)

---Robert A. Heinlein
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-17, 09:34
KD675

Thanks for the input ditch doctor.

Thanks for the update Cloner. I'll keep an eye out for a new thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement